| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: speedometer on zero and flashing andd no fuel level indication (Solved)  (Read 15340 times)
Sommerby

Spaceship Pilot

« on: May 13, 2010, 05:59:48 pm »

Hi there

Grand Espace 2.2 DCI Year 2000
Yesterday my speedometer went on zero and began flashing and I lost the fuel level indication.  After a brief disconnetion of the battery, everything was OK again, but those kind of incidents bring up fear for expensive electrical breakdown.
Do anybody have any kind of experience of the above mentioned?

Best Regards
Bo
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 05:36:31 pm by Sommerby » Logged

Best Regards
Bo
marko ucha

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 06:16:59 pm »

Grin .... it's not breakdown! You can turn off fuel gage or temperature gage by combining trip comp button and ignition! You probably press that button a couple times during engine start and there is no more fuel gage  Cool 

Rebault Grand Espace 2.0 16v automatic
renaultbiler

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 10:30:21 pm »

This sounds like the "classic" instrument panel failure, if so you will experience it again especially when the car/instrument panel is cold. When hot (sun, heated car etc) it works okay, does the PLIP still work ? With instrument panel breakdown the PLIP often stops to work aswell.

It could also be a connection issue on the CAN-bus line or even a BII failure since both fuel and speed data is connected to the BII and transfered to instrument by CAN-bus data line.

But - as with many things this sums out to only guessing Undecided

1980 Alpine A-310 w/GTA 2.5 V6 Turbo
2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
Service Online: www.servicehefte.net/servdata/?cid=qqkX
Sommerby

Spaceship Pilot

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 10:51:45 pm »

It happend again today  Sad
But I have a correction.  I can see how fast i'm driving, but the km/H is flashing, but the KM counter is not working and the cooling water temp is not to see. At start, the oil level is showing up OK, but after that there is no indication. None of the fuel estimates are working the trip counter is not working.

What a pity,  such a good car with such a bad electrical system Sad

Best Regards
Bo

Best Regards
Bo
Sommerby

Spaceship Pilot

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 01:58:49 am »

Hi Renaultbiler. The PLIP stopped working for a few years ago. It works one out of 20 attempts, When closing the drivers window, only the "all way up" function is working (on both the soft pressure and the hard pressure on the switch) and if you dont open the window a couple of millimeters, after closing the window, the window motor just keep powering on/off until the it has drained the battery completly.  We have learned to live with those issues, but when we add the latest with the flashing speedindication, missing coolant temperature indication, and a non functioning "fuel estimate computer", then I guess that we may have to try to sort it out  Sad
There are no one who has attempted to repair those kind of errors? Are there anybody who has the drawnings/documentation needed for an electronic engineer to troubleshoot on the electronics?

Best Regards
Bo

Best Regards
Bo
renaultbiler

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 09:33:07 am »

bba-reman.co.uk claims to repair BII and instrument panel, and i know they have done it for one in Norway that had serious BII issues. That particular car lost/altered the BII config setup when cold, i re-configured it with CLIP and the car was okay until next time it was left cold (parameters such as engine type etc was screwed up). Then it re-appeared. Syptoms was loss of coolant info, error on outside temperature and some engine managment warning on startup ( i cant remember exactly ). It became okay after bba fixed it (needed new config with CLIP but then it stayed ok).
They need instrument cluster + BII unit by post. £100-200 cost if i remember.
Its worth a try!

I think you have BII problems on this one. A new one is expencive, second hand one wont start the car due to immobiliser code handled and stored in BII.

2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
Sommerby

Spaceship Pilot

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 02:51:25 pm »

Many thanks, Renaultbiler. I will contact the BBA regarding a repair. Sounds like a bargin compared to other options.

If I could get the schematics on the BII module and the instrument panel, I know a person who may be able to repair it, so if any of you guys out there do have the schematics, I'm very interested in a copy :-)

Best Regards
Bo

Best Regards
Bo
renaultbiler

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 05:53:38 pm »

If I could get the schematics on the BII module and the instrument panel, I know a person who may be able to repair it, so if any of you guys out there do have the schematics, I'm very interested in a copy :-)

Yeah, the chematics and software would be very nifty, anyone have any contacts at Valeo or Matra ?? Shocked Shocked

1982 R20TX 2.2
BrianM

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 09:02:50 pm »

For your information, you can buy a dash used for around £35 but make sure it comes with the fob from the same car. You will need to swap the immo chip from your orignal fob into the new one, this is not a wired chip, be careful to prise it out with an jewelers screwdriver. If the dash has recorded more miles than your car then it needs to be reset before install or your milage will increse to that of the dash.
If you are lucky this fixes both your fob & dsh problem.
Or for around £130 you get the dash, bsi & engine ecu. All from the same car of course.
I just did this on my dci as the engine ecu was up the swanny.
Sommerby

Spaceship Pilot

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 07:06:42 pm »

My instrument problems are getting worse and I'm now getting the BSI unit and the instrument cluster checked and repaired by www.tachopix.de    (Digital tuning service)

They give 2 years garantee of the repair and the price is 577 euro for the repair of the 2 units including shipping. 

As far as I can understand, the problem is the motorola microcontrollers which are controlling the  signals between the units. The year 2000 production has used microcontrollers with a very poor temperature range and they are now failing en mas

At the moment there are no indications at all on my instrument board, but when the cabin is heated up, I sometimes get flashing indication of speed and all kind of strange flashing signals at the instrument board. Sometimes the speedomenter shows doubble speed so yesterday I was driving 320 km/h at the highway :-)

I'm looking forward to get it sorted out . Also the remote controlled central locking system will be working again. This has not been working for several years.
Also a very long lasting problem with the closing of the drivers window, I hope will be sorted out. When closing the window the electrical motor is not stop running, draining the battery over night. Only solution so far has been to open the window a few millimeters. open the window a bit seems to break the circuit. I can hear a micro relay clicking in the bsi unit when operation the window, so it may be a faulty relay switch in the bsi unit?

I will get the units repaired first in december and will get back with the result.

Best Regards
Bo
e.space.3

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 12:30:05 am »

Hello

Read here a DIY about how to make microcontroller work, if isn't fried for good  Grin

1999 JE0N F4R A 700 RXE
Sommerby

Spaceship Pilot

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 12:57:21 pm »

I have just recieved the BSI unit and the Imstrument unit from Digital Tuning Service.
The units are working perfect after the repair was done in one day so including shipping the whole operation took less than 4 days.

I still have trouble with the remote central locking system and the drivers window issue is also outstanding but I think that those errors may be out of scope for the 2 unit repairs.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 04:20:10 pm by Sommerby » Logged

Best Regards
Bo
renaultbiler

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 06:04:57 pm »

Have you trid to resync the RF keys after repair ?

1982 R20TX 2.2
Sommerby

Spaceship Pilot

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 09:45:35 pm »

Have you trid to resync the RF keys after repair ?

Yes, I have tried, but without any luck.  I have done following:
Key in, ignition on but no start, Key out and press on the lock/unlock button untill the central locking systems double click. Now I have a steady red light  at the instrument panel, but  when I press twice on key one and twice on key two, nothing happens. After some time the strady red light stops and the keys are not working.

Do I do something wrong? Or must I accept to continiue living without the remote central locking system?   

Best Regards
Bo
renaultbiler

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 06:24:48 pm »

You are suppose to press one time only on each key, car will confirm each key with the central locking system altering - but sounds like something is still at fault, hard to say but i would suspect a problem still exists in the instrument cluster -if the keys are actually transmitting a signal.

Someone with CLIP would however be able to see if unit is recieving any signal at all, alternatively run a new config (confirm settings) on the instrument panel and BII to see if it wakes up anything.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 06:28:02 pm by renaultbiler » Logged

1982 R20TX 2.2
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: