| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Where can I get main bearings?  (Read 21885 times)
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 04:10:27 pm »

Well,,, I have seen two shells mentioned as a "set"......  and considering that Simon charges 261 Euros for a "set" of ten shells...

Shocked OMG! Not possible...

Milan Dobes speaks English very well, so You can simply contact him on the email: pradomodel@volny.cz  Wink

krede
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 04:37:48 pm »

Great! thanks a lot Michal... Smiley
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 07:14:23 pm »

You're welcome, but it belongs to Mr.Dobes, because he isn't thinking only about making money (as others do), but to help us Wink

LarsB

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 08:38:05 pm »

wow, thanks for all the great information Smiley  So helpful to have a forum with so many knowledgeable people.

Now, Il have to confess that my original post was entierly wrong and it is the conrod bearings I need. As you have pointed out Simon and several others have the main bearings in 0.10 (thanks for reminding me of the cost  Undecided)

I dont think I will balance the crankshaft, its overly expensive to do here in norway, and Il have to ship it to one of the larger cities.

michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 08:09:53 am »

LarsB: how much does it cost in Norway? I've paid 80,-Eur.

krede
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 08:11:52 am »

I paid some 200  just to have mine cut to 0.2 undersize!!
LarsB

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 08:44:05 am »

I paid 400 to have the cylinders bored 

Balancing of cranckshaft, flywheel and clutch  is 300

Grinding and polishing of cranckshaft is about 500 Roll Eyes

These prices are from Cylmo.no  and motorverksted.no

If I where to do do more machining that Alfa V6 is starting to look like the cheap way out  Grin

krede
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 08:47:26 am »

We should throw all of our stuff in the back of a lorry, and head down to visit Michal for a weekend... then we could "sample " the excellent beer they have ,while our engines got fixed cheaply !!! Cheesy
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 05:45:36 pm »

Yes it seems that you have to make a trip to CZ Wink because renovation of my engine won't be more than 1000,-Eur complete...

LarsB

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2010, 09:23:09 pm »

I have been trying to order bearings from carjoy, but After the order confirmation I hear nothing from them. I have tried mailing them but get no reply. 

Do any of you know if something happend to the business?

-Lars-

roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2010, 04:26:04 pm »

In the middle of my rebuild I discover that my crankshaft have been ground -0.10mm. I Need new bearings, but Simon doesnt have them  Sad

Lars

I know most of you on this forum are used to measurements in metric, but we have to be very careful in quoting engine undersizes, since although this engine family (1639/1812/1984/2215cc) was made in Europe and generally metric measurements, it was designed in England to originally imperial measurements.  Why do you think the cylinder head block face to cover face is exactly 6 inches with a tolerance of 4 thou?  Why does it have many non ISOmetric 7 mm studs and bolts - they were originally 1/4 inch (which is larger than 6 mm).  Why is this important?  Because in the U.K. our undersizes were generally 10, 20, 30 and 40 thou. (thousandths of an inch)  So the first undersize of 10 thou is equivalent to 0.25 mm  whereas when you talk of 10 under meaning -0.10 mm that is only 4 thou.  It is unusual to regrind a crank journal or big-end pin to 4 thou undersize.  Most engines needing regrinding will have already gone past the 4 thou undersize.  So that size was really only for either badly machined original sizes or when cleaning up an otherwise good crank to put in new shells.

These days it is possible that certain bearing shells or crankshaft thrust washers meant for another engine may fit, but if they are made for an English engine the undersizes will be imperial not metric.  This is why there are 0.20 mm and 0.25 mm undersizes.  The latter are really 10 thou undersize.

So when you specify an undersize you need to make sure you specify whether you are talking about mains (10 half shells) or big-ends (8 half shells) and imperial or metric.  Finally you should NEVER have a crank reground without first having the bearing shells and providing the machine shop with them.  Why?  Because if they have the shells that will be used they will (or should if they are good) make sure the crank is ground to a good fit for the new shells.  If they only have the crank and grind it to a specified size, then find the shells are not quite right, they have to do the job over and may even have to take more off to go to the next size.  e.g suppose you had it ground to 0.25 mm (10 thou) under and then found the only shells available were -0.20 mm or -0.50 mm  You would then have to go to the -0.50 mm size as you were already past the -0.20 mm dimension.

I have and can get undersize shells and thrust washers for these engines now but one set of undersize shells I have for the big-ends is '10 under' - that is 10 thou under, therefore -0.25 mm.  And some of the packets for these parts are marked with other manufacturers names - like Vauxhall and Rover.

Hope this helps clarify things a little.

Roy
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 04:33:56 pm by roy4matra » Logged

LarsB

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2010, 05:45:09 pm »

Good thing you got your eyes open.  I rechecked the measurement and it is 51.76mm wich is 0.20 undersize Wink

The crankshaft have been ground previously and does not need regrinding now

I also wish to thank you for the information regarding the common misstakes.

btw, you do not know of any oil-sump for sale? mine have had a conrod go thru it (probably the couse of the previous regrind)

regards
Lars

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2010, 08:10:02 pm »

Quote Lars B
-----------------
I have been trying to order bearings from carjoy, but After the order confirmation I hear nothing from them. I have tried mailing them but get no reply. 
Do any of you know if something happend to the business?
======================================================================================================

Today I was at Carjoy.
Busy times over there.
Nothing wrong with the firm.
He told me he has little time to work on the administration.
If no reply, then mail again, or better grab the phone.

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: