| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: wishbone ball joint problems  (Read 8093 times)
yellowt5r

« on: November 14, 2011, 11:11:28 pm »

Hi I had to do a little bit of work on the car and thought id make it abit easier by removing the ball joint on the wish bone. after iron brushing the thread and WD40 it started to undo it all was going well then the thread decieded to start turning too.  Angry

after alot of messing about trying to work out how to remove it i decided to do it back up (thank god it did too!) and leave it as the was no obvious way to remove the nut Huh. Please can someone tell me how on earth does that nut come off? on any normal car it has somthing to grip like the espace drop links (allen key)

Im asking now as i now in the near future ill have to replace that ball joint or for another reason need to remove it.

RazorbackNOR

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 11:39:52 pm »

On a bit older cars, the only three things that seem to work are:

1. Hacksaw
2. Anglegrinder
3. Lots of heat

This because the threads are rusted tight, and wouldn't allow you to get the nut passed them, considering the bolt turns inside the joint, you're out of luck(been there several times) And getting a grip on the threads is near to impossible. A puller is also of little value, since it seldom is able to stop the bolt from turning too....

2010 Mazda 3 1,6  Diesel Gunmetal Blue
1983 Matra Murena 2.2 Platine
50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
BrianM

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 12:41:51 am »

Clean the threads as best you can with a wire brush, maybe use some rust dissolving fluid if you can get any. Put a jack under the wishbone to keep the joint under pressure & You should be able to get the nut off. If it slips then back off & try again as many times as needed until it is off. Try some heat on it so it expands a little if  troublesome.
chewbacca

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 04:58:28 pm »

Cut  a slot at 45 degrees across the nut effectively releasing the pressure on the nut,with a junior hacksaw. You'll need to replace the nut obviously ,and It'll probably be metric fine thread ,but cheaper than a new arm/balljoint

Wink
yellowt5r

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 10:07:17 pm »

Ok thank for that. now im really looking forward to replacing them! Grin
yellowt5r

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 10:08:43 pm »

copper grease the bloody things people!!
William123

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 11:38:17 am »

Cut  a slot at 45 degrees across the nut effectively releasing the pressure on the nut,with a junior hacksaw. You'll need to replace the nut obviously ,and It'll probably be metric fine thread ,but cheaper than a new arm/balljoint

Wink

I agree with this as you are best replacing the nut each time it is removed, also you should get a new one supplied with the new ball joint.  Smiley
renaultbiler

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 10:34:27 pm »

Depending on how much it sticks, putting a jack underneath the ball head and resting the cars weight on it will create pressure on the cone, sometimes enough to get the nut off.
If not you are perhaps best off with a nut splitter tool and replace the nut obviously.

1980 Alpine A-310 w/GTA 2.5 V6 Turbo
2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
Service Online: www.servicehefte.net/servdata/?cid=qqkX
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: