| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: My Grand Espace written off in accident  (Read 4445 times)
colin4255

« on: April 19, 2011, 10:40:57 pm »

Oh dear, after four years of ownership and quite a lot of money spent making my Espace into a good one (last bill £300 recently for intercooler), last week a guy crashed into the back of it while I was stopped at a junction.  He only hit me doing about 20mph, yet the car has been scrapped by the insurance company as their is almost £5,000's worth of damage. Tailgate, rear bumper, lights, but mostly because the rear floor has folded up to absorb the impact and will cost £2,000 alone to repair.  Not economical it seems.

They have offered me £3,000 for my 2002 model with 130,000 miles on it, which while its not really enough to buy a good replacement, is not actually a bad offer for the car considering its age and miles.

I have been to several garages looking at possible replacements. All crap.  I had no idea how good my Espace actually was until I began searching for something to replace it!!

Lets hope I find one or we may be forced by buy another make. Insuers won't let me keep the hire car forever. Hire care is a 2010 2.0Dci Espace - only does about 29 mpg, has 4,000 miles on it and I felt right at home today when it beeped and came up on the dashboard, the message 'check injection system'  !!  Nice to know nothing has changed at Renault in 11 years eh.....
renaultbiler

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 11:31:29 am »

Not good news Cry

Are u thinking of buying another one like this ? If so, check if you can buy the wreck (?) from your insurance company for a decent amount since you obviously have many good parts on it. In Norway we can do this.

I had no idea how good my Espace actually was until I began searching for something to replace it!!

That is absolutely true!

1980 Alpine A-310 w/GTA 2.5 V6 Turbo
2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
Service Online: www.servicehefte.net/servdata/?cid=qqkX
colin4255

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 11:18:08 pm »

I checked with my insurers, floorpan is too badly damaged. I went to see the car - we would be talking about more money than they would pay me to actually repair it unfortunately. i got £3000 for it, and the repair bill would be nearer £5,500. Its just not economical.

After looking around for two weeks I bought a 2001 model year VW Sharan at a very good price from a dealer because one rear seat was damaged.

I will keep looking here and keep posting any info I have that may hekp people, but now I have unfortunately become a VW owner!!!  Will keep you posted....
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: