| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: rough idle, eureka moment (I think)  (Read 4535 times)
jamesbw

« on: February 18, 2012, 01:53:06 pm »

Hi guys

Bit of history on this first. Its a 2.1td 94 espace. When I got it, it occasionally had a rough idle and very occasionally stalled. I started using bio diesel and it got worse. I've been going down the route of air ingress to fuel system it clogged filter which can happen more often than usual with bio diesel. I've changed a couple of suspect fuel pipes, unfortunately they were also the only pipes with clear section so cannot confirm bubbles anymore. (filter to pump and fuel return pipe from injectors been replaced)

I found that changing filter helped and some been doing it every tankful but rough idle and stalling came back after using a quarter of a tank so been putting up with it.

However, today I jabbed noticed a pattern. the idle gets rougher in proportion to how empty the tank is. I'm thinking something to do with the pump on the tank, but was wondering if anyone could suggest anything else?

Its also terrible to start. Have to crank for at least 15 seconds if engine been of more than a minute, worse first thing in morning. Takes couple of minutes with 2 or 3 approx 30 second cranking. I know glow plugs are bad which will contribute but doesn't explain why bad to start when engine hot

Thanks in advance

James
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 01:56:31 pm by jamesbw » Logged
William123

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 01:07:37 pm »

Hi jamesbw, I had similar symptoms, and it was caused by air getting sucked into the fuel delivery pipe. This was caused by a hairline fracture on the fuel gauge sender on top of the tank. Suggest you change 1 pipe to a clear one to enable bubbles to be seen. Cheers, Bill.
jamesbw

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 06:49:02 pm »

I've not had tank of yet and I understand there is no access through the floor. What set up is it on the tank? Is there a lift pinko our just sender unit with some pipes?

I know it's air ingress without clear pipe from the symptoms

Chewers
William123

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 03:01:29 pm »

Hi, you have to drop the tank, and there is a big plastic thing that includes flow and return pipes plus fuel gauge sender unit. The whole thing is held by a large threaded ring and rubber gasket. This was a pig to refit as it is a very tight fit and very coarse thread, I kept thinking it was cross threading and I resorted to using a strap wrench ! The seals in the snap connectors are also a possible source of air leaks. A word of caution, it is easy to snag delicate top of this unit on cross member as you raise tank into position ! Have fun. Bill. Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: