| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Remaking old Murena wheels  (Read 10140 times)
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« on: May 27, 2010, 10:44:57 am »

Out of curiosity I started looking into ways to replace the original alloy wheels with a larger diameter, while still maintaining the original look.

In the process I have found that DeLorean owners are in the same boat as we Murena owners. Good performance tires are no longer readily available in the 14" sizes. What they have done is starting a project to make their wheels in 16", while maintaining the original look. check it out:

http://www.deloreancarprojects.com/Custom%20Wheels/wheelsmainflash.html

I especially like the effect it has on the passenger  Grin

But seriously, I would like to know if there is a general interest amongst you Murena fans to pursue a similar project ??

Too bad the DeLorean wheels do not fit the Murena. They would look nice too.

Matranaut par excellence Cool
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 11:00:35 am »

Out of curiosity I started looking into ways to replace the original alloy wheels with a larger diameter, while still maintaining the original look.

In the process I have found that DeLorean owners are in the same boat as we Murena owners. Good performance tires are no longer readily available in the 14" sizes. What they have done is starting a project to make their wheels in 16", while maintaining the original look. check it out:

http://www.deloreancarprojects.com/Custom%20Wheels/wheelsmainflash.html

I especially like the effect it has on the passenger  Grin

But seriously, I would like to know if there is a general interest amongst you Murena fans to pursue a similar project ??

I would be interested Jon, because we can then also get the wheel offset correct.  The problem you will have will be lots of people wanting lots of different sizes!

Myself I would want 15 inch x 6.5 inch at the front and 16 inch wheels x 6.5 inch wide with the correct 29mm offset, as I would like to use 225/50 VR 16 at the rear keeping everything otherwise standard and a chance that it will fit in the front if you have a puncture!

Roy

Murena IRL

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 11:04:41 am »

Hi Jon,

I would be interested also.
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 11:20:54 am »

I'm interested too. My choice is 7x16 ET25 front and 8x16 rear ET 15 with larger outer rims on rear than on front ones  Wink

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 12:12:08 pm »

Myself I would want 15 inch x 6.5 inch at the front and 16 inch wheels x 6.5 inch wide with the correct 29mm offset, as I would like to use 225/50 VR 16 at the rear keeping everything otherwise standard and a chance that it will fit in the front if you have a puncture!

Roy
I wonder if 15" performance tires are not also becoming hard to find. I was originally thinking of just going to 16" X 6.5 of the front and 16" X 7.5 on the rear.

The 225/50R16 size is 7% larger than the original 195/60R14, but since I think the Murena 2.2 is too low geared anyway, it will just help on the gas mileage. Cheesy

But is a 225/50 not too wide for a 6.5" rim? the 195/60 is just on the edge for the 6"?

On the front a 15" rim would go well with a 215/45R15, which is only 0.5% smaller than the original.

The next questions: How are the wheels made? by pressure casting and turned on a lathe, or how? What are the requirements for the alloy?

Everyone should realize that the first wheel will be EXPENSIVE due to the cost of making the form. For that reason it may be too costly to make more than one size, or two sizes at most.

I will check with local companies and try to figure out how to make a sample from which to make the form.

Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 07:34:45 pm »

I am interessted. Flexible on size.
How many do we have to be?

Hans
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 08:24:44 am »

Hans

I have found a company that makes small run custom casting in aluminium. I plan on going by in the next week or two and talk to them about the project.

I need to find out what they require in the way of form or prototype, or drawing. It may also be necessary to do some finishing work after casting, to remove seams and ensure ballance.

GP
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 08:28:35 am »

Hans

Me also.

GP
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 09:28:48 am »

If this project is going to take off I think that we need to contact the other Matra Clubs also. Further it might be a good idea to ask some of the spar part suppliers (Simon, Car Joy …) if they are interested in getting some rims.

Hans
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 11:13:39 am »

I vote for Roys size combination.

Alternatively (a cheaper option requiring only one new size and two rims per car): Keep the original 14 inch rims front and go up to 15 inch rear.

I find the 14 inch front rims go very well with 185/55R14 Yokohama S-drive tyres and would like to fit something like a 205/55R15 on the rear (pushing the tyre width ratio, I know)

/Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 12:14:52 pm »

I had a lot of trouble finding good performance tires for the 14" rims. During my search it became apparent that 15" also is becoming rare amongst performance tires.

It seems that the tire manufacturers are targeting the 16" to 18" market and some even up to 20".

I therefore think we should be careful not to place ourselves in the situation of having trouble finding tires again in a few years.

That is why my first thoughts have been 16" all the way around, but 17" on the rear could be ok too.

As far as the width go, I think 6.5" is the minimum for the front, but I would like to go 7.5 on the rear wheels. The 195/60R14 were always borderline too big for the original 6" wide rims.

Check this site out for wheel and rim sizes. Click on "dækberegner" and scroll down for method 2, where the rim width limits are shown.

http://old.eurowheels.dk/

You will se that the 225/55R16 that Roy mention are 10+% larger than originals. If using 225/45R16, then the minimum rim width becomes 7.5" and the tire is still 3+% larger.

10% would improve mileage and may be OK, but 3% seems more right for performance.

roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 07:11:08 pm »

I had a lot of trouble finding good performance tires for the 14" rims. During my search it became apparent that 15" also is becoming rare amongst performance tires.

It seems that the tire manufacturers are targeting the 16" to 18" market and some even up to 20".

I therefore think we should be careful not to place ourselves in the situation of having trouble finding tires again in a few years.

The problem is if you take that view the manufacturers will keep increasing the diameters, and we will never have a stable availability.

That is why my first thoughts have been 16" all the way around, but 17" on the rear could be ok too.

Well I'm sorry but I think 16" are too big for the front.  In fact I agree with Anders and would sooner keep my 14" at the front, rather than fit 16".  I also don't want to go above 16" at the rear.  So my cheap option would be to keep the original  14" front and have some 16" for the rears.

As far as the width go, I think 6.5" is the minimum for the front, but I would like to go 7.5 on the rear wheels. The 195/60R14 were always borderline too big for the original 6" wide rims.

The reason I don't want to go beyond 6.5" wide at the rear is that you don't have the room on the inside to the suspension.  To have 7.5" widths you would have to change the offset, and that can lead to bearing problems.  Changing bearings is something you don't want to have to do too often!

So if some of you wish to have 16" x 6.5" wide with the correct 29 mm offset for the front, I'll have two but for the rear and keep my 14" fronts!  (actually I'll have three as I would like a spare in case of damage)

As for tyre availability, sizes that are no longer easily available become available through vintage tyre supplies after a while, just like you can get correct Bagheera rear tyres (185HR x 13 XVS) now.

Regarding tyres, if 225 is too wide I'll fit 215, but I have seen 225 on a 6.5 rim and it was O.K.  It may not be the optimum, but there is a tolerance.  If you fit wheels and tyres too much bigger it won't look right IMO as this car was not designed for the new huge wheels with ultra-low profiles.  Others may disagree.  I'd sooner it looked right.

Roy
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 07:16:35 pm by roy4matra » Logged

lewisman

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 09:53:13 pm »

I could be interested but I suspect that they will be too expensive for me at the moment.

I agree with Roy that going above 15"at the front does not usually work well on a murena but perhaps the design of the wheel is the problem.  Most 17" wheels are to modern for the murena and therefore do not look right.

Anyone really good at Photoshop?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: