| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: '99 3.0 V6 24V battery or alternator problem?  (Read 5634 times)
José V. Gavilá

1999 Espace 3.0 V6 24V

« on: January 23, 2012, 09:04:32 am »

Hi all,

I was so happy with my Espace... that something weird should happen  Cry

This morning, when starting from cold (temperature was 9C, so not too cold), it has taken some extra time to start, almost dying on the first attempt. It seemed to me like a soft battery. OK, I have thought, I will see when going back home today.

I have also noticed that a front light was gone... OK, another work to do on return  Undecided

But then, while driving, I have got a new to me service message, which was an airbag logo on the graphic display. I had never saw such a warning... Then, on next traffic light, while looking at the instruments panel, I have noticed an unintended dimming of all of it... accelerating did not change that (so my suspect for alternator). Luckily, engine has kept running until I have arrived destination, 5 minutes later.

As I don't like the idea to be stranded at work with a non-starting car, I have managed to get a new battery during the morning (thanks to one of my daughters who will buy it and take it here). I have a multimeter also to check battery voltage with engine stopped and also, when started, to see if there is enough voltage to charge the battery, so alternator is OK.

But, meanwhile... could you comment about this?. Is the alternator a common problem?.Car has run about 130.000km. I guess the V6 engine is not easy to access to replace alternator, right?

Regards,

JOSE
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:07:19 am by José V. Gavilá » Logged

JOSE V. GAVILA
La Canyada (Valencia)
SPAIN

http://jvgavila.com
BrianM

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 10:36:34 am »

Your fault sounds like the alternator not charging the battery. You may have the volts but you need to check the amps also. I guess you will find out soon if you new battery dies also. If you have the old battery charge it up & have it drop charge tested. You will need an inductive amp meter to hold on the battery cable to see if the alternator is charging. Alternators are known to come & go as the brushes ware down to their limit. You may be able to get a regulator-brush pac kit if you look around, saving you the cost of a complete alternator.
José V. Gavilá

1999 Espace 3.0 V6 24V

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 11:31:34 am »

Hello!

Your fault sounds like the alternator not charging the battery. You may have the volts but you need to check the amps also. I guess you will find out soon if you new battery dies also. If you have the old battery charge it up & have it drop charge tested. You will need an inductive amp meter to hold on the battery cable to see if the alternator is charging. Alternators are known to come & go as the brushes ware down to their limit. You may be able to get a regulator-brush pac kit if you look around, saving you the cost of a complete alternator.

Well, I have replaced the battery with the one my daughter has bought (thanks Maria!). I have measured voltage on old battery. It was 12.7V, so it may seem good enough... And new battery was just 12.4V (yes, I know first thing I should do is to properly charge it). But car has started without a glitch with new battery (good!) and measured 14V on battery connections at idle (better!). So I guess it is a matter of internal damage (a bad battery element) which can't withstand load. I should say that the old battery has had a couple of deep discharges in the past. One was my fault (I left the car unused for months) and the other a Renault Service fault (they left an internal light on over a weekend). So that battery was doomed and it was just a matter of time.

Anyway, I will check battery charging current, as I have at home a clamp amperimeter (I am an electronics freak Wink , just check my WEB at http://jvgavila.com if you are curious). But I am pretty confident this time it was just a soft battery... anyway, I will report back my findings.

Thanks and best regards,

JOSE

JOSE V. GAVILA
La Canyada (Valencia)
SPAIN

http://jvgavila.com
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: