| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Fan Belt and Radiator Replacement  (Read 16409 times)
jag

« on: March 15, 2010, 02:40:57 pm »

Hello Again To All,

I was under the espace the other day and noticed that the fanbelt grooves are showing signs of wear. I havn't replaced it since owning the car from 2001, but I think I had better do that now before the dam thing breaks on me unexpectedly. Any info on how easy it is or not would be most welcome.

Also noticed that the bottom part of the radiator is a bit green/blue, showing that there must be a bit of a leak, but never see anything on the drive and don't have to top up my expansion bottle that often.  But this leak will get worse one day and I would rather replace the radiator before then. Again any info on how easy or difficult this task is, would be most appreciated. Just for info my air con hasn't worked for about a year I have had it re-gassed in the past and  it lasts for about 6/9 months.
So I obviously havn't got any gas in th air con system, is this going to make the job a bit easier to disconnect the air con pipes from the rad.
Much appreciated for any help

1999  Grand Espace 2.2 dTi RTX
2003  Peugeot 206 1.4 Hdi LX
jack daniels

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 10:23:57 am »

hi Jag.
 your A/C system may have some pressure in there even though the cooling dosn't work. Not high enough to be dangerous to work on but high enough to keep out air and moisture. If you just disconnect a pipe and let air in then that could cause a problem later should you decide to fix the A/C and get it working again. I had a leaking compressor and the filter/dryer replaced a couple of weeks back and that was enough to get the A/C up and running again without costing too much.
     As for the leak, if it's not dripping on the driveway or consuming fluid then I'd postpone the radiator shift untill it gets worse. Maybe you can check over the front of the radiator for stone and  debri damage, and the hose clips. A likely cause could be a perished rubber hose if the hoses are also 11 years old.
     personally I change the fanbelt and coolant quite often just to play it safe.
what is the motor code for your car?   

Espace, Grand (magnifique, formidable, grandiose, considérable, noble, ample) III  
2002   JE02   F4R  DP0   2.0L 16v auto
jag

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 11:17:56 am »

Hi JD,

Do you mean the oval plate number ?
Also what about the fan belt is that quite easy and is there a tensioner that you move to get the belt on and off.  The tensioner on the  peugeot 206 is like that, it's a piece of cake to replace the fan belt on the pug.

Regards and Many thanks J

renaultbiler

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 04:23:56 pm »

The genuine BERU radiator seems to suffer on many of these after 10 years or so, they are available from NISSENS and best buy is probably on ebay (mine was).

Exchanging can be done without dismantling or disconnecting any AC system component if you exchange it from the top rather than drop the complete package as described by Renault.

You can see some picture from when i replaced it here: http://www.servicehefte.net/servdata/?pid=czqkk-qqqX
Should give you an idea, looks worse than it is. Quite simple actually, just a lot of dismantling. 1-2 hrs and you are done if you have all tools etc on your hand.

1980 Alpine A-310 w/GTA 2.5 V6 Turbo
2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
Service Online: www.servicehefte.net/servdata/?cid=qqkX
jack daniels

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 09:12:44 pm »

the motor code may be on the oval plate, it could resemble G9X, G8T, F3R, L7X etc.
and the model code which is probably something like JEON, JEOL etc

depending on where you live you may be able to find a car parts website where you can enter your reg. number and the details will show up, or it could be on the reg. documents.

Espace, Grand (magnifique, formidable, grandiose, considérable, noble, ample) III  
jag

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 02:23:31 pm »

Hi JD,

My oval plate number is VF8JEOEL518705282

jack daniels

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 02:38:23 pm »

jag,
your motor seems to be a G8T-716
there is a tensioner, probably similar to your 206

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: