| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Good news if you are looking to repair your side mirrors.  (Read 23645 times)
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« on: March 21, 2011, 01:48:41 pm »

I have just ordered a set of gears for my door mirrors from this guy on ebay. He had 2 sales listed and one listing still has 10 sets available here:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/KIT-DE-REPARATION-RETROVISEUR-NEUF-MATRA-MURENA-LANCIA-/250783125335?pt=JG_FR_Auto_Pi%C3%A8ces&hash=item3a63d6cf57

Matranaut par excellence Cool
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 09:52:53 pm »

That's the guy from the France forum that had them re-manufactured.
I heard the plastic is a bit different then the original and is a bit more fragile, but it is good they are available again.
I dumped my mirrors because everything in it was warned out and the glass was eroded.
Didn't want to spend any money on it.
The Uno mirrors do fine, but still thinking to mount something else.

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 10:22:13 am »

That's the guy from the France forum that had them re-manufactured.
I heard the plastic is a bit different then the original and is a bit more fragile, but it is good they are available again.
I dumped my mirrors because everything in it was warned out and the glass was eroded.
Didn't want to spend any money on it.
The Uno mirrors do fine, but still thinking to mount something else.

I still have not given up on the original mirrors. But I have 2 Lancia/FSO mirrors that I ordered as a replacement. They look nearly identical to the Murena mirrors. Inside they have a stick to adjust them, instead of the gears. The shape of the fitting to the door is the same as the Murena. the only problem is that the part that sticks through the door is offset rather than centered as on the Murena. I therefore will have to manufacture a new insert in the triangle where the mirror mounts.

check them out here: http://biltilbehoer.com/group.asp?group=347 It is items 43 and 44. They offer them at only 100 DKK. ~ €13

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 04:35:09 pm »

They look good and close to the original.
It will take some effort to fit it right but I am sure you find a solution.
Keep us posted on this.

JV

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 05:41:30 pm »

Indeed, they look good.

Jan Verdam
Matra Murena 2.2S bleue columbia
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 08:39:38 am »

The FSO mirror are not a easy find.

http://biltilbehoer.com/group.asp?group=347

I wanted to order there but don't understand the language and don't know if they deliver to other country's.

Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 12:58:42 pm »

I have just ordered a set. Not because I need them but this was a good offer, and nice to have some spare mirrors in stor.

@ Oetger: Shipping within the EU is 225 DKK and rest of the world 400 kr.
Navigating on the web-page: Google translate must be able to help.

Hans
brinkie

Previous owner of a Murena

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 03:16:11 pm »

The FSO mirror are not a easy find.

http://biltilbehoer.com/group.asp?group=347

I wanted to order there but don't understand the language and don't know if they deliver to other country's.
My wife speaks Danish so maybe we can help. But Google translate is your friend Smiley

Danish is actually pretty easy to understand for a Dutchman. In 1994 I was driving in Denmark in my first car, an Opel Kadett 1.2S from 1981, when just 30 km before my destination, the cable from the accelerator pedal to the carburettor broke. Managed to do an emergency fix (so I knew that trick years later when the cable in the Murena broke! Wink), I went to an Opel dealership. Search for the reception... Receptioner (receptie). Spare parts department... Reservedeler (reservedelen). Asked for the cable... tried to explain in English (gas cable)... ah, Speederkabel! Cheesy

Though I'm going to Denmark this summer (unfortunately not by Murena, it's too small for the four of us), they only "salg" (sell) through internet, so you have to ask how much the "Frakt" (vracht) is before you do "elektronisk betaling" (elektronische betaling). Fortunately, the prices on the website are including MOMS (BTW) which is 25% in Denmark! Shocked

/Robert

Previous owner of a Matra Murena 2.2 (1981)
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 09:24:11 am »

I did some research on the mirrors.
They are mounted on the Deawoo FSO Prima and some Polonez models from the 90s.

The angle looks good and with some fiddling it looks possible to mount them.
Beside the Danish website I could not find them so they can be considered as a rare find.
Good job Jon.
I ordered a set to and including postal for €56.- a bargain.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 09:27:00 am by Oetker » Logged

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 10:17:48 pm »

The mirrors looks different then the one in the pictures of the webshop.

Mirror size is OK.
Will see what to do with it to make it fit.

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 09:32:51 pm »

Bit sloppy just like the Murena mirrors  Grin

The outside has a good fit, but you need to cut away lots of plastic from the inside.

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 09:56:38 am »

Bit sloppy just like the Murena mirrors  Grin
--
The outside has a good fit, but you need to cut away lots of plastic from the inside.
Man, you are quick  Cheesy  I still have my mirrors in the box.  Tongue

I also found that the outside fit was very close to the original. The rubber bellows look a little different, but the shape of the mirror and the look from the front is very similar to the original mirrors IMO. Compare your photo from right front to the one from the webshop I attached here. I admit the "neck" up to the bellows look a little longer on the webshop photo.
The plastic triangle in the door has to be modified, or replaced. I personally lean towards removing it and making a new insert, custom fit to the new mirror. Can you show some photos of what you have done?

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 10:31:28 am »

Quote Jon.
---------------
Man, you are quick
================

No, in fact I am dead-slow, but the car is at hand at the moment and had some time to play around.
I was a bit rough and took a air-saw to cut some plastic out to make room for the nut.
Then I mounted the mirror to the outside-plate.

I made a temporary fix to see if angle from drivers place is OK, and it is perfect.(NB:right it is, but have to look if other side will be OK).
The Angle of the adjuster is wrong, so I bended it a bit.

Of course then you are looking at a hole from the inside, but here comes a part of the Uno mirror.
That fits perfectly.

One problem left to think of.
Because the mirror is only hanging on the 2 rivets of the windows surround a bit of extra constuction is needed.
Not sure what to do there, but I am thinking of rivetting 2 small iron hooks here so I can hook it and rivets on the original place.

Saterday i have some time to try it out.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 10:33:38 am by Oetker » Logged

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 12:09:38 pm »

Quote Jon.
Because the mirror is only hanging on the 2 rivets of the windows surround a bit of extra constuction is needed.
--

I am planning to bend a triangular piece of metal (stainless of course Grin) that will be riveted to the door frame like the original piece and flush behind the outside cover, so that it is this plate that carries the load and not the outer plastic.

Did I understand you correctly, that the outer plastic you show, is not the original Murena? (the hole would not fit)

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 12:19:04 pm »

The outer plastic is original Murena.
The hole to put the big bolt from the mirror is a bit to small.
I made it bigger so it fits in place.
The plastic of the hole has reinforcement at the place the nut comes, so it is strong enough to carry the load.
Behind the cover is the plastic tunnel that guided the original mirror.
I cutted this partly away to make place for the nut.
If you do that there is no direct way back to original.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: