| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: central locking/alrm system  (Read 12479 times)
ross

« on: July 31, 2006, 09:47:05 pm »

I recently purchased a 2.2dt Grande espace, year of manufacture 2000.
When I bought it the remote central locking did not work, but the seller said all I needed was new batteries for the key.
New batteries did not cure the problem so I took the car to a Renault dealer to have the keys recoded.
The Renault dealer said that his computer would not "speak" to the computer in my car, so they wanted to renew the computer and the dashboard, at a cost of £1000.
Every thing on the car seems to function OK except for the remote central and the alarm.
The central locking works if I press the manual button inside the car.
Does anyone have any suggestions or know of an independant garage that can cure the fault for less than £1000.

2005 Grande Espace 2.2DCi
1994 2.1Td Espace
2005 Kangoo 1.2
1977 Renault 16TL
1974 Renault 16TX
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 10:50:58 pm »

This really confirms that the mechanics know nothing about fixing the electronics - I'll quote this forum's administrator on another matter: "All they do is replace components - they don't fix anything."

I suggest first you try another dealer. There are many versions of the software for those diagnosis computers from Renault.

He is right though that the central locking is managed by the computer in the fuse box, and theoretically it is possible that it has failed somehow. On the other hand, this computer is responsible for many things in the car, e.g. it controls *all* instrumentation, and it does not sound like you have other problems?

The central locking buttons in the roof for example, are not connected directly to the central locking motors, but to the computer, which then controls the motors. Are they working?

I'm sorry to sound a big rough, but I tend to find some mechanics very unhelpful when there are electrical problems with a car.

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
ross

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 08:44:58 pm »

Anders,

Many thanks for your response to my problem.

The central locking works fine when I push the manual button.

The only other sign that there is anything wrong is when I turn the ignition on the heater light comes on, then it is replaced by an air bag symbol and then by the word "service", which after a few seconds goes out and the time/temperature appears.
According to the handbook there should be an "OK", but this doesn't happen.
As I said before all the other dashboard functions work fine, it is just the remote central locking and the alarm.
Regards
Ross

1994 2.1Td Espace
2005 Kangoo 1.2
1977 Renault 16TL
1974 Renault 16TX
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 10:07:47 pm »

The only other sign that there is anything wrong is when I turn the ignition on the heater light comes on, then it is replaced by an air bag symbol and then by the word "service", which after a few seconds goes out and the time/temperature appears.

Yes, there should be an OK when you turn on ignition. The fact that it reports error on both heat and airbag does indicate that there's a problem with the computer.

You should probably try to exercise the connectors.
If you open up the fuse box, the black sandwich box in the middle contains the computer. Lift it up carefully to expose the connectors on the back. Remove and re-insert each of the connectors one by one. If there is any sign of corrosion on the connectors, try to clean it off with a sharp knife.

Next step before replacing the computer would be to check all connections to the computer.

Perhaps also to remove the PCB from the sandwich box to check for signs of something burnt.

Good luck!

- Anders

Used to own:
ross

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 10:45:23 pm »

Hi Anders,
Many thanks for your suggestions as to the source of the problem with my remote central locking.
If I do as you suggest do I need to disconnect the battery first?

Can you answer another question for me?

The radio is under the drivers seat, what if anything should I find under the passenger seat?
There is a wiring loom with a large connector there but no piece of equipment.
Regards
Ross

1994 2.1Td Espace
2005 Kangoo 1.2
1977 Renault 16TL
1974 Renault 16TX
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 12:03:55 am »

Many thanks for your suggestions as to the source of the problem with my remote central locking.
If I do as you suggest do I need to disconnect the battery first?

That is always a good idea, but I don't think you will damage anything if you don't.

The radio is under the drivers seat, what if anything should I find under the passenger seat?
There is a wiring loom with a large connector there but no piece of equipment.

For those of us with left-hand drive vehicles the passanger seat is the drivers seat!
Anyway, I think they installed the control box for the cruise control there and perhaps that for the adjustable rear suspension.
That could explain the connector.

- Anders

Used to own:
ross

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 07:28:34 pm »

Hi Anders,

Yes it gets a bit confusing when there are different driving positions.

I think to make it easier for everyone car manufacturers should only make right hand drive vehicles, well left hand drive is in the minority.

Many thanks once again for your advice, and I will let you know how I get on at the weekend.

Regards

Ross

1994 2.1Td Espace
2005 Kangoo 1.2
1977 Renault 16TL
1974 Renault 16TX
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 07:57:32 pm »

I think to make it easier for everyone car manufacturers should only make right hand drive vehicles, well left hand drive is in the minority.

I have heard that before....

(source: http://www.brianlucas.ca/roadside/)

... and since the most important markets for automobile development are generally considered to be the US and Europe, I think you will have a hard time convincing anyone to this.

PLUS - I have a much better idea: We should all convert to centre drive - aka McLaren F1. This would also get mother-in-law out of the way!

Many thanks once again for your advice, and I will let you know how I get on at the weekend.

Good luck!

- Anders

Used to own:
ross

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 10:59:30 pm »

Anders,

I have tried to inspect the wiring and computer in the fuse box, but I cannot gain access to the computer.

There is a metal plate obstructing the cover over the computer, it has a chart on it showing the fuse board layout, and it seems to be located by 2 pins, which I have been unable to pull out.

Any idea how this plate is removed ?

Regards

Ross

1994 2.1Td Espace
2005 Kangoo 1.2
1977 Renault 16TL
1974 Renault 16TX
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: