| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 2.2dci lacking power ???  (Read 12063 times)
kertrats24

« on: July 04, 2011, 11:08:50 pm »

hi
I recently bourght a 02 espace 2.2dci I love it but just after i bourght it it was making a blowing noise after checking found a split in the cat and got it replaced by the place i got it from great  Grin No a day later more blowing sound after a bit more checking i found a hole in the pipe at the rear box so I replaced the rest of the system great  Grin not quite now the exhaust was quite i could hear the knakered wheel bearing rear passanger side luckly that was covered under warranty so got that sorted yay ...
Ok now thats the back ground covered heres the problem I think its down on power it drives well but doesn't seem to have much power pulling away witch can get a bit hairy at juntions.
also i dont know if it is connected but when i turn off the ignition the engine dosnt just stop it seems to have a bit of a judder then stop.
It had a oil service before i picked it up although i think they over filled it the oil comes just over the hashed marks on the yellow dipstick should a drain some out .
Any help or thoughts welcome...
jack daniels

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 09:50:52 am »

not sure about the juddering and lack of power but it's probably a good idea to drain out some oil.
on some cars that amount of overfill could be 100ml , on others it could be much more. Plus the dipstick isn't allways that accurate so it's best to keep the oil level away from the top and bottom lines unless you are very sure of the volumes. If you only have to drain out 100ml or so before the oil level reads ok then it probably wasn't contributing to your problem. However I know some service senters just pour in a volume that they find in a catalog and never bother to check the dipstick. At least you wont be straining any oil seals if you drain out a shade.
      If it is significantly overfilled I'd expect starting difficulties as well.

Espace, Grand (magnifique, formidable, grandiose, considérable, noble, ample) III  
2002   JE02   F4R  DP0   2.0L 16v auto
Martin Tyas

Espace, because it's worth it!

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 09:08:10 pm »

Have you checked that the air filter isn't in need of renewing?

It would also be worth checking the EGR valve and cleaning it anyway if you don't have a full service history on the car. You will find several threads on the forum related to removing and cleaning EGR valves.

Martin

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2002 Grand Espace 2.2dCi "The Race"
2003 Astra 1.8i Cabriolet "Edition 100"
2011 Insignia SRi VX-Line Red
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
kertrats24

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 09:43:34 pm »

Have you checked that the air filter isn't in need of renewing?

It would also be worth checking the EGR valve and cleaning it anyway if you don't have a full service history on the car. You will find several threads on the forum related to removing and cleaning EGR valves.

Martin
Thanks  martin
it has only done 60k and has got full service history and the air filter should have been changed before i got it and looks new .
i have seen your posts on the egr valve and was going to strip it out tonight but its hissing down so will have to wait for a day or two..
with such low milage i am wondering if its been only used for short trips so im gessing i will find a coal seam in the egr valve.
I have read you should get the ecu reset after cleaning the egr valve is this right or will the ecu work out it can breath on its own. 
Martin Tyas

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 09:51:34 pm »

No, just clean and refit the EGR valve ~ no need for ECU reset.

In an ideal world the diffuser (the housing into which the EGR is fitted) should also be removed and cleaned but that's a bigger job so just try cleaning the EGR.

Martin

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
kertrats24

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 09:34:01 am »

Hi again Martin
I've removed and cleaned the egr valve it was a black and sticky but not too bad bit concerned
As there was a thin coating of oil on it is this normal or is it probably down to the over fill on my engine
Cheers stu
Martin Tyas

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 10:25:21 am »

I have always found the same Stu ~ carbon build up in the valve ports and on the diaphragms but black oily deposit around the barrel of the EGR so I don't think that is down to the slight overfill.

Martin

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
colin4255

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 12:51:33 pm »

Yep, mee too.  Black oily sludgy deposits on the EGR valve.  A lot of it is actually condensation from the  intercoo,ler system.  You could take these out in the heat of summer and find them with dry sooty deposits (especially after a long run), then next time it woud look oily. In most  cases its more condensation than oil .   Last time I cleaned an EGR it was very oily looking. Put it in a jug of brake cleaner and an hour later, mostly water at bottom of jug and very little dirt.

Its not that unusual to see them look like that.  I would just clean it thoroughly (making sure you DO NOT use anything remotely abrasive on the valve itself, or the part where it seats in the housing)  and thern put it back.
kertrats24

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 02:16:53 pm »

Yep, mee too.  Black oily sludgy deposits on the EGR valve.  A lot of it is actually condensation from the  intercoo,ler system.  You could take these out in the heat of summer and find them with dry sooty deposits (especially after a long run), then next time it woud look oily. In most  cases its more condensation than oil .   Last time I cleaned an EGR it was very oily looking. Put it in a jug of brake cleaner and an hour later, mostly water at bottom of jug and very little dirt.

Its not that unusual to see them look like that.  I would just clean it thoroughly (making sure you DO NOT use anything remotely abrasive on the valve itself, or the part where it seats in the housing)  and thern put it back.
Thanks colin
Cleaning it has helped a little i think i still think its a bit down on power athough perfectly driveible if i needed to pull away fast it can't
colin4255

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 10:01:38 am »

My espace is not particularly quick away from the lights so to speak, quite a big and fairly heavy vehicle to quick off the mark.  I have a VW Sharan 1.9Tdi that goes like a rocket and wheelspins away fi you ain't careful, but not so the Espace.

The slight juddering you feel when it turns off could be a worn or broken top engine mount. Notorious problem with the Mk3 Espace. Not a dear fix.

Not sure what else to suggest if it really is sluggish, but you could take it to a Renault dealer and let them look / drive it and see what they think. Usually if anything is badly wrong with and Espace you'll get beeping on the dash andf all sorts of symboles coming up when even the slightest things is wrong

How old is the car? How many miles.  One reason for sluggishness is leaks in the turbo / intercooler system. Older or high mileage cars can have split or blocked intercoolers  ( The air radiator for the turbo system) They tend to get clogged up with muck and crap from the turbo/EGR system and then split.  This would cause power loss generally. Maybe worth getting this checked out.
yellowt5r

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 10:38:24 am »

hi. i think you will find the "judder" is the lower engine mount, i had the pre cat torn due to this mount being completly worn so get it fixed or you will be buying another cat!

as for the performance mine was pretty quick for a people carrier until i fixed the blowing cat then turned sluggish. just due to no restrictions with the exhaust systems.

hope this helps.
kertrats24

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 11:47:15 pm »

ill have a look at the engine mounts is it likely they will look split or can the rubber just be perrished
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: