| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Watch out for that blower switch, it could fry your car.  (Read 90780 times)
richard

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 04:59:31 pm »

How did you manage to get the old blower of his axle ? was it mounted the same way as mine on the picture ?
It looks like my new motor has an axle thats a bit thinner than the original, it also has a flat side so i might not have to grind, question is, will the old blower fit on the new motor.......
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 10:55:15 pm »

How did you manage to get the old blower of his axle ? was it mounted the same way as mine on the picture ?
It looks like my new motor has an axle thats a bit thinner than the original, it also has a flat side so i might not have to grind, question is, will the old blower fit on the new motor.......
The wheel on my new blower was pressed and glued on. I had to drill out the plastic around the shaft and break it free. A fair amount of rust on the tip of the shaft would also have prevented it from coming off.

From the picture of the shaft, your wheel looks like it is held on with a nut?

The original blower has a shaft with a 8mm diameter. You cannot put its blower wheel onto a shaft of smaller diameter than that. Except, of course, if you can find, or make, an adapter tube to make up the difference. That would be a challenge due to the flat part of the shaft, which an adapter tube also must have.

Matranaut par excellence Cool
richard

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 11:01:55 pm »

yes, my new blower has a nut, i think i can find a way to make the axle a bit thicker by sliding an metal tube over it.

How is the old blower mounted ? how did you remove it. It looked like it's also glued on or pressed on the axle. I am afraid i would break it if i put pressure in it by removing.
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 01:03:09 pm »

yes, my new blower has a nut, i think i can find a way to make the axle a bit thicker by sliding an metal tube over it.

How is the old blower mounted ? how did you remove it. It looked like it's also glued on or pressed on the axle. I am afraid i would break it if i put pressure in it by removing.
To remove the old blower wheel I held it between my legs and used a punch to beat out the shaft. You have to hit it firmly, depending on how rusty the shaft could be. But it is the only way I could find. You cannot pry it off in any way that I could think of, without risking breaking the old plastic.

A year ago I repaired the motor, but it did not last. there is a picture in that post showing how I removed the wheel:

http://www.matrasport.dk/forum/index.php/topic,1720.0.html
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 01:05:46 pm by Jon Weywadt » Logged

richard

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 10:12:58 pm »

okay, that was quit easy to do. Now mounting the old blower wheel on the new motor.
When everything is in place i post some photo's

thanks
richard

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2010, 10:15:03 pm »

The new blower is in place, and that's a big difference. The model i used was sold like a '95, i don't know if that is right, because this one has a nut and a axle with one flat site on it. The axle is a bit thinner than the original one. I crimped a hose around it. Placed some washers under  and on top of the blower wheel (do not have picture's of everything  Angry )
I think the wheel will stay in place. My new blower fitted in the original spot without grinding on the fenders.

Richard

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 08:14:08 am »

This one has a better fit then the one that Jon used.
Little extra work needed.
Looks good Richard.

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 12:52:18 pm »

The new blower is in place, and that's a big difference. The model i used was sold like a '95, i don't know if that is right, because this one has a nut and a axle with one flat site on it. The axle is a bit thinner than the original one. I crimped a hose around it. Placed some washers under  and on top of the blower wheel (do not have picture's of everything  Angry )
I think the wheel will stay in place. My new blower fitted in the original spot without grinding on the fenders.

Richard

Hi Richard.

It looks good. I am curious, because it looks like the motor is entirely outside the blower housing. Is the motor shorter than the original, or how did you get it to fit?

Also, the idea with the hose around the shaft is interesting, but is the wheel properly centered? no vibrations?

richard

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2010, 10:37:14 am »

the motor is outside the housing, the blower wheel is inside. Think it's the same as your modification as far as i can figure it out on the pictures.

(I am sorry that i do not have more detailed pictures of all situations, was to busy with the blower and did forget the photo shoot  Angry )

The tube around the axle was just a idea to fill the little gap. Future wil tell if this is stable enough to keep the blower wheel centered. Right now it's centered. The blower wheel has underneath and on top a washer and the nut presses them together. I think it has a good chance to stay in place.
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 06:42:37 pm »

Still have the original fan in the car, but it is end of life.
I feel it is dieing.
Some years ago a fellow member from the club put in a Golf 1 ventilator.
It seems a easy fix.
It will fit with very small adjustments and a simple job
Finding a Golf1 ventilator is another problem.
This is the 5th I found and the first one in good shape.
It runs like hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y3fyJPglcQ

Current use at max 12 Amp
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 06:44:52 pm by Oetker » Logged

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
richard

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2011, 07:30:16 pm »

i ordered this one, just to check some time how it works, quality seems fine to me. Do not know how good it works its still in the box
klumzer

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2011, 09:05:49 pm »

I read this topic today afternoon and wanted to ask if anyone has information about new alternative of blower installation. It is much easier and cheaper to find a Golf fan than a Toyota or Nissan part.

Oetker please keep us informed with some photos. Thanks in advance.
uberprutser

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2011, 09:59:24 pm »

@Klumzer; You might want to check out the pictures on the Dutch forum.

http://oscar.messageboard.nl/7101/viewtopic.php?t=1512&start=0
klumzer

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2011, 09:13:30 pm »

Thanks. Unfortunately I can not read dutch, but google translate solved the problem, more or less. Smiley
First I was pondering on what Hyundai Excel is. It is known as Hyundai Pony and Accent (depending on the year) in my country.
I think it is the easiest installation so far.
But the car is not so common...
klumzer

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2012, 10:26:12 pm »

I finished the work on my blower. Thanks for the tips in this topic  they were very useful.

After some research I found that the blower of Suzuki Swift (up to 2003) is very similar. As it is very common car in Hungary I bought a motor with the external resistors whiches are installed in the airflow in the Suzuki.

Now both are installed to the Murena's blower housing. I had to fix the original rotor to the shaft of the new motor and cut holes for air intake as others did.
After small modifications I could use the original wiring. As it uses external resistors there is no need of any contol module. It works perfectly, but the real test will come next summer... Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: