| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Grand Espace floor length?  (Read 11219 times)
TheJoker

« on: September 18, 2006, 01:07:01 pm »

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a car that can carry two motorbikes and two persons for long distances. I've initially looked at van derivates such as V-Klasse, Caravelle etc, but as I have a sore spot for the Espace, I'm now looking into the Grand Espace.
I owned a Phase 1 Espace several years ago, never got to drive it as the clutch was broken and I just couldn't justify spending the £600 to get it back on the road. Sadly I had to ask the breaker to come get it. Never really got over that.
Unfortunately that version was a tad too short for my needs. And now I have an even longer bike.
My bike is 220cm and my girlfriends is 210cm long. Smiley
I've searched the 'Net about how long the "cargo" area is in a Grand Espace (or Espace for that matter) once the seats are removed (leaving the two in the front). To be precise, could someone measure the distance from the back of the driver's seat to the inside of the tail-gate? I'm also interested in the height and width if that's possible too.

Please tell me there's plenty of room as I'd love to get a JE Grand Espace 2.2 Diesel.   Cool Smiley

Thanks in advance! Smiley

Grand Espace 2.2 dCi 2001 Silver
KTM 990 SuperDuke R Smiley
Dead: BMW K1200R
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 11:08:20 pm »

I "only" have a standard JE 2.2dci - but I fear the loadingheight could be a
problem. The high floor makes it not as spaceous as it would seem.

I have had my sons moped in there, and it was a *quite* tight fit getting it in.
The opening at the tailgate is not much over 1 meter - approx 103cm , once
inside however, you have 113 cm to the ceiling.

From the drivers seat to the tailgate we have anything between 190cm to 210cm
depending on seat adjustment and back-inclination. This is a standard JE (not Grand)

The Espace really isn't that big, if you compare it to some of its rivals these days.
Sometimes our little JE is very hard to find in a parkinglot full of SUV's and 4x4's

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
TheJoker

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 10:28:35 am »

Thanks very much for that Lennart. You point out a very cruical point. I had completely forgotten that when I loaded my old bike into the old Espace. It was very very tight.
So this morning I measured the height of the bikes, and they're both 110-115cm. However mirrors and screens can be removed to lower them, but I don't know if they'll go to 103cm. Naturally the first bike can be leant over to get it in, but I doubt the second one can.
We've also said that we don't want a car that requires us to disassemble the bikes a lot to get them in.

Am I correct in believing that the Grand Espace is 20cm longer than the Espace..? Which would give a length of 210 to 230cm..? Depending on how much the tailgate slopes that might be enough.

I'm quite saddened by this, as I was really excited when my girlfriend mentioned that the Grand Espace might just work for us. The Espace is the most car-like and un-van-like Smiley

Hmm... I'd really need to try it out...  Huh

Thanks again, Lennart! Very much appreciated. Daeligt!

Will Falconer

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 01:33:14 pm »

I just measured my Grand, which is doubling as a builder's wagon at the moment, and it will give
 you about 230cm max.

Like any MPV the tailgate opening is quite narrow and I think you would find that limiting.

But it would make a cool bike transporter... Cool
TheJoker

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 02:42:52 pm »

I just measured my Grand, which is doubling as a builder's wagon at the moment, and it will give
 you about 230cm max.

Like any MPV the tailgate opening is quite narrow and I think you would find that limiting.

But it would make a cool bike transporter... Cool

Would be very cool indeed!  Cool Thanks for measuring that! Very much appreciated. You say max 230cm - I assume that's with the seats in the furthest forward position? I'm only 174cm short, so I'd probably have the seat somewhere in the middle position. What are the odds of leaving 220cm for the bike..?  Huh
Tailgate - yes... I'd really need to try one... Wonder if I could find one at a garage nearby and they'd let me take it for a "spin"...  Undecided

Thanks again!  Cool

Will Falconer

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 04:13:51 pm »

Well I'm tall but I don't like to drive with my arms stretched.  As the seats are high off the floor forward and back movement isn't as crucial as in low cars. Yes you mightjust  get another 10cm by having the seat further forward.
TheJoker

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 04:19:43 pm »

Cheesy Grin Cool

I really need to try one out now. Smiley

Thanks for your help!

Martin Tyas

Espace, because it's worth it!

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 06:04:51 pm »

No doubt you have already thought of these  but you could always try letting down the front tyres..... on the bikes that is.... not the Espace Wink  ..... that would lower the handle bars by 5cm or more to assist with loading and unloading if height under the tail gate was a problem..... and then use the handy power socket at the rear of the centre console to plug in a 12 volt pump to blow them up again.... I just knew that one day I'd think of a use for that power socket.  Grin
Also if you put your bike, which is longest, behind the passenger seat you should be able to make enough room as the passenger seat position isn't as critical as the drivers seat.

Martin

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2002 Grand Espace 2.2dCi "The Race"
2003 Astra 1.8i Cabriolet "Edition 100"
2011 Insignia SRi VX-Line Red
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
TheJoker

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 06:11:12 pm »

Martin, I hadn't actually thought of the tyres... they're not that high, but might just do it. I've been thinking of straps to compress the suspension... but I think they'll fit fairly well. The wheel will be inside the car way before the highest point (fairing/bars).... but tyres, there's an idea... Smiley

And yeah... Think we'll put my girlfriends bike behind the driver's seat. I did a (bad) measure and I got it to about 240cm, which is good enough... Smiley

Can't wait to try it out next sat (as I'm picking mine up then  Smiley )

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: