| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Headlight bulbs / yellow light  (Read 7104 times)
madeinfrance

« on: November 29, 2010, 12:50:45 pm »

What kind of bulbes is in the Murena headlights? (H3, H4?) Mine are working perfectly but I am keen to replace the bulbs with yellow ones to give the car the right "french" look.

Murena 2.2 1983' Stolen
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 04:18:25 pm »

What kind of bulbes is in the Murena headlights? (H3, H4?) Mine are working perfectly but I am keen to replace the bulbs with yellow ones to give the car the right "french" look.

The head lamp bulb should be a standard Quartz-Halogen H4.  You can get a yellow version of this, but all it is, is a yellow envelope around the standard quartz one... and they are more expensive.

A yellow paint was used on the Tungsten-Glass bulbs in the past, in France particularly, to reduce glare from lamps that were not so well defined as today and therefore the beams could dazzle sometimes.  Simply by dimming the light output (the effect of the yellow covering of the glass) they reduced the possibility of that glare BUT it also meant you had worse vision in the dark!

We now have accurately defined beam patterns, so provided the lamps are properly aimed, you get better vision in the dark and no dazzle.  There is no need for this yellow covering.  This is why the French cars no longer have it.  After all the manufacturers have spent lots of time improving the light output to allow you to see better, you want to artificially reduce it again!

As for originality, many French Murena did NOT have yellow lamps fitted from new, just like other modern cars.  I think they only had them on the very early batch.  I know certainly many 82 and 83 cars, such as yours, that I saw new had normal white lamps.

So if you want to spend more just for appearance, consider you are paying more to see less.  I hope you don't drive much on unlit country roads at night. :-)

Roy
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 04:21:30 pm by roy4matra » Logged

madeinfrance

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 09:47:06 pm »

thanks Roy! 

I am ordering some of these: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.47947 They are quite cheap and dealextreme ships for free worldwide. (a couple of weeks delivery time though)

Murena 2.2 1983' Stolen
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 12:43:34 pm »

-- 
There is no need for this yellow covering.  
--

Roy

I always heard that the yellow color had a better penetrating ability in fog, thus giving you better visibility and vision on a foggy road.
Anyone know if there is any scientific basis for that?

Matranaut par excellence Cool
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 06:03:59 pm »

Not scientific, but in the stone age I drove 2 new Simca 1100  Fourgenette about 300.000 miles with this yellow lights, and the lights sucked in all circumstances.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 06:15:48 pm by Oetker » Logged

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
madeinfrance

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 08:54:53 pm »

I always heard that the yellow color had a better penetrating ability in fog, thus giving you better visibility and vision on a foggy road.

They should also improve visibility on the snow covered roads here in cold dark Norway. But I admit it. I am only doing it for the appearance.  Grin

Murena 2.2 1983' Stolen
matramurena

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 10:51:49 pm »

I love the look of the yellow lights and am planning on placing them in the car once I will be able to drive it again.

They probably give less sight though. I used to be sceptic about xenon as well, untill my new car got delivered with xenon lights.... It's a hell of a difference and for a daily-driver I would never want anything else again! For the Murena though I just love the yellow lights.

1983 Matra Murena V6 (AR engine)
2003 Matra Avantime 2.0T Expression
2003 Matra Avantime V6 Privilege
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 11:38:02 am »

There is no need for this yellow covering.

Roy

No.  The reason is this - poor control of light in those days meant some scatter.  This bounced back from moisture (fog) and made it difficult to see.  Yellow covering reduced light output and made the bounce back a little less and appeared to improve things.  Another proof that the yellow simply reduced the light output!

Today light control is so much better with flat topped beams that you don't get the bounce back and it is easier to see forwards, and the white is better at picking out things especially white lining.  If you have proper fog lamps which are mounted lower and you use these instead of head lights, it is better but head lights are pretty good now anyway.

Roy

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: