| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: My vacation to denmark in the murena. (lights up or down??)  (Read 4990 times)
Laurens

« on: August 02, 2010, 08:55:09 pm »

Tomorrow i am going to make a 728 km trip with my murena/girlfriend/bagage to otterup on a 10 day camping vacation.

Now i have read that the light must be on in denemark..... This will mean lights up/ gone earodynamics all the time.

What do the murena drivers in denemark do? Do you drive with your lights up all the time? or are you ignoring the rules.

I think it is bullsh*t to have my light on all the time, because my car is very very yellow (cant miss it):

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 10:21:46 pm »

Tomorrow i am going to make a 728 km trip with my murena/girlfriend/bagage to otterup on a 10 day camping vacation.

Now i have read that the light must be on in denemark..... This will mean lights up/ gone earodynamics all the time.

What do the murena drivers in denemark do? Do you drive with your lights up all the time? or are you ignoring the rules.

I think it is bullsh*t to have my light on all the time, because my car is very very yellow (cant miss it):

I hope you will have a great vcation in Denmark, even though you will have to drive with the lights on.

Unfortunately the law says that you must have daytime driving lights on. You are only required to have lights on the front, no tail lights.

What we, or at least many of us do in Denmark, is to install a set of aftermarket LED driving lights above the parking lights, or in my case over the spot lights. The law also says that this extra set of lights cannot be on at the same time as the frog eyes. We also install a relay to turn these lights on when you turn on the ignition, and turn them off if you turn on hte frog eyes.

So what can you do... Do as I did until I got all this installed (because I also hated having to drive with my "eyes" open). Replace the 5W parking light bulb with a BA15S socketed LED bulb (21W replacement) It gives enough light to serve the purpose and you can use that while in Denmark. Nobody (police) complained to me about mine, but strictly speaking they are not according to law.

There are several makers of this type of LED bulb. I used one from www.matronics.dk, but there are many others. Just make sure the length of the bulb is not more than appx. 45mm tip to tip, or it won't fit behind the lens. Since it does not get very warm, it can fit up close to the plastic lens.

PS. Good looking car you have. Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 08:21:53 am by Jon Weywadt » Logged

Matranaut par excellence Cool
matramurena

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 11:25:36 pm »

Hi Laurens,

Seems to me that you can just have your normal small light on. The change that you will be pulled over by the police are very slimm. The change that they give you a ticket as a foreigner with (some) lights on is almost nil. I would take the change.

What I've done myself is connect the wires behind the fog-light switch so that they work always when the switch is on. Then you can drive with the headlamps down but the fog-lights on. I doubt if the Danish police has a problem with that.

1983 Matra Murena V6 (AR engine)
2003 Matra Avantime 2.0T Expression
2003 Matra Avantime V6 Privilege
brinkie

Previous owner of a Murena

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 01:46:05 pm »

What I've done myself is connect the wires behind the fog-light switch so that they work always when the switch is on. Then you can drive with the headlamps down but the fog-lights on. I doubt if the Danish police has a problem with that.
Make sure the auxiliary lamps are beaming downwards, otherwise the spots will blind everyone driving towards you! They are no fog lamps with a wide pattern ("breedstralers"), they are driving lights with a spot pattern ("verstralers"). My car is set up like you described, with the spots beaming to the road a couple of meters in front of me. They are on whenever I press the switch for the auxiliary lamps and the standing lights ("stadslicht") are on. Works also nice if the pop-up lights fail! Wink I got only pulled over once because I still had them on with the pop-up lamps on. I got away with it, stating that it was a old car, I do not have a warning light for the front lamps (I do, but I wouldn't make them smarter than they were) and that they were not fog lights, but daylight driver lights. Obviously, the police officer had never seen a Murena before...

/Robert

Previous owner of a Matra Murena 2.2 (1981)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: