| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Bagheera exhaust improvements  (Read 45375 times)
Spyros

I'm a real donkey!

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 09:09:16 pm »

No idea of the sound, at least without the multiple extra rust holes.
When I opened this one, I couldn't believe it  Roll Eyes

I also have a drawing of another exhaust built by a former Bagheera owner.
It was quite interesting because the exhaust could be disconnected easely from the 4 into 1 manifold to allow works. Also the part holding the silencer (actually the standard plate) was located mid way of the silencer.
I'll try to find this back
andyowl

New exhaust "straight through" - good sound!

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 03:49:17 pm »

Lewisman has sold me the "Custom Made Straight-Through Silencer" he refered to in his post of  5th September.

Thank you very much, and thanks also to Royal Mail Parcel Force for delivering it quickly from the Island of Lewis (Outer Hebrides to Surrey in less than 48 hours!) The Postman asked if I had bought a Llama!

Photos below. There are two places on the top surface where it has been opened and then re-welded and another on the bottom where there is an aluminium closure plate.

Lewisman - could you tell us what you know about its history? Everyone will be interested I am sure.

I plan to make our VAX vacuum cleaner able to act like a compressor and blow air though the pipes. I will measure the "back-pressure" and compare it with the standard stainless steel silencer (what is "standard" these days?)

R&D time I think!

My next event, other than the AutoSolo tomorrow where they do not check the noise levels, is a "National B Sprint" on October 3rd at Debden. I will try the "S-T" silencer on the road and take the old one with me to Debden just in case they complain about the sound volume.

Andy

Back in business for fun!
lewisman

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2010, 04:32:43 pm »

The exhaust came fitted to my first Bagheera - an 'official' right hand drive 1978 S purchased in 1986.  It was bought from a chap called Roger Davies who ran Club Matra. 

I hit a sheep with the Bagheera in '87 and when the panels were removed I discovered a considerable amount of rust.  This was a car that was less than 9 years old!

Due to the delay in getting parts from France, I managed to settle with the insurance company for cash and used this to buy a high mileage '79 X "for spares" form Gordon Russel.  I ran this for about 18 months and rebuilt the S back to a decent standard, complete with re-trimmed interior, 1.6 Solara engine and a full respray.  I added the X wheels but kept the stainless exhaust as I had intended to fully restore the X and was considering a Lancia twin cam that was in my shed!

Unfortunately the re-build project clashed with moving house (and starting to build a new house) and it ended up scrapped.

The welding on the exhaust was to repair a loose baffle tube.  As always happens, the hole was cut in the wrong end first time round.  The aluminium plate was to seal a hole cut used to pack the exhaust with wadding.  It was my intention to replace it with a proper stainless plate at a later date.
andyowl

New exhaust "straight through" - good sound!

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2010, 05:47:42 pm »

Lewisman wrote:- The aluminium plate was to seal a hole cut used to pack the exhaust with wadding.

So if it was thought to be too loud I could take off your aluminium plate and put in some more wadding? Like a volume control?

Neat!

Thanks

Andy

Back in business for fun!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: