| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Adjustable Carburettor Intake Trumpets  (Read 10728 times)
GP

« on: October 29, 2011, 08:30:25 am »

See the article below for general interest only.

http://www.emeraldm3d.com/articles/emr-adj-length-intake/

I am going to try this out of sorts on my 2.2 Murena with 2 x 45 Weber DCOE setup next week.

I do not have an adjustable system like this, which I think is very simple and neat. However I currently have 30mm trumpets fitted and have a set of 62mm and 75mm trumpets to try out in back to back test on a rolling road dyno.

Keep you posted of the results, if any?

GP
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 08:42:00 am by GP » Logged
GP

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 11:17:45 pm »

Spent some time on a rolling road last week and tried out all 3 x length trumpets.  

All 3 x lengths did give different figures but the 62mm. trumpets which actually came with the carbs. from new actually performed the best with 158.6 bhp  / 6533 rpm and 125.8 lbft / 4753 rpm.

The 75mm. trumpets were 2.2 bhp down and the 30mm. trumpets were 4.6 bhp down.
Not a lot I will admit but every little bit counts.

I am running with 36mm chokes and unless anyone knows otherwise with this setup 165 bhp is probably the best you could get anyway, without going to 48 DCOE's and 42mm. chokes.

The 75mm. trumpets do look good though, but have had to come off for the 62mm. trumpets which still fit O.K. inside my existing Pipercross foam filter setup.

All day Track Day booked at Brands Hatch on the 10th. November to go out and play.  Grin

GP
macaroni
YaBB God

Murena and Multipla - I like it 3 abreast!

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 10:51:49 pm »

Hi all!

Just spent the day with Graham and his Murena at Brands and all the blowing of his trumpets has paid off. Using my trusty Nokia N8 with RaceChrono data logging software, he got a personal best time around the Indy circuit of 1.00.07. I suspect without my weighty frame in the car (or his bulging wallet) he would have cracked the 1 minute barrier.

The car went very well, even sideways as we hit a patch of water/oil deposited by a poorly 205 gti.

It was a great day and proof there is plenty of life in the old dog yet. The car was pretty good too...
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 11:11:09 am »

Hi Graham and Antony

Very interesting! Your torque max is very high, but perfect for a race car. How is your impression about driving it on the road? Do the 70 trumpets feel better or worse on the road? I'm actaully a little surprised that the 62 mm trumpets gave the best results as I would have thought that the short ones would have been a little better. I'm running 38 mm trumpets on my DCOE40's with Holbay cam.

/Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
GP

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 11:13:52 am »

Hi Anders,

Torque max is high but it pretty flat from 3800 rpm with a little blip at 4753 rpm. Antony told me about a rolling road very close to me at a place called Vulcan Engineering who do a power run for £30:00 so I may have the previous session verified with the 62mm. trumpets fitted.

http://www.vulcanengines.com/

As an aside it is fine to drive on the road and am looking forward to a navigational type road rally that Andy Owler is organizing for the MECUK on the 4th. December from the Grasshopper Inn Westerham in KENT. Meet 11:00am. for breakfast. Hope to see lots of members there.

Graham
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: