| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: exhaust/downpipe problems. the fun has started already!!!  (Read 7689 times)
yellowt5r

« on: October 06, 2010, 02:58:58 pm »

has anyone got a diagram i can look at as my exhaust or downpipe is blowing now. i can see it but need to make sure what part i need.

is the 2 cats on these? if so it just after the first cat at the flange. its been bodged by somone already and has now given up.

also any ideas on price?

thanks
jack daniels

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 08:43:42 pm »

what model do you have? JEOK ?

http://www.catalogue.bosal.com/pages/exh_system_list.php?query_nr=2&make=RENAULT&model=Espace+III

http://www.catalogue.bosal.com/pages/exh_select_order_list.php?query_nr=20&sysnr=06696025

Espace, Grand (magnifique, formidable, grandiose, considérable, noble, ample) III  
2002   JE02   F4R  DP0   2.0L 16v auto
yellowt5r

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 03:24:08 pm »

hi

yes its a je0k05
yellowt5r

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 03:26:19 pm »

thank you for the links just what i was looking for.
Martin Tyas

Espace, because it's worth it!

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 12:26:12 pm »

What happened to my downpipe was that it fatigue cracked at the joint with the rear section. The rest of the pipe was fine even after 8 years of motoring. Original equipment has a Cat mounted to the turbo and a secondary Cat as part of the downpipe. The downpipe is joined to the rear section and the OEM rear exhaust is complete with both the mid and rear silencer boxes and no joints in between. After-market exhausts are in two sections to avoid having to jack the car up whilst on the ramps to get the exhaust over the rear axle beam.
I found that both the jointing flange of the rear section and also of the downpipe had both cracked either side of the joint. Renault wanted GBP 800.86 plus VAT for the downpipe and over £420 for the complete rear section.
Because the exhaust had been on the car from new I decided to have the rear section replaced anyway so what I did was have a new exhaust made to measure from stainless steel and get them to cut off the offending cracked flange of the downpipe and make the new pipe longer and sleeved it over the top of the existing downpipe. I had the whole thing made and fitted for little more than Renault wanted for the rear section in mild steel.
I will try to get some pictures later ~ the wife is out in the Esapce at the moment
Martin
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 12:39:12 pm by Martin Tyas » Logged

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2002 Grand Espace 2.2dCi "The Race"
2003 Astra 1.8i Cabriolet "Edition 100"
2011 Insignia SRi VX-Line Red
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
Martin Tyas

Espace, because it's worth it!

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 12:49:44 pm »

Here is what I had done with mine to save having to buy a new downpipe and Cat when only the section of pipe just in front of the joint had fatigue cracked.
I had the new rear section made of stainless steel and the front end of it made to sleeve over the existing downpipe with the cracked section cut off.
As with commercially available after-market exhausts they also put an additional joint in the rear section to avoid having the problem of getting the full length pipe over the rear axle beam.
Externally the only difference is that I now have a small tailpipe visible rather than the twin smaller diameter tailpipes from the OEM rear box that are hidden under the bumper.

Martin

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2002 Grand Espace 2.2dCi "The Race"
2003 Astra 1.8i Cabriolet "Edition 100"
2011 Insignia SRi VX-Line Red
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
yellowt5r

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 04:01:08 pm »

had to bite the bullet and fork out £220 for the downpipe/precat. its a rip off considering the size and value of the cat. £25 for scrap value. my volvo one was worth £70 and its cheaper to buy brand new then the one i just bought and its 3 times the size!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: