| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rear suspension adjustable?  (Read 8429 times)
sakarlsson

« on: August 17, 2006, 01:42:06 pm »

I got a Bagheera 77 and was about to remove the drive shafts.  In order to do that
it seems that one needs to swing low the rear suspension quite a bit.  Now the suspension looks to be
adjustable and and that same mechanism allowing for the suspension arm to swing lower and
not be stoped by the torosion bars being tensioned (backwards that is).  In the shop manual
one can also see that the adjustment mechanism is kind of separated like this in one picture.

Now, the problem with my car is that the adjustment mechanism is welded into a locked possition in two
spots each meaning I can't lower the suspension as I need.   Has anyone seen this? Is it done from
factory or has som "Dreaded Previous Owner" done this you think? And why?
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 11:30:25 am »

Hi
That the height adjustment on the Bagheera’s rear suspension get stuck is a well-known problem. Even with out welding the adjustment mechanism gets stuck. Actually I do not believe that your suspension is welded as the arm it self is cast aluminium and the torsion bars are made of steel which you can not weld together further the twisting of the torsion bar will cracks in the welding.

On my Bagheera 1974 I had the same problem: The suspension arms were corroded to the torsion bars. My solution was to purchase second set of second-hand rear suspension from Simon. On one set I cut away the alloy suspension arm so I had the torsion bars and the adjustment mechanism. On the other set I drilled and pressed out the torsion bars. After this I had the parts to assemble one set of fully functioning Bagheera rear suspension. I think that I do not have to mention that I gave the parts lots of grease before I assembled the parts.

On another Danish Bagheera from 1973 the problem was solved by soaking the torsion bars with some rust remover for long time, then a long ion rod (several meters long) was attached to the suspension arms and they managed to get the suspension arms loos.

Best of luck with your repaid work.

Hans
Spyros

I'm a real donkey!

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 11:11:49 am »

Hans,

Your solution is the best.
But in order to remove the half shafts, there is a much simple way.

1) Put a cric ( hydraulic or scissor) in the middle of the car where there is this arm tensionning the rear suspension.
2) Remove the 3 nuts holding this tensionning arm in position.
3) Lower the cric and hence the tensionning arm ( he might need some persuasion to go down)
4) spray with wd40 or penetrating oil the torsion bars where they go into the suspension arm and in the middle.
5) between the suspension arm and the sills cover, introduce a flat screwdriver and remove the little cover that should be there to close the hole of the torsion bar.
6) Then push the torsion bar from inside the car, out to the sills cover. This for about 2 cm. Yes, you should have enough space and no, it's not easy but with the penetrating oil it should go

Then you don't have to work against the torsion bar to lower the arms.
Use a long rod and it should go

If you still have problem to remove the passanger side half shaft ( the long one) then you can try to remove the rear middle engine support and dissassemble the half shaft over there
sakarlsson

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 04:35:24 pm »

Hi Hans and Spyros!

Thanks for the excellent info, I will dig into it.

-- Anders
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: