| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Murena sooo gooood!  (Read 12377 times)
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« on: March 28, 2010, 11:00:08 pm »

Hello boys,

as you know from other topic, I had to face some more powerfull cars at National Grand Prix UAMK on Most circuit. My friend with Mercedes 190E 2,5-16V wrote me on starting list for a big race last saturday. There were also Audi Quattro Turbo, BMW E30 M3, BMW 325i, Ford Capri 2,8 V6, Jaguar XJS V12, 2x Lancia Delta HF 2,0T and next 4 Mercedeses 2,5-16V in my category - Historic +2000 ccm. Unluckily, I was ill from week-end before till Tuesday, and on Wednesday I had to make a business trip far away from my home. So there were only Thursday to prepare my Murena cos I wanted to test it on circuit on Friday morning. First of all I had to make rear screen from plexi-glass, engine cover from alu sheet, change tires to Toyo Proxes 195/50 and 215/45 R15, set the front axle more to negative, and change silentblocs on front stabilisator to polyurethan ones. Next things I missed, because lowering the suspension was not possible because I wasn't able to move the big round nut on my Spax dampers Sad than I didn't make demounting of door panels + window engines + windows, because is too much work for so little weight reduction. And I hadn't enough time...
 So on Friday, I came to circuit and watched some other cars because it was a day for public. Opel Corsa OPC made it in 2:16, BMW M3 (aprox.2008) did 2:12, Porsche GT3RS 2:02. Than came old Porsche 911 3,0 and made it in 2:24. So I removed the spare wheel and all things from my car and went to the circuit. I did it in 2:15, but after 2 laps my brakes were only as passengers  Embarrassed I think that brake fluid has been boiled... But race was by the "one lap" system, so it had to be sufficient for it.
There were lot of beautifull cars, see it here: http://michaltalbot.rajce.idnes.cz/Most_10_UAMK/#album
 And how does it happend? I was 4th!  Shocked The first was Audi Quattro, than Mercedes 2,5-16V, the third was BMW E30 M3 and fourth me with my Murena!!! All cars before me were on semi-slicks and without interiors, equiped by Sparco seats, and lot of race parts. Everyone says that semi-slicks could bring 4 - 5 seconds in Most.
 Murena again prooved that was made by professionals and that still can be a big competitor to much younger and more powerfull cars, merci messieurs Guédon, Lagardére, Garavelloni, Caussin!

PS: later I will add some videos on Youtube.

krede
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 11:18:57 pm »

Seriously !!!.. you must be one HELL of a driver to keep up with cars like that in a 150 hp Murena!... very nice!!

ps: That skoda turbo looks ridiculous!!
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 11:56:25 pm »

Thanks  Wink true is, that I have a big advantage - lots of experiences on this circuit with Murena and also with my bike (Kawa ZX6R Ninja) - which I've sold just today. Believe it or not - in training on Friday, I met that new Porsche GT3RS, he overtook me at the end of first two curves, but after half a lap, he was only cca 100m ahead. Maybe that I will spend money from my bike to build really hot Murena with 2,2Turbo to beat them all Grin because this was only the first Grand Prix of 2010 Championship.

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 10:23:27 am »

Nice pics, I guess you were the only Matra there.
You defended the name with honor and good result for a almost standard car.
Once you sniffed at this kind of racing, there is always the need for more modification, but were would it end?
Did you change your mind about originality?
Personal I don't like to bring the car to the limits anymore.
It's almost 30 years old and the engine is a bit tired, but still in good order.
I am waiting for the big bang in the back with the rattle of dead, and not prepared a reserve yet.
Parts are getting more difficult to get, and have a price.
I like to keep the car in one piece.
However it must have been a fun day. Grin

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 11:06:42 am »

I am waiting for the big bang in the back with the rattle of dead,
Aren't we all?? Smiley
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 01:27:09 pm »

Yes, I really have presented Murena as an georgeous car and lot of people now know about it. And after this week-end Murena will take a place in lot of PCs Wink
I haven't changed my mind about the originality, and have demounted all mods just on Sunday, my red "S" will allways be strightly original. So I decided to buy some wreck of Murena and will take it back on the road also with original look. I abide by that when someone who never seen Murena must see its original look. But I will do only technical modifications, but again in spirit of Talbot-Matra technologies. The cleares from my point of view is to have the N9T engine with Turbo, so N9TEA with 180PS is the best choice. Spax or Koni suspension is big plus and I think that all system is able to work with cca 200PS. I'm going to paint it in Matra colours, but it's still a question if I will decide to invest the money in it...

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 07:21:23 pm »

Well done, Michal! It doesn't only take a good car to make it 4th in a race, it also takes a very skilled  driver!

Cheers from the Matra home country! Wink
Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 08:29:10 pm »

Thank you all for nice comments  Wink

suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 10:02:27 pm »

So I decided to buy some wreck of Murena and will take it back on the road also with original look. I abide by that when someone who never seen Murena must see its original look. But I will do only technical modifications, but again in spirit of Talbot-Matra technologies
You're being tempted over to the dark side, I can tell Wink
GP
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 01:23:56 am »

Well done Michal, an excellent drive and result  that does you and the Murena proud.  Grin

GP
GP
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 07:44:37 pm »

Just returned from my first Sprint of the season. A cold windy exposed airfield at Noth Weald in Essex,  U.K. with a few marker cones to weave in and out of.
Did O.K. See attachment car No: 32, Class A3, 2 litres unlimited modified roadgoing, with times quite good when compared to the up to 2 litre cars in Class A2.
Tyres used TOYO R888 Compound SG which are absolutely fantastic for a Murena. Plenty of grip and very progressive in a slide.
People asked me what I had been doing to the car. I forgot to mention the tyres and just said I had adjusted the tappets.  Wink

GP
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 07:55:28 pm by GP » Logged
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 09:17:29 pm »

Just returned from my first Sprint of the season. A cold windy exposed airfield at Noth Weald in Essex,  U.K. with a few marker cones to weave in and out of.
Did O.K. See attachment car No: 32, Class A3, 2 litres unlimited modified roadgoing, with times quite good when compared to the up to 2 litre cars in Class A2.
Tyres used TOYO R888 Compound SG which are absolutely fantastic for a Murena. Plenty of grip and very progressive in a slide.
People asked me what I had been doing to the car. I forgot to mention the tyres and just said I had adjusted the tappets.  Wink

GP
Hi Graham. Congrtatulations on a fine result. Grin That must have been lots of fun.

Matranaut par excellence Cool
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 09:25:29 pm »

Wink very nice! And also in other categories we can see many cars which are much younger or powerfull than Murena behind You Smiley
 There is a lot of modifications you can do on cars like Golf, BMW, Ford, Peugeot, etc. but everything you want to apply on Murena become a non-sense or have allready been done by Matra constructers - Murena is really excellent car! And I fully agree with Your comment to Toyo tyres, they have very good grip and in side slide You still have the car under control.

On Saturday 17 April, I am going to try next race - uphill climbing on the closed road. I don't want to crash my Murena so I think that my position will be much worse than on circuit, but just for having some experiences Wink

GP
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 05:55:46 pm »

Hi Graham. Congrtatulations on a fine result. Grin That must have been lots of fun.
[/quote]

Hi Jon,

Thankyou and yes it is great fun. The beauty of a sprint on an Airfield is that there is nothing really to hit except for the odd orange road cone. If anyone has the urge to try out their pride and joy with minimal risk, this is the way to start as I did myself.

See attachment for circuit layout.

Cheers,

Graham
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 08:21:13 pm »

Small inspiration for You GP - here is a video from Most  Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOqba_ltytQ

And something for TopGear lovers  Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoJO9FaeKmg

Translation of speaker is bellow the video  Cheesy

Pages: [1] Print