| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Espace mk3 Airbags  (Read 8939 times)
chewbacca

« on: April 08, 2012, 01:21:42 pm »

Anybody have any experience with these.Shorted out the plugs for the pretensioners and the side airbags,common fault by all accounts,but airbag warning still there.I've tried other various plugs and sockets but found nothing.I've turned my attention to the airbag module and I'm wondering how reliable these are.I've had it disconnected and there's something rattling inside,I'm assuming t's some kind of sensor,but without dismantling it all together,which I would rather do as a last resort,does anyone know if there is something that rattles inside these.Is it possible to short the airbags out for testing purposes without having to resort to a diagnostics test ?,presently coming in at £90 just to put in on.It's now an automatic fail under the MOT for any warning lamp so realistically unless I can fix this myself the van is scrap,which is a shame because everything else is in good nick.

Kind Regards
BrianM

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 02:26:16 pm »

You would be best to replace it. I don't think that these should rattle, I had one out the other day & didn't notice it rattle. See if you can get one from an undamaged, same model car. Did you check the wiring to the steering wheel airbag.
You have to be very careful when working with the airbag system as i'm sure you know. You could look at the wiring diagram & make up some jumpers that bridge all the sensors with them disconnected. The computer is measuring resistance, if the cable resistance is high then it registers a fault.
Did you buy the car like this or has it accured during its life with you?
Rather than scrap it you could make up a small timer circuit that turned the light off after a few seconds!!
ross

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 03:19:49 pm »

Hi Chewbacca,

I have, what I think from your description is the air-bag computer, I took it out of a 1999 2.2DTi, as the airbag warning in my Espace used to come up everytime I started the car, but would go back to the clock/temp after a few seconds.
I meant to swap it but the warnings about playing with the airbag system put me off.
I have no longer got the car so the computer is going spare.
I can put a photo of the unit on this thread if you think it could be of use to you.
Regards
Ross
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 03:22:00 pm by ross » Logged

2005 Grande Espace 2.2DCi
1994 2.1Td Espace
2005 Kangoo 1.2
1977 Renault 16TL
1974 Renault 16TX
chewbacca

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 05:42:34 pm »

Brian I bought the car like this,It was back under waranty in less than a yearfrom new for the airbag light,I have all the receipts from the previous owner who looked after it very well.Because it wasn't an issue and the car is solid otherwise it hasn't bothered me untill the new MOT ruling which means warning lights ,ABS,AIRBAGS etc are an automatic fail.I've taken the plugs from under the seats and soldered them out I'm now assuming those are good.if I knew the resistance of the airbags I would probably try that to at least eliminate them totally.Yes I've had the drivers airbag off and checked the clockspring plug/socket which was home with no visible damage to any cables either to the clockspring or the airbag.I also visibly checked the passenger airbag but merely consists off the orange connector running back to the airbag computer on a yellow cable which again I assume is OK.The rattle from the air bag computer was strange almost sounded like a ball bearing triggered switch,but not having ever looked at one before was unsure if this is normal,something tells me it's not,I've opened it up but the board is held fairly tight so decide against forcing it without having any fallback.
Ross if you could put the picture up that would be great although you having the same fault as me could mean the unit is possibly like mine faulty/not faulty.
I'm swaying computer or clockspring.
Many Thanks for your replies
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 06:08:55 pm by chewbacca » Logged
ross

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 09:04:35 pm »

Hi Chewbacca,

As requested, please find a photo of the airbag computer I have.

It does have a slight rattle if you give it a gentle shake, so this could be normal.

The airbag computer is a good one, as far as I know, as it came from a scrapped Espace to replace the suspected one in my old Espace, but as I no longer have the old Espace, I made the mistake of buying an 05 plate  2.2dci, but there's another story, the airbag computer is spare.

Hope this is of help.
Regards
Ross

2005 Grande Espace 2.2DCi
1994 2.1Td Espace
2005 Kangoo 1.2
1977 Renault 16TL
1974 Renault 16TX
chewbacca

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 09:26:42 pm »

H i Ross,

Thanks for the picture ,the Matra number appears to be different which leads me to think it's different from mine which is no 6025313596. I've seen the same numbered one,my one that is, on ebay so I'm assuming my one and yours are different ,but thanks for the bother you have gone to.

kind Regards.

chewbacca

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 12:43:51 pm »

Well had to bite the bullet,historical fault stored from side airbag,contrary to what i believed to be the case once the fault has occured it's stored and needs to be reset withthe clip.Metered out all cabling between airbags,pretensioners,clockspring etc to no avail obviously.Wallet is now £90 lighter but at least I have the sacred OK on the dash.

Kind Regards
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: