| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Bagheera Limited Slip Differential  (Read 53501 times)
JL

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 11:05:47 pm »

Hi Andy

Try these guys, not cheap but will do one offs.

http://www.davemacprops.com/gripper.html

Regards
John
bert1

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 04:08:53 pm »

Andy I know something is probably be better than nothing - but a few mates have tried ATB style (gear) hemispheres in their racecars. This was due to the "clutch pack" style being so expensive. Sadly none of them are very happy in circuit applications (those using them on-road are content). I will see if I can locate some incar video which clearly shows that they only get a lap or 2 before getting "open diff" style wheelspin out of slow corners. All very anecdotal, I know, but based on their experiences and my happiness with the Bacci Romano in my Fiat I am going to persue a clutch pack style.

There is a company in Australia that will make them for us. But - same old story - minimum order quantities that we'll never be able to fulfil...

The quest goes on - but it DOES feel like we are making some progress...
GP

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 11:02:34 pm »

Hi Andy,

An associate of mine had a plate type limited slip differential made bespoke for him by Elite Racing Transmissions for his Frogeye Sprite. He actually preferred these over the Quaife ATB type and put forward a good case for the plate type. Adjustable and keep working even when a wheel comes of the ground.
He had a fairly soft set up made for sprinting and was very pleased with the service and keen price of £500:00.

Must be worth making contact with them. Stoke on Trent U.K.

http://www.eliteracingtransmissions.com/index.php?parts

Merry x-mas

Graham
andyowl

New exhaust "straight through" - good sound!

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 01:09:12 pm »

Ref: Elite Racing Transmissions, Stoke on Trent, UK

Thanks for the info. My daughter lives 15 miles from there and I have emailed Elite for a meeting on January 10th when we are "en route" for the Racing Car Show at NEC.

Let's see if they are any more positive than Quaife!

Happy New Year to all Matristi!

Back in business for fun!
andyowl

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 01:27:00 pm »

JL Wrote: Try these guys, not cheap but will do one offs.

http://www.davemacprops.com/gripper.html

Dear John,

I have contacted these guys and hope to see them on our trip to the Racing Car Show at NEC w/c January 7th.

Thanks for the info.

Andy Owler

GP

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 10:29:36 pm »

Ref: Elite Racing Transmissions, Stoke on Trent, UK

Thanks for the info. My daughter lives 15 miles from there and I have emailed Elite for a meeting on January 10th when we are "en route" for the Racing Car Show at NEC.

Let's see if they are any more positive than Quaife!

Happy New Year to all Matristi!

Hi Andy,

How did the meeting witth Elite go out of interest?

Cheers,

Graham
andyowl

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 07:43:55 pm »

They were all exhibiting at the AutoSport show and not in their offices that day! I packed the old diff, the broken Bell Housing/Diff casing and a drive shaft end into a "wheely suitcase" and went to the show with Liz. Other than the weight of the suitcase and a "jobs-worth" security man being unhappy about me pulling the suitcase ("a trip hazard for other visitors!") there were no problems. We visited three LSD suppliers, including Quaife, and all said that they could help if I provided them with drawings of the available space. It was certainly worth showing the hardware. Now I need to do the drawings!

The Bad News... while we were buying Liz an FIA race helmet my tuning man, Dermot McGivern of "Power4Peanuts", rang to say that the old 1592cc engine I had taken to him to balance and modify was not worth spending money on. Too worn and "badly reconditioned in the past" (before I bought the car!). We need a new plan! The update is on another thread!
Andy

andyowl

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 02:50:08 pm »

Dear Roy,

May I place a "Wanted" ad on the Matra Forum please?

Wanted: A Simca/Dodge/Talbot gearbox & differential with a lower final drive ratio than the standard Bagheera design. I need better acceleration for the Sprints and Hill Climb events we do and do not need high top speed! Commercial vehicles would be a suitable source. Advice is very welcome as always!
Andy Owler

Thank you very much.

Andy

JL

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 08:26:42 pm »

Hi Andy

Slightly off the wall but have you thought about an alternative gearbox/diff unit, a Peugeot or Ford unit where either different gear or final drive  ratios would be more readily available?

Regards
John
andyowl

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2015, 10:00:22 pm »

It is such a long time since I even visited this forum that perhaps nobody ever looks at it anymore? Sad - but I guess everyone uses the Facebook site???

This topic was raised some years ago but THIS WEEK I am actually fitting the LSD I purchased from the french Matra Spares company before they closed down.

If anyone responds to this post I will try to keep you updated. We have entered Baggy Joe in his first Sprint with the new LSD and lowered final drive ratio (from Mick Ward's Simca Pickup).

Andy

Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2015, 08:38:08 am »

Hi Andy,
I will like to hear about your expirience with the diff.
Hans
Moes

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2015, 12:03:35 pm »

Hi Andy

I would also like hear about your experience with your new LSD diff   Grin

Best regards Frederik
Fred

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2015, 11:34:01 pm »

I'm still looking in occasionally too and enjoy reading your posts Andy.   

1978 Matra Simca Bagheera S  |  1979 Matra Simca Bagheera S  |  1994 Saab 9000 Aero
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2015, 03:13:59 pm »

It is such a long time since I even visited this forum that perhaps nobody ever looks at it anymore? Sad - but I guess everyone uses the Facebook site???

Andy

Certainly not me.  I don't have anything to do with facebook, twitter, linkedin or other modern social media all of which (from my point of view) have certain security risks and I can't see any advantage over what I already use - email, and the forum.

I think the lack of posts here shows more the fact that most things have already been answered and that many of the people are the same - there are not so many new people with Matra anymore particularly Bagheera but also the other models.  However, I do still get a number of people enquiring about buying a Murena but they expect to be able to buy a good one and drive it away, when we know the reality is much different.  The owners of good cars very rarely wish to sell, and the ones that are for sale usually need quite a lot of restoration.

Roy

Lanng

Its complicated...

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2017, 03:50:37 pm »

Any update on your LSD adventure  Grin
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: