| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Espace mk2 1996 engine jumping on acceleration  (Read 10155 times)
jamietee

« on: August 21, 2010, 11:00:26 pm »

hi all, have just bought a mk2 1996 espace ive had nothing but problems, firstly the idle speed was fluctuating from 800 to 1000 rpm, sorted that by taking off the idle valve and cleaning it with carb cleaning spray. my problem now is on acceleration it jumps until you get upto about 2000 rpm then its fine after that, i have read about this and everything now is pointing to the inlet manifold gasket, i may be wrong but has anyone else got any ideas? thanks in advance jamie
jamietee

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 11:02:34 pm »

forgot to say my temp sensor is faulty, when i switch ignition on first thing in the morning its on half without the caer even being started
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 06:39:05 am »

Hi and welcome to the forum! Congrats on the car, I'm sure you'll get it to run well.

I think you have a faulty temperature sensor or broken wire to the computer. It sounds like it's over/under fuelling. It could be an inlet manifold leak, but that should be easy to check.

You say your temp sensor is faulty - this is a seperate sensor in the thermostat housing. There are two: One has a bosch connector (that's the one for the engine management computer), the other has a tab connector. Try cleaning the connection first, but if that doesn't work, replace the sensor.

As for the temperatuer sensors for the computer, there is the one I just mentioned in the thermostat housing. I think that's probably the one that's faulty, but there's another one for measuring inlet air temperature. It's fitted in the inlet hose, after the air filter, before the throttle body.

To check the sensors, disconnect them and measure the resistance with an Ohm-meter: At 20 deg C, the air temp sensor should be between 283 and 297 Ohm. The water temp sensor should be between 283 and 297 Ohm at 20 deg C, and 383 and 397 at 80 deg C.

Good luck!
Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
jamietee

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 11:30:24 pm »

Thanks Anders i will test out my sensors, will update you on how things are going, looks like you know your espaces inside out, much appreciated , regards Jamie
jamietee

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 02:13:25 pm »

hi  Anders just a quick question about the measurements for the sensors, at 20 deg C is that when the car is not running with just the ignition switched on Huh and is 80 deg C is that when it has been running for a while Huh i know how to use a test meter but thats about it lol  regards Jamie
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 04:03:13 pm »

The temperatures are for the medium (water/air) which the temperature is measuring. 20 deg C is for a cold car these days. You must take the measurements by removing the connector on the sensor and measuring across the tabs.

Hope this helps!

/Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
jamietee

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 06:16:26 pm »

Hi Anders, the both sensors are coming up as faulty so i will replace them, phoned my local parts store they wanted £11.99 for one and £13.99 for the other both made by intermotor, did a search on net and found a place where i can get brand new intermotor ones for £2 each plus £4 postage, an excellent site. might also replace the air sensor for that price too just to be sure lol thanks for your help Anders much appreciated.
Elmo the Espace

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 09:34:41 pm »

Hi
Did you have the acceleration fault before you cleaned the idle control valve as you can put it back upside down.
If you had a air leak the revs would sit around 1.500 to 2.200 and wont idle down to 950.
Also there is a 3rd coolent sensor between number 4 spark plug and the cam belt cover make sure that the lead is conected as it is possible to damage it when refitting the idle control valve.
Check your air temp sender on the inlet rubber pipe is sitting the right way around there should be a flat part of the white plastic.
I would also check your dizzy cap rotor and leads as i have had a misfire on low rev acceleration which went when the engine was warm which was a corroded ht lead on the dzzy cap.
Lamda sensor can also give the same problem check the connection.
Usualy if the Coolent sensor Bosch black plug fails you will not be able to start the engine as it weakens the mixture to much when cold then over richens when hot.
Dont order a black sensor as it is for the mk1 phase 2 order a white sensor if you think it is faulty.
Hope this helps

1965 Land rover 2a SWB
1966 Land Rover 2a SWB
2 x 1994 2.0i Espace's
Transit 140 bhp limited SWB 2009
jamietee

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 12:12:52 pm »

Hi Elmo yes did have the acceleration fault before i cleaned he valve, i think i put it back correctly with the arrow facing down (away from the air box) havent checked my dizzy cap my leads look like original ones lol but this happens when engine is warm but a lot less, Ive noticed aswell that sometimes the engine revs when i stop at a junction are at 2000 rpm to bring it down to 1000 rpm i rev the engine and it drops back down to 1000 rpm i dont know if this has anything to do with it, just cant wait for the engine to be "normal" so i can enjoy driving it lol
jamietee

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 01:04:58 pm »

forgot to say think its pinking a bit too
Elmo the Espace

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 03:37:45 pm »

Hi Jamie,
Sound like you have a very lean mixture,
If you have a AVO multimeter check your Lambda sensor.
With the plug connected engine fully warm and running blip the throttle twice check B and C pins you should have 0,1-1v Fluctuating.
with the plug disconected engine off but with ignition on on the car side A to earth battery voltage
With the engine and ignition off on the sensor side of the plug between A and B 6 ohmes.

Check to make sure your knock sensor is connected it sits bellow cylinders 2 and 3 on the engine block under inlet manifold if you can reach it with out breaking the top of the sensor try a run with it disconected.

Run the engine and spray the inlet manifold where it bolts to the head with soapy water rev the engine to see if it improves.
Undo the 3 torque screws on the top of the throttle body and make sure the spindle closes ok and the plate is not lose at the same time check your closed throttle position switch closes.
Also check your spark plugs and re gap.

1965 Land rover 2a SWB
1966 Land Rover 2a SWB
2 x 1994 2.0i Espace's
Transit 140 bhp limited SWB 2009
jamietee

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 10:38:23 pm »

Thanks for the Reply Elmo will do this tomorrow and tell you how things went all the information you and Anders have given me is very useful much appreciated indeed, a big thanks to you both  Grin Grin Grin Grin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: