| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 2005 Espace 2.2dci mk IV Alternator help needed  (Read 12485 times)
stevem9

« on: June 08, 2010, 08:16:02 pm »

Can anyone help, I've gotten it off - finally - could not find anyone to give guidance so took power steering pump off bracket and removed idler pulley and side of engine fan mounting and got it out that way.  Is there any way of testing it to see if it's faulty?  Battery went flat and no voltage rise from alternator with engine running, but no warning indicators either.  Is there anything servicable in it?  It looks like a sealed unit so far as the electrics go but replacement alternator is about £350 (it's the water cooled 150A one) so if there are any ways to fix it I'd like to try.  Local alternator repair place won't touch it, say renault are a nightmare.  Also please is there anything I need to be careful of when refitting?  Is there any other alternator that will fit?  Why does it need such a high power?
Thanks
Steve
renaultbiler

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 09:22:16 am »

I think there have been some problems with these so its not unlightly its broken. Only way to test is to bench test it at a repair company offering repair of alternators.
Renault alternators are no worse than other alternators, its Valeo or Bosch like many other cars cars.... its the workshops attitude to Renault!!!

1980 Alpine A-310 w/GTA 2.5 V6 Turbo
2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
Service Online: www.servicehefte.net/servdata/?cid=qqkX
stevem9

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 04:53:55 pm »

Thanks.  Renault seem to be holding tight to their alternators in the UK, I've spoken to several repairers who all say they cannot fix only offer a replacement and not even on an exchange basis.  I've now found a friend of a friend who has gotten me a new one from Renault themselves for £300 including VAT which is far cheaper than anyone else could do.  Is there anything to watch for when refitting it?
Thanks, Steve
renaultbiler

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 05:53:14 pm »

dunno about refitting on these, probably straight forward

1980 Alpine A-310 w/GTA 2.5 V6 Turbo
2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
Service Online: www.servicehefte.net/servdata/?cid=qqkX
colin4255

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 09:41:34 pm »

Only thing I'd say, is make sure you put a new alternator drive belt on when you re-build it. Though I have never had to change an alternator on one of these, everyone ALWAYS recommends fitting a new belt if ever you take one off.
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 12:40:07 am »

... Also please is there anything I need to be careful of when refitting?

Yes, if my memory serves me correctly, there are special procedures otherwise it won't work or work properly.  I'll have to check the Renault manuals to refresh my memory though...  Just checked and there is a special document on replacing alternators - if you email me directly (not in this forum) I can email you a copy.  My memory also says you have to connect the Clip afterwards to instruct the computer of the type and size alternator fitted.

Is there any other alternator that will fit?

Not to my knowledge.

Why does it need such a high power?

Because in order to heat the interior of the Renault built Espace IV, quickly, they have fitted some electric heaters and when they are all on, they can consume 1 kilowatt of power!  It's like a home electric bar fire, with four bars and it will switch in between one and four bars depending on other information.  This is all controlled by the internal computer and this is why there is a set procedure when replacing it.  It is also why the alternator is water cooled - we actually had one producing 172 amps when we were doing the training some years ago, and they need the water cooling with this much  power - air cooling is not enough.

The other thing is to make sure you have no air locks in the cooling system when you refill it.

Roy
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 01:06:34 am by roy4matra » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: