| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: UK Cobra Alarm  (Read 11604 times)
colin4255

« on: January 28, 2011, 01:08:56 am »

Hi guys, thought you may be interested in this.  Like many UK sold Espaces, mine has a Thatcham CAT1 alarm made by Cobra fitted.  I read with interest on another renault forum, that you could extend the range at which the key fob would arm and disarm the alarm by adjusting screws in two parts of the Cobra alarm.  One is underneath the rear hatch in the roof and the small unit has a screw in the centre.  Likewise under the top section of the dash where the  ain Cobra unit is fitted, it too, has a screw in the centre of the unit.

The poster on the renault forum suggested you could extend the range at which the key fob would work by turing these screws to the right. IN FACT the only thing this does is to increase the sensitivity of the alarms units, AND if you turn them far enough, you can set off the alrm just by standing within a foot of any door!

Moral of this story is don't believe all you read. The units were installed pre-delivery in the UK by Cobra and ARE properly set up already!!
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 05:02:28 pm »

Hi guys, thought you may be interested in this.  Like many UK sold Espaces, mine has a Thatcham CAT1 alarm made by Cobra fitted.  I read with interest on another renault forum, that you could extend the range at which the key fob would arm and disarm the alarm by adjusting screws in two parts of the Cobra alarm.  One is underneath the rear hatch in the roof and the small unit has a screw in the centre.  Likewise under the top section of the dash where the  ain Cobra unit is fitted, it too, has a screw in the centre of the unit.

The poster on the renault forum suggested you could extend the range at which the key fob would work by turing these screws to the right. IN FACT the only thing this does is to increase the sensitivity of the alarms units, AND if you turn them far enough, you can set off the alrm just by standing within a foot of any door!

Moral of this story is don't believe all you read. The units were installed pre-delivery in the UK by Cobra and ARE properly set up already!!

Correct Colin,

These adjustments are only for adjusting the envelope of the ultrasonic sensitivity, and they should not be touched.  If you do you will only usually upset the system and get false triggering.  The one above the rear tailgate was often known to fail too, causing the system to trigger when anyone walked close to the car, and one quick way to stop it, was to disconnect that sensor.  You should also be aware you can turn these sensors off, so that you can lock the car but leave someone or something like a dog in the car, which will not trigger the alarm by movement, but opening the doors without turning the alarm off will still trigger the alarm.  This is also useful when the car is left on a ferry so it can be locked and alarm armed but not trigger owing to movement.

Roy

colin4255

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 12:25:24 am »

The rear sensor in mine is still intact.  So how do you turn the movement sensors off?  I recently left my baby grandaughter asleep in the car for two minutes while I went into a shop. I heard the alarm go off as she obviously woken up and started moving about! I am not sure who was more surprised, me or her!!  It would be nice to know how to just use the immobiliser, if I ever have to do that again.

Thanks

Colin
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 01:01:57 am »

The rear sensor in mine is still intact.  So how do you turn the movement sensors off?  I recently left my baby grandaughter asleep in the car for two minutes while I went into a shop. I heard the alarm go off as she obviously woken up and started moving about! I am not sure who was more surprised, me or her!!  It would be nice to know how to just use the immobiliser, if I ever have to do that again.

Thanks

Colin

It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, you turn the ignition on and off three times quickly and then shut the door and lock the vehicle.  Since this is a Cobra alarm fitted in the U.K. at the import centre before it went to the dealer for selling, you won't find the instructions in any Renault manual.  There should have been an alarm manual with the car when new, but if you don't have it, try what I've said and see if it works.  You could test it by leaving a window open, lock the car, wait thirty seconds to a minute for the system to activate, then stick your arm through the open window and move it around to trip the ultra-sonic movement sensor.  Then try it again after switching them off and see if it has worked.  I think it even made a bleep to denote the change but it might have been only when activated again or vice versa.  You use the same procedure to turn it back on again, if I've remembered correctly.

Roy

colin4255

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 03:26:49 pm »

Thanks. I'll give it a try
BrianM

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 05:12:28 pm »

Thanks. I'll give it a try

On english cars there's a small button in the drivers door jam/ vent to the door demist. Use this to turn off the interior sensor.
I have a pdf somewhere with the instructions, I had a look in 'the vault' but can't see it. I will look it out.
colin4255

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 11:08:41 am »

Thanks. I will take a look and see if I have a button like that

Thanks
Colin
colin4255

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 11:34:37 pm »

Hi Brian. Had a good look around and cannot find a button anywhere in the door jamb or door demister parts, either on driver or passenger side.  Curious now.....
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 03:31:06 pm »

Brian Mayor has kindly sent me Espace Cobra Alarm docs, I have put them in the Espace/JE vault:

http://www.matrasport.dk/Cars/Espace/vault/JE/

(I believe the Cobra Alarm is a JE feature ?)

The files are:

Cobra_REESP01GBB.pdf  
  Cobra_REESP01GBBT.pdf
  Cobra_REESP98GBBT.pdf
  Cobra_REESP98GBDT.pdf

/Lennart Sorth
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 10:09:30 pm by Lennart Sorth » Logged

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: