| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: New Owner  (Read 14810 times)
mhopley

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 12:40:01 pm »

That looks like a fairly generic ball joint.  If you know the size of the ball and the thread, you can try somewhere like Car Builder Solutions.  The brake servo and headlamps have separate vacuum circuits, or a least my 1.6 does, 2.2s may be different.  I t sounds as though you have more than one leak because the reservoir should allow you to raise and lower the lamps two or three times after the engine is stopped.  They need to be fixed otherwise the running of the engine will be affected.

Thanks Pete,
The thread is M8 and the ball 13mm. I found some here
http://www.springfix.co.uk/products/link-ball-and-socket-joints.htm
but  with delivery & minimum order charges it became a bit expensive, hopefully I have found some on ebay that might to the job.
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 01:26:43 pm »

These are probably the same size as those on the headlamp pods and gearchange linkage.  If they are then I would consider keeping a a few in stock.
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 02:34:43 pm »

The headlamps did work when I collected it Saturday, but only when the engine was running (leak on brake servo).---

Congratsulations on your new "toy".  Cheesy

I had the same problem om my car when I first got it. I ended up replacing most of the vacuum hoses in the engine compartment. The vacuum reservoir is located on the right side of the engine bay. Check the hose attached to it and all the connecting hoses, from the reservoir to the carburator. You are likely to find more than one with splits.

Check lights on both sides if you are ordering new clips. Since it IS made of plastic, you may be able to clean it for any oil or grease and glue it back together with 2-component epoxy. I have had good success with a product they call "Liquid steel". It is light grey when mixed and very strong.

Matranaut par excellence Cool
KiJa

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 10:09:06 pm »

I have had the same problem with the vacuum device that suddenly hung, I made made a new bracket that works. But it seems like vacuum device does not work more before when I læftede lamps by hand, there was resistance and a hissing sound, there is no more, is there anyone who has experience with this vacuum unit, can you do something  yourselve or is it an exchange?

Is there a way to easily check the entire vacuum system for leaks?

The black plastic box Michaeltalbot writes about, it is the vacuum gizmo to up / down to see image?

Kim
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 10:41:56 pm »

I have had the same problem with the vacuum device that suddenly hung, I made made a new bracket that works. But it seems like vacuum device does not work more before when I læftede lamps by hand, there was resistance and a hissing sound, there is no more, is there anyone who has experience with this vacuum unit, can you do something  yourselve or is it an exchange?

Is there a way to easily check the entire vacuum system for leaks?

The black plastic box Michaeltalbot writes about, it is the vacuum gizmo to up / down to see image?

Kim

The "gizmo" in the picture is the valve that switches the vacuum from one side to the other of the membrane in the vacuum motor. The vacuum motor can only be accessed from below, unless you remove the battery and take the fiberglass shield out of the front. (But don't do that for this problem)

With the engine running, you should not be able to lift the lights by hand. If you can, there is a serious vacuum leak or a busted membrane.

You can do a number of tests by removint the valve. In the two hoses that go down, the one towards the front suck the lights down and the other lifts them. Place a small hose into the tubes and suck with your mouth. Block the tube with your tongue and wait some time. If there is still vacuum, the membrane should be OK. If no vacuum, it could be the membrane, but also the hose. The vacuum actually runs in plastic tubes connected at the ends with the pieces of rubber hose you see on the valve and they often split at the ends. With the valve off you can suck on the single pipe and by pushing the plunger in, check that it is working and not leaking. Put a finger alternatingly on the two pipes to verify that there are no leaks. (If one of the two tubes drop under the fiberglass shield you can reach them from the fender well.)

If all that is OK you need to check in the engine bay. The odd shaped plastic bottle in the right side corner behind the engine, is the vacuum reservoir. On mine the rubber tube on top had a 1" split. The rubber dries out due to the heat in the compartment and you would do yourself a service by replacing all those vacuum tubes. If you have vacuum leaks, the engine will most likely not run at its best.

So, welcome to the joy and challenges of the old, but seriously-fun-to-drive Murena. Grin Grin

Matranaut par excellence Cool
KiJa

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 11:31:39 pm »

Thanks Jon

So I know what the weekend will go with ..... blowing and suction Grin Grin Grin
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: