| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: URGENT HELP NEEDED!!  (Read 5821 times)
smurfit

« on: July 19, 2010, 06:48:04 pm »

I do hope someone will be able to help me tonight!  My husband is driving our Renault Espace at the moment.  At least he is on the Ferry between England and Belgium.

The car is a 1995 Espace Allize 2.0 petrol (I think) and it is fitted with the Cobra alarm system.

As he got to the ferry port the immobiiser started playing up.  He had stopped for petrol and when he tried to start the car again he pressed the green button and nothing happened (normally the indicator lights come on or something and you can start the car) - I don't drive this one very often so I'm sorry I don't know the details.

Anyway he tried again and it worked.

He is on the ferry now and obviously has stopped and left the car.  I am in a panic in case when he goes to it in the morning it won't start.  Could it be the battery in the key fob that is on its way out or is there another solution?

I would be extremely grateful for any help and info before 8am tomorrow!!  I don't fancy a 9 hour drive to Belgium to rescue him  Roll Eyes

Elmo the Espace

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 11:03:29 pm »

Hi,
Do you have a spare key fob if so try remotely unlocking the espace with your mobile phones.
It could be the battery in the fob even if the light flashes in the fob it may not have enough power to transmit a signal. if you can measure the voltage of the battery or try unlocking then locking the Espace if you need to go closer every time its usualy due to the battery voltage going down.
If it is a infra red fob try holding up against a camera phone on video you should see a flash.

1965 Land rover 2a SWB
1966 Land Rover 2a SWB
2 x 1994 2.0i Espace's
Transit 140 bhp limited SWB 2009
smurfit

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 11:22:09 pm »

First of all thank you very much for responding.

However, I may be a bit stupid but I don't quite see how he can remotely operate it using a mobile phone.

We have a spare key fob but guess what?  It is here with me in the middle of France while the car is with my husband on the overnight Ferry to Zeebrugge!!

It hasn't caused problems until today - other than the usual nightmare with the system if you don't start the engine quickly enough.  The car has been in a garage this morning having a new exhaust fitted - is there a chance that they may have mucked up the syncro on the immobiliser do you think?
Elmo the Espace

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 11:31:02 pm »

Try calling your husband when he answers the phone get him to hold the phone near the alarm reciver and press the unlock button on your fob and it should unlock your Espace.
It has worked for me before on my old celica which had a cobra alarm.
If they disconected the battery i wouldnt of thought it would cause a problem.

1965 Land rover 2a SWB
1966 Land Rover 2a SWB
2 x 1994 2.0i Espace's
Transit 140 bhp limited SWB 2009
smurfit

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 11:37:54 pm »

Aha I see  Roll Eyes

Sorry I'm a bit dim - it's been a stressful evening.  Thanks for that idea I'll give it a try in the morning if the car doesn't start and I'll text him tonight in the hope he'll get a better sleep!!

No way would I have ever thought of doing that but hey - why not.  The car's locked on the lower decks at the moment so we can't test it - anyway, I don't think I'd get him on the mobile in the middle of the North Sea - so no good texting him either I guess  Embarrassed

Many thanks!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: