| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Driveshaft  (Read 9933 times)
matramurena

« on: August 24, 2010, 09:31:00 am »

I have installed a Alfa Romeo V6 in my Murena and now have to connect this engine to the wheels. I know it has been done before, but what driveshafts are used? I thought I heard that on one side they used the 2.2 shaft, only made shorter and on the other side the shaft from a 1.6?

Any thoughts about this issue are welcome.

1983 Matra Murena V6 (AR engine)
2003 Matra Avantime 2.0T Expression
2003 Matra Avantime V6 Privilege
Oskar

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 02:01:19 pm »

are you using alfa gearbox?
ive seen that many weld the outer murena shafts together with inner from alfa or peugeot

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
matramurena

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 05:56:04 pm »

Yes I'm using the Alfa gearbox. Guess I have to find a set of Alfa driveshafts then...

1983 Matra Murena V6 (AR engine)
2003 Matra Avantime 2.0T Expression
2003 Matra Avantime V6 Privilege
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 09:34:52 pm »

Yes I'm using the Alfa gearbox. Guess I have to find a set of Alfa driveshafts then...

You should contact member, "njesper", who also has the Alpha V6 and can tell you that the driveshafts may have to be lengthened to stay in place. He had a bit of trouble at first, but he can tell yo more.

Matranaut par excellence Cool
Bart_Maztra

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 08:48:20 pm »

The easiest way is to weld them together by a welder who knows what he is doing.

These were my mageot and peutra driveshafts.

The long one is half matra and half peugeot. Welded together in the middle.
The short one, the whole shaft is peugeot, with one end made thiner on a laithe. The matra 'tripod' is welded on that thin end.

Oskar

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 01:48:20 pm »

was that for a xu9jaz engine and be3/5 gearbox?

how did you messure that up?  the car on ground or lifted`?   im facing that problem in a few weeks  Roll Eyes

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
Bart_Maztra

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 11:40:41 am »

A driveshaft must be able to slide in/out when the wheel is moving up/down. The matra cv joint at the wheelside is able to slide in/out. There is a spring in that joint, and a fixed boss in the other joint (dif side) The spring is to make sure the shaft stays in the same position in the dif side  joint, while the wheel side joint is moving in/out.  (That's why the wheel side joint is longer than the dif side joint.) 

Peugeot and my toyota drive shafts are the other way around.  They have the fixed side at the wheel, and the moving side at the dif.
When making a new drive shaft by fusing a matra outer joint to a peugeot inner joint will give a problem. You will end up with springs in both ends.
The problem is that the shaft's position can be all over the place.

The way to solve this is to make a fixed boss in one of the joints.
I did it by making a piece of nylon in the peugeot joint. (thanks Lennartfor the advice)

And the same thing in the toyota joint, but this time i used the matra boss.

The way i set the lenght of the peutra shafts:
When the wheel is at the same level as the dif, (drive shaft horizontal) The spring loaded joint was sitting in the middle of the slots.

A better method is to look at an original matra and see/measure the position of the joint.

But make sure the driveshafts are in line! Don't do it as i did. I end op with the peugeot engine in the wrong postition, and the drive shafts were not in line. Making knacking noises when i go around the bend.

When i did the mazyota conversion i played safe. I position the engine in such way that the dif was in exactly the same place as were the original dif was. That way i also could copy the lenght of the original drive shafts.

Have a look here:
http://www.maztra.nl/C1900_inb_1.html
http://www.maztra.nl/inbouw_Eng_2.html

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: