| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Espace III, front wheel bearing  (Read 4370 times)
jack daniels

« on: October 22, 2010, 09:42:01 am »

Hi folks,

Is it normal practice to apply loctite selbloc to the outside of the front  bearing assembly before pressing it into place?
Do I need to apply loctite selbloc to the driveshaft splines when I refit it back into the hub?

According to the workshop manual all Espace JE driveshaft splines were "glued" with loctite selbloc at the factory.

I assume that the application of loctite is to preserve the surfaces and keep them from seizing together allowing easier disassembly. Normal grease on the outside of the bearing will probably just dry up and disappear after reassembly.

what is the normal practice?
Or has anyone found it difficult to push the driveshaft out of the hub, and press the bearing out because it was not preserved with Loctite?

Espace, Grand (magnifique, formidable, grandiose, considérable, noble, ample) III  
2002   JE02   F4R  DP0   2.0L 16v auto
colin4255

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 12:59:32 am »

I asked my garage about this. When they replace bearings they just push them in. As it takes about 7 tonnes pressure to push one out or in, they say its irrelevant whether or not they rust up to some limited degree. They are by the way, Renault Dealers. I have replaced one and they did another, not had an issue removing, and I didn't grease or lock the bearing in, just used a press to push it into the hub.
jack daniels

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 05:29:51 pm »

The new QH bearing came with only 1 retaining ring and the wrong size nut.
I used loctite on the outside of the bearing and the driveshaft splines.
1 of the old retaining rings was re-used so now it has 2, the same as it was from the factory

The old bearing felt OK actually so I hope I've replaced the correct side. Tomorrows test drive will reveal all.

Espace, Grand (magnifique, formidable, grandiose, considérable, noble, ample) III  
2002   JE02   F4R  DP0   2.0L 16v auto
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: