| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: drive shaft boot  (Read 10069 times)
klumzer

« on: January 01, 2012, 11:40:14 pm »

Has anyone tried universal drive shaft boot like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SLIDE-A-BOOT-MEDIUM-STRETCH-CV-DRIVESHAFT-GAITER-KIT-/170749350971?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27c174543b

I ordered QH kits for the outer side (part number: QJB110) but it does not fit. According to the dealer it should both Murena 1.6 and 2.2.
So now I am looking for another boots.
Bart_Maztra

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 06:52:38 am »

There are two types of gaiters kits. The rubber bit is the same, but the metal can have different length.  A short can for the inner cv joint, and a longer can for the outher cv joint.
There are also gaiters for sale without the metal can. Then you have to re-use the old can.
Don't know the QH numbers.

Universal gaiters, it's been done before.
Here is mine.

You need to modify the can around the cv joint.

More pics on the Belgium forum
http://www.matramania.be/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1665&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

uberprutser

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 10:31:33 am »

I've used something similar on the inner cv joint.

Remove  the trailing arm. Cut away the old boot. Heat up the new boot in boiling water. Slide the boot over the outer cv joint using a modified coke bottle (the hard plastic type) and a bit of silicon spray for lubrication. Ad grease, fasten the new boot and remount the trailing arm.

FYI. Make sure you fasten the trailing arm bolds with the car on the ground. Officially you should also have some extra wait (25kg I believe) in the boot. I Always put the garage jack under the hub and lower the car as much as possible. It's easier to fasten the bolds without the wheel attached to the car.
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 11:44:44 am »

I've used a universal boot, the way I did it was to carefully remove the can and dismantling it.  The boot is held in by a ring inside, which also serves as a limiter for the joint travel.  Tap the ring out, slide the new boot inside the can and tap the ring back so that it retains the boot tightly.
klumzer

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 06:37:04 pm »

So, it can be used. Thanks for the answer.

I checked Simon's webshop for new boots, but those are very expensive. Universal boots seems much cheaper.
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 11:10:31 am »

Has anyone tried universal drive shaft boot ...
I ordered QH kits for the outer side (part number: QJB110) but it does not fit. According to the dealer it should both Murena 1.6 and 2.2.
So now I am looking for another boots.

A normal driveshaft which has the gaiter on the outside can be replaced by these universal ones, but generally the Murena ones cannot.  The problem is the Murena gaiters fit INSIDE the retaining can and also they run at an angle virtually all the time which constantly pulls on them.  Since there is no ridge on the outside for the gaiter to grip on, universal ones usually pull off after a short while.  The only real solution is the proper gaiter.

The other factor to bear in mind is that the originals are different between 1.6 and 2.2 models and inner and outer ends, so it is hardly likely that one standard kit will replace all!

Roy

suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 11:55:10 am »

Much though I hesitate to disagree with you Roy Wink, a universal gaiter can be used if you dismantle the can and fit the gaiter on the inside.  The gaiter grips the lip on the ring, as shown in the photos in my post above.  The universal gaiters come with stepped ends that can be cut back until you have the correct diameter.  The one on my car has been there for eight months now and has survived last year's season ok and I do quite a few miles.  The "correct" replacement only lasted two years and cost three times as much!
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 01:26:15 am »

Much though I hesitate to disagree with you Roy Wink, a universal gaiter can be used if you dismantle the can and fit the gaiter on the inside.

You are obviously correct, since you have done it.  I was referring to fitting a universal one on the outside to save having to strip the driveshaft off the car.  I have used those successfully on a normal car driveshaft, but never on a Murena.

The "correct" replacement only lasted two years and cost three times as much!

It seems odd Peter, that you say the original type does not last well.  As you know I've had my car from new, and it was used daily for the first 12 years and never had any problem with any driveshaft gaiter.  That suggests the replacements are not as good as the original ones.  Maybe they are too hard a rubber.  Normally a driveshaft CV should run as near to straight as possible whilst the car is level, but in the case of the Murena, they are not like this, and run at an angle all the time, causing the gaiter to have to flex much more than a normal car.  So the gaiter needs to be more flexible too.

Roy

suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 11:43:35 am »

The "correct" replacement only lasted two years and cost three times as much!

It seems odd Peter, that you say the original type does not last well.  As you know I've had my car from new, and it was used daily for the first 12 years and never had any problem with any driveshaft gaiter.  That suggests the replacements are not as good as the original ones.  Maybe they are too hard a rubber.  Normally a driveshaft CV should run as near to straight as possible whilst the car is level, but in the case of the Murena, they are not like this, and run at an angle all the time, causing the gaiter to have to flex much more than a normal car.  So the gaiter needs to be more flexible too.

Roy
There seems to be a general trend towards pattern parts being of poor quality.  I've also had a steering rack gaiter split after only a short amount of use.  I don't know what the answer is for a small market and limited choice of suppliers such as Matra.
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 11:47:16 am »

The originals are indestructable.
I I think they are still for sale.
Also Renault Alpine had them mounted if I am correct.

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: