| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: GEARBOX GAITER nearside inner  (Read 4334 times)
yellowt5r

« on: November 15, 2011, 10:05:53 pm »

Hi,

In relationtion to the title the gaiter has a metal "ring" next to the gaiter on the smallest section (nearest to the hub) is the rubber ment to connect to that ring?

i ask as i accidently pull the shaft out a bit too much and the rubber seem to come away from that ring/seal so i had small amount of gearbox fluid come out. i tried to push it back in with no much luck so i pushed it as far as possible back to the ring/seal and installed another clamp round it. all seems well but im just alittle worried as its the gearbox.

thanks in advance
chewbacca

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 11:30:56 am »

Hello there.

I think the "ring" is actually an oil seal attatched to the gaiter with the clip,which the driveshaft rotates around.Unless it's been damaged when it was pulled out,which I doubt ,I'm sure you'll be safe enough.The inner pressed clamp holding the boot to the gearbox with the 3 setscrews does the same at the inner end ,seals the gearbox,if you remove the clamp the gearbox oil will escape ,like it did at the small end,in effect the boot is full of oil.Try it round the block a few times and check for weeps,you won't dump the contents of the gearbox on the road i'm sure,if for any chance it isn't sealed most you'd expect would be a weep.Good Luck.

Kind Regards
yellowt5r

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 11:35:13 am »

Hi Well it popped out on me i managed to push it up close and you a heavy duty cable tie. all seems good. Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: