| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Drivers door not locking - 2.2 DCI Grand Espace  (Read 14456 times)
colin4255

« on: March 05, 2010, 10:35:05 pm »

We all walk away from our cars, plip the key, hear the door locks go clunk and assume it locked. Today I discovered my driver door is not locking. I have no idea how long its not been working for either! Lucky no one decided to open it and remove stuff!  All the other doors and tailgate do lock OK, just not drivers door. Car is fitted with a Cobra Thatcham Cat 1 alarm system and it seems OK. Key batteries were changed about a month ago, so they are OK too.  I am guessing the solenoid or door lock motor in the drivers door has failed. Car starts and runs fine, no other issues with alarm or anything.

I assume I will just have to remove door panel trim and look see what is wrong.  Is this a common problem? Is it easy to swap the door lock electrics? Any tips or useful hints before I go to work?

Thanks.
renaultbiler

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 08:37:01 am »

Before dismatling anything on the door, disconnect the door loom connector and check it for corrotion. Reconnect and see if all doors are working. Occaisonally these connectors makes poor connection, or the cable from door to the connector is broken due to tear and wear.

1980 Alpine A-310 w/GTA 2.5 V6 Turbo
2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
Service Online: www.servicehefte.net/servdata/?cid=qqkX
jack daniels

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 08:49:31 pm »

it probably is a common problem.
the small wires in the door opening have very hard and brittle isolation which seems to just crack and split.
My LH mirror sometimes can only be adjusted with the door open.
The LH rear door had the same problem with the lock, a broken cable in the door opening was the cause.

Espace, Grand (magnifique, formidable, grandiose, considérable, noble, ample) III  
2002   JE02   F4R  DP0   2.0L 16v auto
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 07:43:38 am »

I agree with Tom and Jack. About 3 quaters of a year ago, I couldn't operate the right hand side window. It would only wind down. Not particuarly practical! Wink
I thought it was the switches initially, but it was the wiring to the connector on the door pillar. Here's a photo of the broken wire:

Incidentially, Google street view caught me driving with the window down one cold day in May Smiley

/Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
colin4255

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 03:02:09 pm »

Thanks guys - yes thats the problem - a broken wire. Suppose buying origianl equipment parts will mean a complete new door loom? Guess I will have to try and repair
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 04:25:19 pm »

Thanks guys - yes thats the problem - a broken wire. Suppose buying origianl equipment parts will mean a complete new door loom? Guess I will have to try and repair

Correct, and the price for a new loom is crazy. As far as I remember, I was quoted 2.500 DKK, about 300 GBP! Repair is cheaper, and probably almost as good.

/Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
colin4255

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 04:46:15 pm »

OK. Not easy but I have managed to make a repair using wire strippers and a small connector block (screw type). Lets hope it lasts. It seems everything for the espace parts wise are very costly. You would have thought anyone sensible would have put a plug at both ends of a short wiring loom that just connected between the door and the body.

Thanks for your help guys - car now locks OK. In future I am going to check this more often!
jack daniels

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 08:21:43 pm »

it's possible to disasemble the female connector after removing the whole loom from the door.
then carefully open the crimps holding the wires.
re-crimp in new wires about 50 cm long, then join the new and old wires so that the joins are inside the door and not right there in the door opening.

It seems that another common point of wear in the door opening is the thing that stops the door opening too far. I thinks it's called "door strap" in swedish anyway. All 4 doors have the same part no. It's probably a good idea to replace that as well while you have the door apart Collin4255, they are about 40 euro.

Espace, Grand (magnifique, formidable, grandiose, considérable, noble, ample) III  
2cv

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 10:00:50 pm »

Hi
I have the same problem with my central locking driver side door (left side) is not working. I have checked the wires in the connector and they seems to be OK but then there are many wires in the connector. Is there anybody in this forum who has the colour code for the wire going to the door lock or alternative the position in connector?

Best regards
Lars
jack daniels

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 10:02:54 am »

the only notes I've made are a diagram of what colour is in what position in the yellow connector, for the left rear door.

I think it may be one of these 2 connectors, probably the white with green stripe and the orange.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: