| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Frog eyes open light on instrument panel  (Read 10697 times)
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« on: April 26, 2010, 11:58:19 am »

We have talked about the differences in indicator lights on the instrument panel before.

But this weekend I finally took time to find out for sure what the loose, white wire was. It is hanging from the loom under the heater valve in the front compartment.

I connected it to the ground wire on the chassis and turned on the ignition. As I had suspected, it was the "frog eyes open" light that came on.

My question is now, what was that wire once connected to?  Huh I can find no mention of it in the schematics and there are no switches shown in Simons catalog.

I also question the necessity of the light. It is pretty obvious if the lights are up. Cheesy Of course, if they are not up, the light could indicate that the vacuum is OK and the problem therefore in the vacuum valve or selenoid.

Are there any of you who have the "frog eyes open" light working? If so what is it connected to?

Matranaut par excellence Cool
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 02:32:26 pm »

Just lookd in to this.

As I look at the diagram, it is about wire 30 that seems have no point to connect to.
However I have another older diagram found that shows that wire 30 goes to "I"  and ends near the vacuum switch.
This older diagram shows that it is not connected.
Probably they intended to make a vacuum switch there to control vacuum.

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 05:36:11 pm »

It's actually a "frog eyes low vacuum" alarm.  I suspect it's a hangover from the Bagheera which used the same instrument panel, but I don't believe any Murenas used it.  I too have the light but it's not connected.  In my handbook, the same position is shown as a choke warning light.
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 06:05:58 pm »

It's actually a "frog eyes low vacuum" alarm.  I suspect it's a hangover from the Bagheera which used the same instrument panel, but I don't believe any Murenas used it.  I too have the light but it's not connected.  In my handbook, the same position is shown as a choke warning light.
On the later models there is a switch by the choke handle in the gear shift surround. On those models the light on the instrument panel has a choke symbol instead.

What made me curious was that the No 30 wire is hanging loose out of the wireing loom under the heater valve in the front compartment. It has a female in-line connector on the end, so it appears that it was once connected to something. Huh

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 12:12:39 am »

The wire for this is not on my car, but I have the choke light.
Probably it is never used on any Murena.
In the parts manual there is also no sensor to be found in vacuum routing.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 12:33:07 am by Oetker » Logged

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 08:23:53 am »

Just lookd in to this.

As I look at the diagram, it is about wire 30 that seems have no point to connect to.
However I have another older diagram found that shows that wire 30 goes to "I"  and ends near the vacuum switch.
This older diagram shows that it is not connected.
Probably they intended to make a vacuum switch there to control vacuum.

Hi Oetker.

I meant to ask you where you found the older diagram that you show in your post? If the wire just terminates like shown, it corresponds exactly to what I seee on my car.

Since you have the choke light and probably choke switch, then that wire is routed to the switch. It is obvious if the light comes on when you pull up the choke lever. Wink

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 10:09:44 am »

It is part of dutch manual and papers I got from the last owner.
I also have a quick diagram with the car that shows a vacuumcontact "I"

It is obvious that the first drawings changed during produktion.
Maybe the first wiring looms had the wire planned, wich changed during time.

The Diagrams are in a worse state.
If I ever find the time  I will copy them and paste them together, because it is spread on several papers.
That will take some time.

JV

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 11:18:31 am »

I have the Dutch manual 1981 in an excellent state with those diagrams.

There are mentioned a vacuum contact (indicated as I) and a vacuum control light (indicated as Xs) in the instrument panel and there is no choke control light.
Also the users manual only mentions a vacuum control light in the dash.

However, my Murena dating from 1981 does not have a vacuum control light: it has a choke control light instead.

Obviously, they have decided to change this very early in the production process.

Jan Verdam
Matra Murena 2.2S bleue columbia
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 12:13:11 pm »

I have the Dutch manual 1981 in an excellent state with those diagrams.
--
Hello Jan.
Would it be possible for you to take photos of the diagrams and ledgens pages and post them here?

If they are too big you could instead mail them to me at weywadt@yahoo.com.

My '81 Murena has the frog-eye light, but no vacuum switch. It also does not have the choke switch. I am considering installing a choke switch and just let the frog-eye light serve as the choke warning. It is easy to forget the choke with no light shining in your eyes. Grin

JV

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 04:12:03 pm »

Hello Jan.
Would it be possible for you to take photos of the diagrams and ledgens pages and post them here?

I'll try if I have some time, but it is not that simple.
As Oetker wrote those diagrams are quite large (several papers). Therefore you cannot make a simple scan, but you have to make several scans of parts of the diagram and to paste them together afterwards. The most relevant parts are already shown by Oetker.

Jan Verdam
Matra Murena 2.2S bleue columbia
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 11:26:45 pm »

-----
I'll try if I have some time, but it is not that simple.
As Oetker wrote those diagrams are quite large (several papers). Therefore you cannot make a simple scan, but you have to make several scans of parts of the diagram and to paste them together afterwards. The most relevant parts are already shown by Oetker.

That is OK then. Don't go to a lot of trouble. It is just that I like to collect all the different information I can get on this old car and I would like to have diagrams that show the wireing of my particular model/year.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: