| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tow Bar Electrics  (Read 10354 times)
jag

« on: August 22, 2006, 02:06:12 pm »

Anders, I would like to thank you for your scanned wiring fotos, but  i am still struggling to access the wiring loom for the rear lights. There isn't much slack on the cable to tap into when I remove the rear light cluster. It's very tight and like you said very thin.  Do you know of any other location where I can access the wiring loom to allow some slack in order to tap into the loom for the tow bar electrics.
A colleague of mine said that the rear tailgate is where the tow bar people access the cabling, but i personally think he is talking rubbish. Please help !

1999  Grand Espace 2.2 dTi RTX
2003  Peugeot 206 1.4 Hdi LX
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 10:09:23 pm »

You can find the wiring in the fuse box in the engine compartment. The original tow bar wiring for JE's has a long cable that is fitted under the vehicle and connected in a connector in the fuse box. This is connector R276.

I realise that this connector is not shown in the drawing of the placement of fuses so I have done another scan of the manual (sorry Renault!):

Hope this helps.

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
jag

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 12:42:57 pm »

Many Thanks for that Anders

I will have a look at it over the weekend. I think i am going to start addressing you as the Chief Doctor of Espaces. You certainly know your espace's inside out and upside down.  Once again, a thousand thanks for your kind help

Jag

jag

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 01:28:06 pm »

Anders,
The scanned drawing showing the long wiring loom, is this loom under the vehicle externally or internally. The reason I ask is that i can't see it anywhere under the vehicle, so I am assuming i will have to have to get the carpet up at the rear of the vehicle.
Many Thanks Jag

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 10:58:20 pm »

The long wiring loom is installed with the tow bar and goes under the vehicle. It is part of the official tow bar wiring for the car.

Used to own:
jag

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 01:26:58 pm »

Terribly Sorry for this misunderstanding Anders.
Thank you, but  i think  i will just take the signals from the rear lamps in stead of installing this wiring all the way back to the front. I am only intending to occasionally tow a small trailer to the rubbish tip a couple of times a year.
But  iwonder if you can help me by telling me that on which side does the complete loom for the rear lights is installed, is it on the left or right or are there 2 separate looms running along either side of the vehicle body. Thats if the looms rum along the side of the body or through the floor. I just want to tap into the complete loom to take the signals for both side indicatiors , etc. Rather than run a cable to each rear light and then back to the tow bar, which seems rather messy.
Many Thanks  Jag Grin

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 02:17:02 pm »

Terribly Sorry for this misunderstanding Anders.
Thank you, but  i think  i will just take the signals from the rear lamps in stead of installing this wiring all the way back to the front. I am only intending to occasionally tow a small trailer to the rubbish tip a couple of times a year.
But  iwonder if you can help me by telling me that on which side does the complete loom for the rear lights is installed, is it on the left or right or are there 2 separate looms running along either side of the vehicle body. Thats if the looms rum along the side of the body or through the floor. I just want to tap into the complete loom to take the signals for both side indicatiors , etc. Rather than run a cable to each rear light and then back to the tow bar, which seems rather messy.
Many Thanks  Jag Grin

Hmm good question... I'm not sure. I think you need to take the blinkers from either side. It's not that bad as you can feed the wires down from the bottom of the rear light either side. The brake/driving lights should only be taken from one side though. There may be a problem with your rear fog lights - I think there is a rule that they should go off when a trailer is fitted (as they will shine back on you if you are towing a tall trailer), and then turn on on the trailer. But if you will only run small trailers I't only a theoretical problem of course (or legal, but that's up to you!)

- Anders

Used to own:
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: