| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Renewing hand brake cables JE  (Read 6550 times)
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« on: June 02, 2011, 09:52:39 am »

They say you learn from your mistakes. If that's so, its a pity I probably won't need to renew the hand brake cables on my Espace again - the original ones lasted 10 years and I just fitted a replacement set of new cables.

But at least I can share my mistake here Smiley

The hand brake drives two cables - they are not the same! On an LHD Espace, the right one is a bit longer than the left one due to the hand brake lever being offset by a few cm from the centre of the car. I expect an RHD Espace will have them swapped?

Fitting isn't difficult - the most difficult part is feeding them through the right holes in the chassis and over the tank. I fed it through from behind - there was almost enough space to allow my hand and fingers to go all the way through, so it's not bad at all - and there's no need to lower the tank.

Below is a photo of the cables showing the difference Smiley

/Anders
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 09:54:50 am by Anders Dinsen » Logged

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 01:40:08 pm »

I changed the handbrake cables on our Espace as the MoT guy found out that the handbrake did not work on one wheel.
Getting the cable in was a hassle, and I ended up taking the tank down, on order to get the right cable in, but with the tank down the job was very easy.
However it turned out that the original cable was OK, however frozen.
Lesson learned: Get your MoT done during summer!
Hans
Sommerby

Spaceship Pilot

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 03:25:02 pm »

I have also been through this exercise for one year ago.  I neeeded to lubricate and exercise the rear breake actuator arms since they were not releasing the brakes properly.

By the way. I have a set of new hand brake cables for a Espace JE model without rear disc brakes which I will give for free to anyone who want's it?

Best Regards
Bo
jack daniels

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 11:03:46 pm »

10 years is a long time. Mine lasted 6 years before one caliper started to hang a bit.
There is a retaining clip above the fuel tank, it's just cliped on to the body and the cable is pressed into the clip. If the clip comes off the body then it can be difficult getting the clip back on with the tank in place depending on the size of ones arms, as I found out.

Espace, Grand (magnifique, formidable, grandiose, considérable, noble, ample) III  
2002   JE02   F4R  DP0   2.0L 16v auto
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: