| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: very bad fuel consumption and it a diesel?  (Read 25276 times)
ESPACED

« on: February 01, 2010, 11:38:09 pm »

Hi guys.. I don't understand why I'm getting such  poor mileage.
It looks like I’m averaging 20 miles per gallon and I’ve got no leaks???
I put £30.00 @ 1.14 a litre which is approx 26.31 litres = 5.77 gallons and I’m looking at getting 120 miles if I’m lucky.
I know its town driving but surly it should be better than this..
New air filter and oil has been changed glow plugs a year old.
Engine was rebuilt a year ago.
Any ideas please...

Tony Cry
BrianM

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 11:29:33 pm »

Has this been like it since the rebuild? What engine/year is it, dci?
ESPACED

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 08:11:10 pm »

Hi Brian,
Don’t know what mileage was before as I bought the espace as a non runner... when I went to Ireland last year I was getting 32 miles to the gallon on the motorway, I put that to the heavy load and the roof box and high speeds.
I do think its got worse lately ...it’s a 1998 2.2 turbo diesel, smokes a bit when pushed hard through the gears but in general OK..
Oh have been driving quite calmly..
Wondering if  it’s to do with the injectors, didn’t change them apart from one..
always used diesel .. no veg oil yet..
Any advice on getting this fuel bill down / get me at lest to 30 odd miles to the gallon  or more will be appreciated..
many thanks
Tony
marko ucha

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 11:53:09 am »

sell that 2.2 diesel, and bay 2.o 16v and convert it to LPG.....  Wink You will have more £ in your pocket after that mileage than using diesel powered espace!!!!!!!!! and no smokes, no smells, and you well be faster!

« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 12:00:24 pm by marko ucha » Logged

Rebault Grand Espace 2.0 16v automatic
colin4255

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 09:42:41 pm »

It may just be the cold weather (at least to us in the UK its cold). My Grand Espace 2.2dci always does between 36 and 38 mpg loaded, empty it makes no odds really. In last three weeks of cold weather it has been drinking diesel - 25 - 27mpg at best. I got it checked, everything OK. A colleague of mine who is a diesel fitter said many diesels just don't like cold weather, especially on short runs (I do less than 25 miles a day just going to work) My boss has an 08 plate Audi A4 diesel and its beejn doing the same thing in the cold weather - really drinking fuel. My espace has one of those irritating pre-heater things under the LHS fron wing. It cuts in at below 2 degrees c and uses up yet more fuel trying to warm up the engine. Mines done about 114,000 miles and up until it went cold in the Uk its been fine. In last week since it warmed up a bit, its not been too bad.

Most common reason for poor fueld economy is a fault air flow meter. or a blocked air filter.  The meters  do go wrong, but normally, you would notice it being very sluggish at low speed in any gear, picking up speed only slowly and it just feeling 'flat' when you try accelerating. If its running fine apart from consumption and it has a clean air filter in it and clean oil, it may just not like the cold!!

I
ESPACED

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 01:16:44 am »

Hi Colin,
I have thought that... and also it maybe a fiddle at the diesel pumps..I've tried a different station this time..
I hope this weekend will be dry so I can check under the bonnet incase the air filter has become blocked..
I will let you know my results
many thanks
Tony
colin4255

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 09:04:27 pm »

Since it warmed up, my espace consumption is back to normal almost. I can' stress enough the need for:-

1. Clean air filter - good quality, not a cheap one
2. Regular oil changes and good quality fully synthetic oil
3. DO NOT ever use cheap supermarket diesel, pay more and get good quality fuel, it always pays you back in the end. I only ever use Total Exellium, or Shell V-Power now and car runs way, way better.

If the car is down on pwer and its fuel related, or EGR valve related, its likely to chuck out a lot of smoke under pweer or acceleration. Or you may even smell unburnt fuel if its over-fuelling. If thats all OK, I'd look at obvious things first.

Also, have you thought about sticking brakes,? I once had a BMW 530i, that got a sticking caliper - played havoc with the fuel consumption - only found out when another issue came up with the brakes.  Espace handbrakes are notorious for sticking partially on and we (or at least some of us in the UK) have been driving round in an awful lot of salt on the roads over the winter.
ESPACED

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 12:52:32 am »

Hi, Sorry for the very late reply.
Found out one of the reasons for the very bad fuel consumption..
Bad tyre pressure. I had 2 new tyres fitted to the front of the car and was told that they had the correct tyres pressure.. on checking it last week. They were very well under pressure.
Have managed to get a better fuel return.. Nearly 30 to the gallon but need to do a few more test runs..
Many thanks for those who have replied
slowly getting there..
Tony
 Grin
colin4255

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 07:34:52 pm »

yep, that would do it. Biggest cause of poor fuel consumption is badly inflated tyres, its also dangerous and costly.  Then  badly serviced cars (blocked air filters, engine oil past its best), then bad quality fuel. The list is endless but checking the most obvious things is always a good idea
colin4255

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 04:10:35 pm »

Here is a more definitive list from a website of mine - www.petrol-save.co.uk  This may help

Blow Up Your Tyres. Under inflated tyres increase resistance which harms your fuel consumption. According to ATS in the UK, around half the tyres touching the road in Britain are under inflated!  Check your car manual for the recommended pressure then go to your local garage, it'll cost you between 20p and 50p to get your tyres correctly inflated. Check every 2 weeks as car tyres constantly loose air!   

This alone will save you up to 3.5% of your fuel costs and you'll get one third more mileage from your tyres. Also, your car will stop better in an emergency and pull up straight, helping avoid a nasty accident.   Worn or bald tyres also reduce fuel economy.

Reduce weight. Almost 20% of cars are carrying around the weight of an average adult. Almost one third, the weight of an average child!  Check your glove-box, check your door pockets and check your boot.  Remove that junk, those golf clubs and those un-used tools from the boot.  Every 100lbs (50kg) will add 2.5% to the cost of your motoring in fuel terms. Loose items in a car are also a menace in an accident. An un-secured laptop for example, can cut right through a car seat (and its occupant) in a crash at 50mph!

Reduce more weight.  Petrol weighs about 6lbs a gallon (2.72kgs) and Diesel weighs about 6.6lbs a gallon (3 kgs).  Ten gallons of diesel weighs 30 kilo's. So instead of filling up your car, half fill it and you'll not be carrying all that extra weight around. You do the maths and see how much half a tank of fuel in your car weighs.  Drive an MPV? Can you remove those un-used seats? Seats in a Renault Espace weight about 27 kilo's each. I took two out and already I'm carrying round one less teenager(117 lbs)  in my car and saving fuel! It takes two minutes to put them back in when I need them.

Improve aerodynamics. Roof racks left on can reduce your fuel consumption considerably, while leaving an un-used roof box on top of your MPV is like dragging an open parachute around! Remove your roof racks, bike racks, roof bars and roof boxes - and do it now!

Regular Servicing is a must!  Only about 50% of your engines power ends up being used to propel your car forward, the rest is lost in heat and friction. Dirty engine oil increases friction and increases heat. Regularly changing your oil (and filter!) reduces the wear caused by friction of moving engine parts and also helps improve fuel consumption. For petrol cars, change the oil at least every 10,000 miles or once a year. For diesel engines, every 7,500 miles or about every 9 months. Modern synthetic oils now used in diesels mean you no longer have to change oil twice a year. A dirty air filter will reduce the volume of air getting into your engine. These items are cheap and should be changed every 5,000 miles or so. You WILL notice better performance and better fuel economy.

Car Wheel Alignment.  Most cars front wheels are tracked so they toe-in or turn inwards slightly. But, hit a kerb and the result could be your wheels get knocked out of alignment., which apart from the damage it will do to your tyres, will also upset your cars handling, especially in an emergency. This will cause your car to work up to 10% harder to push itself along the road, and it will accelerate the wear on your tyres considerably. Badly aligned wheels will reduce your fuel consumption. It costs around £20 - £25 at any major tyre fitting bay to get your wheels re-aligned. It will save you money, it will save your tyres and it could save your life.

Chip Your Engine.  Remapping an engine is  now being used to  improve fuel economy. Some chipping companies even claim improvements of up to 15%. It can cost from £300, so its probably only worth doing if you drive a very thirsty car.
If all this seems a bit anal (as a colleague here puts it). Just remember, if you can save between £400 and £500 a year, it will almost pay for Christmas or a short holiday! That's worth thinking about isn't it?

Slow Down!   When driving on the motorway try and limit your speed as much as traffic around you allows you to. The average car consumes 38% more fuel at 70pmh than it does at 50mph. Avoiding high speeds on motorways can save a lot of petrol.
Aerodynamic drag increases exponentially  above 70mph so your fuel consumption will  suffer. The average driver traveling at 90mph on a motorway will spend £1.20 more on fuel every eight minutes than a driver traveling at 70mph - that's £9.75 per hour!!  The 90mph driver will have traveled farther in that time but will still be spending 40 per cent more per mile than the 70mph driver. A driver of the average car travelling 10,000 motorway miles in a year at 80mph would spend on average £518 more on fuel than if he had driven the same distance at 60mph. The price of a short holiday??

So now you know!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: