| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Electrickery !  (Read 7457 times)
Sparky

« on: March 12, 2010, 06:32:08 pm »

Electrical  gremlins have started on our 2002 Grand espace 2.2 DCi.

1'st the alarm system has become extra sensitive with anyone walking within a couple of metres of the car will set the alarm off. To lock the doors manually I've to lock the central-locking on the roof console and then lock the passenger door ( RHD) which can be a bit of a pain at times.
Does anyone know of any adjustment for this ?

2'Nd After filling the tank the other day and resetting the mileage trip to zero as normal, the odometer was showing 47900 miles no problem there but when I went out later in the day I noticed that the trip was showing 117 miles where it should have been  reading nearly 80 miles.
It was then that I noticed that the Odometer had also increased to 75867 miles.
My first thought was that the dash had inadvertently converted over to Km's from miles, so when I next stopped I checked the hand book and changed the miles to Km's and back to miles again to no avail.

To change from miles to Km's put the ignition key to the A (Accessories) position and depress the end of the wiper stalk till the instrument display flashes, then press the M (minute) button on the instrument panel to select either Miles or Km's. If you press the H (Hour) button you can deselect the oil temperature bar graph   Undecided

The speedometer is working fine but now the mileage trip and odometer have stopped increasing at all. So why the worrying extra 28000 miles ! What is the cure?

Sparky

Drives:
Renault Grand Espace III 2.2Dci The Race
Renault SL29 Trafic 1.9Dci, Citroen XM 2.1TD Break
BMW's K1200LT, R1100GS & R65
BrianM

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 05:56:02 pm »

It is a little bizare that you have this problem. There is either an issue in the dash or the B11. I would suspect maybe some corrosion in the B11. It is a difficult one do do anything with. Milage is recorded in the 908 chip in both dash & B11. If one increases the other will match it. It can be changed with a device called Tacho universal, with this the chips do not need to be removed. But a couple of chip pins have to be de-soldered & lifted during the process, then resoldered. It is not something you would do yourself as the device is around £350 to buy. Then there is no guarantee the milage will not jump again. You could consider replacing the ecu, B11 & dash. I have just done this for £175. You must also get the key fobs that are matched, so all items must come from the same car. Or just live with it. Of course if you are into electronics you can get a 908 programmer for £150. Remove the chips, correct the mileage & refit them as many times as you like  Smiley
Hope this helps.
Sparky

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 02:24:42 am »

At the end of July the odometer started working again with the original mileage restored and the trip functioning correctly. It has not recorded any of the mileage done during the last 4 months.  Anyone have any ideas ?

The alarm is still playing up. It seems to be the front sensors under the dash as when I disconnected the rear sensor by the tailgate, the alarm goes off when anything goes near the car.

Cheers Sparky

Drives:
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 07:31:00 pm »

Electrical  gremlins have started on our 2002 Grand espace 2.2 DCi.

1'st the alarm system has become extra sensitive with anyone walking within a couple of metres of the car will set the alarm off. To lock the doors manually I've to lock the central-locking on the roof console and then lock the passenger door ( RHD) which can be a bit of a pain at times.
Does anyone know of any adjustment for this ?

It's not an adjustment, it's usually a faulty rear sensor.  It used to be a common fault when I was at Renault.  As you say anyone going near the car triggered the system!

Above the rear tailgate should be an alarm interior movement sensor mounted with the interior light.  Disconnect the alarm sensor from the system and try it without it connected. You should find it will be O.K. again.

This is a Cobra system not a Renault factory item and they were fitted at the U.K. import centre or sometimes the dealer.  As the internal volume of the car is large they had two movement sensors, one at the front and another at the rear.  The rear ones for some odd reason were usually the faulty ones.

Roy
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 12:14:20 am by roy4matra » Logged

Sparky

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 11:22:38 pm »

Roy,

thanks for the info, I've already tried this by removing the rear sensor completely, the I'll try this when time permits.

Cheers

Drives:
BrianM

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 02:45:03 pm »

Try turning the volumetric off. There is a button switch in the drivers door jam by the vent into the door to do this. Sounds like you may have water ingress into either the dash or footwell where the b11 is. Dampness may have caused your  mileage problem.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: