| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: trailing arms  (Read 12020 times)
tog0035

« on: June 26, 2011, 11:20:12 pm »

What are the symptoms of worn trailing arms. Do they actually break ?. Is there any more progress on the alternative method of making them. regards  TOG
GP
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 05:25:58 pm »

Rust is the problem. Treating them on the inside if they are rust free with Waxoyl or similar product helps. If the outside is sound, shotblasting and powder coating or alternative protective coating as you prefer is required. One area of weakness is the inside shock absorber mounting bracket which fills with dirt and starts corrosion. This needs to be kept clear of debris.

See Pictures.

GP
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 07:02:50 pm »

TOG wrote: Do they actually break?
Oh yes in the end they will breake!

Hans
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 09:20:03 pm »

a lot of weight is found by removing the rust there Wink

pic Godfried.

After welding close the gaps and make one on the lowest point so no condens and water can close in.

Fill this with acid free kit (to keep dirt and moister out).

Use copper grease to mount the bolts (important to get it off again after a few years).

The 1.6 types do break.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 09:40:28 pm by Oetker » Logged

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
Titus

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 04:32:58 pm »

Now that my hunt for pistons is over I started to take out the engine yesterday and look what I found waiting for me on the right arm. I had them refurbed only 2 years ago which is disappointing.

Any one willing to part with a half decent arm for the 1.6?

1.6 Murena
GP
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 07:13:33 am »

Have you made  a will yet?  Grin

GP
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 08:12:49 am »

Those trailing arms could have broken any time under hard cornering  :-(((
lewisman

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 01:57:43 am »

Now that my hunt for pistons is over I started to take out the engine yesterday and look what I found waiting for me on the right arm. I had them refurbed only 2 years ago which is disappointing.

I bought a lot of murena parts from a gent in Edinburgh.  He had a pair of very good trailing arms but they were for a 1.6 - mine is a 2.2 so I didn't buy them.

I will see if I can find a phone number.

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 10:08:01 am »

I bought a lot of murena parts from a gent in Edinburgh.  He had a pair of very good trailing arms but they were for a 1.6 - mine is a 2.2 so I didn't buy them.

I will see if I can find a phone number.

I always thought the suspension on the 1.6 and 2.2 was the same, except for maybe stronger springs on the 2.2. Are you sure the arms themselves are different? If so what is the difference? Huh

Matranaut par excellence Cool
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 10:12:10 am »

The arms are different. The 2.2 arms has a different shape in order to make sufficient space for the bigger 2.2 engine. Further to me the 2.2 arms looks stronger with a much bigger cress section. You can use the 2.2 arms on a 1.6 but not the other way around.

Hans
matramurena

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 07:31:20 pm »

2.2 arms are way stronger then the 1.6 ones. Also the 1.6 arms look like they are made from sheet-metal and then been formed in two halves that have been pressed together, while the 2.2 arms loook like they are made from solid steel welded together.

Anyway, both of this arms will rust away, so replacement or reinforecement is a must!

1983 Matra Murena V6 (AR engine)
2003 Matra Avantime 2.0T Expression
2003 Matra Avantime V6 Privilege
Titus

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 09:40:46 pm »

Thanks for all the advice.

Having spent £700 on the refurb of the two arms (excluding bushes) only 2 years ago, and the car has rearly been in the wet and garaged, I am reluctant to spend money on an unknowen arm history.

Does anyone have experience of the Politecnic remanufatured arms please? Very expensive but are they worth it?

1.6 Murena
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 10:30:13 pm »

refurbing 1.6 arms is a lost case.
welding is impossible because of misforming of the arms.
The 2.2 arms can be welded but you need a profesional to do it.
My right trailing arm was welded by a amateur.
My wheel ended up 7 mm out of line, so i replaced it for another one.

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 12:17:18 am »

I always thought the suspension on the 1.6 and 2.2 was the same, except for maybe stronger springs on the 2.2. Are you sure the arms themselves are different? If so what is the difference? Huh

Oh yes they are definitely different Jon.  Not only are they stronger, they are designed in a different way, and one thing no-one else has mentioned yet - the rear track is wider on a 2.2 compared to a 1.6, so although the 2.2 arms could theoretically be fitted to a 1.6 you should strictly have slightly longer driveshafts too.  Since the driveshafts can compress and extend within a limited range (and you will note they have to be compressed as you assemble the rear suspension) it is possible this will take up the extra width, but the shafts will not then be working in the correct area, or as they were before and this may lead to premature failure.

The 1.6 arm is made up of two pressings joined along the flange.  The 2.2 arm is made of four flate plates welded along the corner joins to make a box section.  Both rot owing to the fact that when welded, any protective paint on the inside is burnt off leaving it unprotected and as we know, no manufacturer ever bothers to pump in a protective cover afterwards!  So the moisture gets in and does its worst.

Before fitting replacement arms you always want to apply as much protective to the inside as possible, and then re-apply more at intervals during their life.

Roy

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: