| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1994 Front suspension tie/torsion bar  (Read 6516 times)
GrahamT

« on: February 20, 2010, 11:36:52 pm »

Hiya,
Not sure what the exact name for this bar is but it goes from the top suspension arm (on top of the hub) to the front of the wheel arch and attaches to the inner wing.

The MOT test resulted in an "advisory" for the bush which is part of the joint on the inner arch end of the bar.
Is the bush replaceable or do I have to get a whole new bar?
Is it much of a job? I do pretty much all my own maintenance.
If it's a new bar I have to fit I see it is adjustable (what (camber, castor, etc) is adjusted?) so how do I know when it's right?

This refers to my 1994 2.1TD UK Espace :-)

Many thanks for any help,
Cheers,
Graham

Elmo the Espace

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 12:46:02 am »

Hi Graham,
It is the front radius arm/tie bar,
Im not sure if you can still get these from Euro car parts.
If you email roy then he should be able to help you if the part numbers from Renault last time i phoned renault they were around £100 per side that was a few years ago.
When i changed mine i had the tracking and camber checked which both were out even after making sure the arms were the same length.
If the steering tracks fine and no uneven tyre wear you may be better off waiting to next year due to the price off them.
They do tend to have back and forth movement and even if they have adviced that only one side needs doing I would still replace them as a pair.
I hope this helps
Chris

1965 Land rover 2a SWB
1966 Land Rover 2a SWB
2 x 1994 2.0i Espace's
Transit 140 bhp limited SWB 2009
GrahamT

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 01:01:40 am »

Hi Chris, thanks for the advice, I'll try my local Espace friendly garage. I'll only pester Roy if I get stuck  Grin
Cheers,
Graham
GrahamT

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 03:50:35 am »

Well, I had a chat with my local Renault dealer and was told the bad news. £125 +vat for one. I wanted to do both sides but just can't afford it.
I wanted to know why they were so expensive and during the course of the conversation the chap said that these parts used to be around £40 each but Renault have put the price up due to Matra going out of business. Well, I was fuming. As far as I was concerned that was simply profiteering on Renault's part.
I ordered one anyway and was told it'd take about 10 days.

I did complain (a rant  Smiley) to head office and a woman called me back. She said the part had never been £40 and she spoke to the local dealer and they deny ever saying it!! Anyway, she was quite nice and understanding and asked a lot of "marketing" type questions but in the end she could only tell me that I was on the "priority" list and would be the first to receive this particular part.

A couple of days later I called the dealer about the part and he told me "Head Office had had a word about it"  Grin and then went on to tell me the part is due to arrive at the end of April!!   Shocked
Not happy.

GrahamT

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 03:56:06 am »

Rant over  Smiley Smiley

I still fail to see why this part is so expensive. It is a simple rubber bush that has failed. There are much bigger bushes around and nowhere near that price.

I would be interested to know the price and availability of this part in France in particular (where my part is coming from!). Part number is 7700784745.

I am also looking into the possibility of replacing the rubber bush with a polyurathane bush. If I get anywhere I'll update this thread. Anyone done anything similar?

Sorry for the rant  Grin
Thanks for reading!
Cheers,
Graham
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: