| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Another Bagheera for me (56k beware: photo heavy!)  (Read 38371 times)
Fred

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 05:41:30 pm »

Just a couple more interior shots and then we'll look under the front hatch!  Cheesy

Ripped trim:

Glove box, map reading light and a random Volvo wheel trim.  This Bagheera has a full set of four Volvo trims inside it.  Free to good home, collection only! Wink  There is also a set of Matra wheel trims inside the car.  Two Bagheeras now and still no alloys!

1978 Matra Simca Bagheera S  |  1979 Matra Simca Bagheera S  |  1994 Saab 9000 Aero
Fred

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 05:47:52 pm »

Inside the front compartment - chassis: previous welding, rust, dirt + cobwebs and some grass / weed growth! 

1978 Matra Simca Bagheera S  |  1979 Matra Simca Bagheera S  |  1994 Saab 9000 Aero
Fred

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 05:48:56 pm »

More:

Fred

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 05:49:34 pm »

Last few:

Fred

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 05:54:43 pm »

Those are all of the photos I've taken so far.   Any comments, suggestions, observations - good or bad - or previous knowledge of this car is more than welcome.   I hope this thread was of some interest or use to the good folks here at MatraSport. 

lewisman

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 09:49:42 pm »

Looks like you could do with the interior and the wheels from the Jubilee one that Andy was collecting bits from!

I have a pair of rear "vents" that you could have if you need them.
andyowl

New exhaust "straight through" - good sound!

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2010, 10:00:42 am »

It looks pretty good so far! Every one I have restored (four now) was much worse than that to start with. Even the spare wheel well is OK!

Are the rear wheels vertical with no hint of negative camber?

What about the metal at the base of the screen?

Jacking points?

Interior looks good, nice and clean (good as your jeans in fact!)

The boot floor is rusty/poor but at least it is there! Our original Bagheera failed its 10th year MoT because of bad corrosion there. Yours is 20 years older and is still there!

Back on the road in a jiffy! (subject to rear suspension mounts and windscreen base).

Congrats again!

Andy

PS I have a set of Bagheera alloys, unrestored, we could do a good deal on. I'd be glad of the space!

Back in business for fun!
Fred

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 02:01:48 am »

I realise this thread is missing something - I forgot to add the photos of the front of the car!

Colour-coded bumpers with bonus mildew:

Paint crack and "Bagheera S" logo sticker

Does anyone know the name of this colour?  I'm assuming that it is a Matra shade?  It's a metallic grey with perhaps a hint of brown.  I though it looks a little drab in photographs but quite like it when seen on the actual in the sunlight.  Of course the car could do with a repaint.

Fred

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 02:35:56 am »

It looks pretty good so far! Every one I have restored (four now) was much worse than that to start with. Even the spare wheel well is OK!
Sounds encouraging, Andy!

Are the rear wheels vertical with no hint of negative camber?
I think there is indeed a slight hint but not much.  Is this a sign of corrosion around the suspension mounts?

What about the metal at the base of the screen?

Jacking points?
I'll have to check these and report back later.

The boot floor is rusty/poor but at least it is there! Our original Bagheera failed its 10th year MoT because of bad corrosion there. Yours is 20 years older and is still there!
My other Bagheera has a boot floor which is in a very different state - clean and with good paint in the centre but rusted through at both sides.  

Back on the road in a jiffy! (subject to rear suspension mounts and windscreen base).
I must admit that I hadn't contemplated this being a car I may get to drive in the not too distant future but the prospect is appealing.    

Congrats again!

Andy

PS I have a set of Bagheera alloys, unrestored, we could do a good deal on. I'd be glad of the space!

Thanks.  I might be interested on a set of alloys but there seems to be two slightly different styles.  The ones I like best seem to be on S1 cars mostly but not exclusively.  The centres are not as smooth, they have an extra molding as far as I can see.    
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 04:55:56 pm by Fred » Logged

Fred

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 02:40:22 am »

These are the ones I prefer:

And these are the others, often but not always with black highlights:

« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 04:57:07 pm by Fred » Logged

andyowl

New exhaust "straight through" - good sound!

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 03:41:07 pm »

If the grey paint is original it is called "Gris Metallique" or something like it. We chose that colour on our original Bagheera and we resprayed it in 1992 in the same colour. Still looks great to us! Ours is next to the Safety Cage in the pic below.

I will check the spare set of wheels - I think they are S1 as you prefer. We are preparing to go on vacation so it may be a little while before I send the pics to you.

Negative camber on the rear is a sure sign of corrosion on the outer ends of the vacuum tube to which the outer ends of the trailing arms are supported. Repairable though! This tube is usually corroded to some extent.

What is the condition of the metal frame of the nose hatch? Tends to rust at the bottom too.

I think it looks great and very restorable.

Congrats again.

Andy

Back in business for fun!
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2010, 09:44:04 am »

Does anyone know the name of this colour?  I'm assuming that it is a Matra shade?  It's a metallic grey with perhaps a hint of brown.  I though it looks a little drab in photographs but quite like it when seen on the actual in the sunlight.  Of course the car could do with a repaint.

If you check my FAQ pages you will see the colours and paint codes of the '77 Bagheera.  This is Gris Electric.

A previous owner was in the MEC so the club 'knows' the car.

Roy

Nick Gillott

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2010, 04:05:15 pm »

Hi Fred,
Looks nice - can I ask how much it went for as I think mine is a bit better in most places and hopefully less mildew!

Nick
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2011, 02:27:02 pm »

29000 miles in 22 years!*  This Bagheera hasn't seen too much tarmac action in it's time.  Surely those round yellow stickers are below the legal requirements for a current UK mph conversion?  Shocked
* unless the odometer is broken.  Let's hope not!  

This tacho is in kms, the odometer will be so, think that it is more of a 129000 kms than 29000, but does it matter?  Wink

Lot of work, but nice projet, good luck!

Spyros

I'm a real donkey!

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2011, 10:43:57 am »

Does anyone know the name of this colour?  I'm assuming that it is a Matra shade?  It's a metallic grey with perhaps a hint of brown.  I though it looks a little drab in photographs but quite like it when seen on the actual in the sunlight.  Of course the car could do with a repaint.

If you check my FAQ pages you will see the colours and paint codes of the '77 Bagheera.  This is Gris Electric.

A previous owner was in the MEC so the club 'knows' the car.

Roy

Hi Roy,

I whish it would be that simple as I was believing for years.
Last year, with 3 other members of the Bagheera-café association (not the forum but the club behind), we got hold of the Matra production files from 1973 to 1979 (so excluding the last 1980 models)
This contains all the details of the Bagheera and Rancho produced during that period.
A very difficult and deep analysis allowed us to spot lots of deviations from the standard belief.
Gris electrique is different from Gris Metal and different from ... several other grey.

As an example, trying to analyse the production of the Serie 1 S alone (Model year 1976 - even if it ran from 75 to 76), I've found out not less than 18 colors.
Leaving appart the Courrèges for wich we even found 2 cars painted with a ... Champain color.  Huh

And this was only 4465 cars.

So, to me, the only way to get the true details of a car is to look into this and prey for no error.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: