| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: A few Murena questions...  (Read 31871 times)
macaroni
YaBB God

Murena and Multipla - I like it 3 abreast!

« on: September 07, 2006, 09:53:00 pm »

From where can a replacement steering wheel boss be acquired?

From where can the "top hat" bushes around the gearlever L-shaped fulcrum be obtained? Are they the same as other Peugeots/Citroens/Talbots?

Is it easy to fit speakers into the doors? The speakers in the car I saw were down in the footwells, hardly ideal for hi-fi sound.
Although I guess with twin Dellortos sucking away behind my head, I won't hear much anyway!
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 10:11:58 pm »

You won't need new speakers... you will be enjoying the sound of the engine! ;-)

There's a good collection of links to parts vendors around the world here:
http://www.matrasport.dk/pointers.html#spares

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 11:14:48 pm »

The original place for speakers is in fact in the footwell, there is even an indentation in the chassis for them.

However, my car had (unoriginal, and OLD) speakers in the doors when I bought it - so the interior trim had been ruined already. Even in the doors, you cannot fit very big speakers, but as Anders says, you have the perfect soundscape right behind you anyway :-)

I replaced my old speakers with a (Sony Xplod) set that includes small treble pods, which can be put somewhere on the dashboard or mabe even the A-pillars - this moved the percieved sound upwards, and the produced "hifi" is quite usable. (nothing like my son's "monkey bass" which takes up most of the boot in our Peugepot 106 though)

With these mini-pods on the dashboard, I am quite sure I could live with having the real speakers in the footwell.  - but as it is, there are already big holes in my door-trim.

The doors are actually just as poor a place as the footwell, as your body and legs easily will cover the speakers, - and in my car, the speaker also interfere with the seat adjustment handle, so I have to open the door to really operate it. Not a big problem, but obviously unoriginal.

I have once seen a completely over-the-top Murena HiFi - which had the entire sparewheel well filled up with a custom built subwoofer "box", which connected to the cabin through a couple of 4" tubes. The 2 million Watt amp-powerplant took up most of the boot ... and all I could do was to shake my head in disbelief :-)

I have however been told that Blaupunkt produces a subwoofer system, which I think can be concealed by the passenger footrest (if I had one).

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
macaroni
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 01:21:13 pm »

OK, thanks guys. I now know where to get a whole new gear linkage kit (Politecnic), a steering wheel boss (matra-magic) and a solution to the speaker problem (Sony).

It looks like the Politecnic gear linkage kit does without the top hat bushes and uses a "self-lubricating" all-metal bush in the L-shaped fulcrum (if my french serves me correctly).

I know the engine will be loud, which is fine, but with all due respect, it isn't an Alfa V6, so I may get tired of listening to it after a while and will need some of Slayer's new album to calm things down a bit.

I just need the car now.
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 01:30:58 pm »

I think Will (Matramagic) also carries the Politecnic gear linkage kit... right Will?

And I also think I found the subwoofer Lennart mentioned on Blaupunkts web: THB 250. It's not that expensive actually.

- Anders

Used to own:
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 02:59:28 pm »

THB 250.
nope, that's not it. I will locate the (hardcopy) brochure my son handed me and post the model name. It was a lot flatter, and more expensive (some 200 EUR).

macaroni, - don't nessecarily go for Sony speakers, - but just some with a separate trebble pod.

/Lennart
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 10:21:55 pm by Lennart Sorth » Logged

Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 08:51:14 pm »

In my Murena I have replaced the speakers in the foot well with a set that is bigger than original using a set of distance rings. As a modern car radio has out put for 2 set of speakers I also placed a second set of 6x9” speakers under the dashboard facing downwards, this was a difficult fit but installing the speakers this way they are out of sight and I did not have to ruin the interior of the car.

regards Hans
Will Falconer

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 08:37:11 am »

Yes I sell the same gear linkage kit as Politecnic.

I sell the top-hat washers and relay bushes seperately as they aren't included in that kit.

macaroni
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 04:50:28 pm »

What is the size of the standard fit footwell speakers?

Is it possible to fit a subwoofer behind any of the seats, Lambo Diablo style?

Will, I have also been conversing with you via email, I will try and stick to one forum (no pun intended!)
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 10:33:10 pm »

Is it possible to fit a subwoofer behind any of the seats, Lambo Diablo style?

no, - not unless you find an eletrostatic sub (which is sort of an oxymoron)  - OR, if you are short enough (midget?) to actually not have the drivers seat all the way back. In that case, there might be a chance to fit some kind of subwoofer behind the drivers seat.

There aren't many other options for fitting a sub - Hans's under-the-dashboard method could possibly be extended to molding a loadchamber for a sub (good luck! :-) ), otherwise a flat sub under the footrest is probably the only viable option.

The Blaupunkt active subwoofer I mentioned earlier in this thread is called THB200A - http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/spkr0_2.asp

Apparently Clarion makes a very similar one called  SRV303 ( http://tl.com/gcygq )

They are both about 7-8cm, has a 7" or 8" unit, and a builtin amp/crossover.

They will not blow the shirt off you (or your passengers Smiley ) - but should improve low-end a little.

PS: I don't recall the size of the original footwell cutouts, but its somewhere in the regon of 3-4" - in other words rather small by todays standards.

Will Falconer

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 08:31:14 am »

From memory they are 5 inch / 125mm

I once saw a Carjoy Perestroika Murena  which had a subwoofer lengthways where the cassette tray should be. It was about 200mm diameter and I thought it went through the bulkhead floor, but on reflection that would have been completely stupidso I hope it didn't.
macaroni
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 11:46:09 am »

Just to resurrect this thread, I finally got some speakers fitted. I used Alpine Components with an Alpine amp to power them and they sound great!

The limitting factor on speaker choice was the small mounting depth.

Note to Matra_Hans, how did you you spacer rings with the clutch foot rest in the way?
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 12:52:29 pm »

Good to hear, congratulations...! Did you fit the speakers in the original positions in the footwells? Have you fitted tweeters too?

I also thought whether all radios would fit since a deep unit would collide with the air duct behind the radio, but that wasn't a problem?

My car is fitted with an old Blaupunkt radio and while it has excellent theft protection (it's worthless on the black market!) and matches the car well, every time there's a sale of car radios I find myself comparing prices and specifications... Cheesy

- Anders

Used to own:
macaroni
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 01:27:59 pm »

Yes, down in the footwells, with the amp behind the footboard in the passenger side. The separate tweeters are mounted on the dashboard and it sounds great. Not quite as much bass I like, but with such small mounting depths, that is never going to happen.

The stereo fitted very easily. Standard DIN size Sony.

Also, just got hold of a 12" Moto-Lita steering wheel, so if that fits, I will be well happy.
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 06:50:42 pm »

Just to resurrect this thread, I finally got some speakers fitted. I used Alpine Components with an Alpine amp to power them and they sound great!
I just spend the weekend removing eht old speakers and headunit and refitting some new ones... Quite a job considering I had to find a way to fill in the holes the old speakers had left in the door panels...
After I figured out a cuning way to do this I fitted my new panasonic CVSCVZXCVZCVV--6476458b deluxe-something.. along with a pair of matching speakers... and to what use??... the speakers are rubbish.. even compared to the jbl 3-ways in my old citroen.... not that i would do me much good to fit a pair of high end speakers..... not as long as my 40mm carbs and throaty exhaust are still set on "kill"..

Still... would have bee nice with some music during town travel.. 
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: