| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Espace mk2 1996 banging coming from underneath when driving  (Read 7679 times)
jamietee

« on: September 02, 2010, 09:36:31 pm »

hi all got another problem with my espace i was driving this afternoon and all of a sudden i started hearing a thudding sound coming from the left hand side of the car i know its nothing to do with the engine as it only happens when im driving and not at a standstill and gets faster the faster i go sounds like the wheel have checked the wheel is not hanging off and its not, think it may be the cv joint or driveshaft on left hand side, how do i check these? and are these easy to change? regards jamie
jack daniels

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 05:31:25 am »

Im not too familier with the mk 2 espace however if you go to a quiet parking lot , open the front windows, put the steering on full lock and accelerate you should be able to provoke any noise from the outer cv joint. thuding sounds like the spare tyre or the exhaust, has come loose. maybe some plastic covers under the car or wheel arches.

Espace, Grand (magnifique, formidable, grandiose, considérable, noble, ample) III  
2002   JE02   F4R  DP0   2.0L 16v auto
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 10:13:44 am »

hi all got another problem with my espace i was driving this afternoon and all of a sudden i started hearing a thudding sound coming from the left hand side of the car i know its nothing to do with the engine as it only happens when im driving and not at a standstill and gets faster the faster i go sounds like the wheel have checked the wheel is not hanging off and its not, think it may be the cv joint or driveshaft on left hand side, how do i check these? and are these easy to change? regards jamie

A "thudding" sound could come from a screw, or something stuck in a tire. So inspect them first.

Matranaut par excellence Cool
jamietee

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 12:13:15 pm »

thanks for your replies but now you can all laugh at me i am a stupid man !!!!!!! i changed the wheel yesterday and i forgot to tighten up the bolts  Cry regards jamie (ex diy mechanic)  Shocked
Elmo the Espace

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 12:35:05 am »

hi Jamie
Glad you sorted it,
How did you get on with the other problem with your espace.

1965 Land rover 2a SWB
1966 Land Rover 2a SWB
2 x 1994 2.0i Espace's
Transit 140 bhp limited SWB 2009
jamietee

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 10:13:19 pm »

hi elmo it was the Lambda sensor like you said but i think 25% of the problem is what anders said the temp sensors, when i changed them did run a lot smoother but wasnt 100% as soon as the Lambda sensor was changed it is running like a new engine, thanks for your help its much appreciated!
Elmo the Espace

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 10:02:23 pm »

Hi Jamie,
You are more than welcome,
My espace had a bit of a wobble at the weekend when you pulled away in 1st it was jerky so i checked all the sensors then thought oily clutch.
But did a voltage and Amp check on the alternator due to a bad conection on the 2 wired plug the alternator was only just putting out 12.2 volts at 1dle.
all sorted and pulls well blame the heavy ran and big puddles.

1965 Land rover 2a SWB
1966 Land Rover 2a SWB
2 x 1994 2.0i Espace's
Transit 140 bhp limited SWB 2009
fragmaster

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 05:49:06 pm »

hi there you may find this noise is not actually coming from below, i have had same problem and my fix was to change the the strutt bearing . it comes in a set for both sides at a price of @£60 the noise travels down the strutt giving the symptoms you say  probably hear it when you first acelorate and at gear change if your quick on the clutch. i have changed these and it is quite dificult to reseat the spring in the bearing cup when changing,
 regards frag.........
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: