| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: 1/4 million  (Read 25585 times)
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 03:10:48 pm »

Oh dear, sorry hear about the box. Sounds like mine did when the torque converter / pump bearing had gone. The noise was because of the filter becoming blocked with metal swarf. It would drop to the bottom of the box if I switched it off & could drive a short distance before it did it again. Fingers crossed for you.

That's interesting. Did you just have the torque converter replaced, or was the entire box fixed? I've decided to have the box replaced for the cost of 5000€ at a Renault garage including labour costs etc. That will give us peace of mind for a lot more years of driving. We just need to extend our holiday here for 4-5 more days, and the car will be all right to take us home. Being under Danish taxation, I'm ready to invest quite a bit in my car.

Sorry we spoke too soon!

Since the oil in the torque converter and main gearbox is the same, any contamination of one affects the other, so it is never sensible to replace one without the other.  You don't want contamination from one getting to the other new part.  And you can never clean out a torque converter properly.

Roy

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 08:20:10 pm »

Oh dear, sorry hear about the box. Sounds like mine did when the torque converter / pump bearing had gone. The noise was because of the filter becoming blocked with metal swarf. It would drop to the bottom of the box if I switched it off & could drive a short distance before it did it again. Fingers crossed for you.

That's interesting. Did you just have the torque converter replaced, or was the entire box fixed? I've decided to have the box replaced for the cost of 5000€ at a Renault garage including labour costs etc. That will give us peace of mind for a lot more years of driving. We just need to extend our holiday here for 4-5 more days, and the car will be all right to take us home. Being under Danish taxation, I'm ready to invest quite a bit in my car.

Sorry we spoke too soon!

Since the oil in the torque converter and main gearbox is the same, any contamination of one affects the other, so it is never sensible to replace one without the other.  You don't want contamination from one getting to the other new part.  And you can never clean out a torque converter properly.

Roy

thanks for your input, Roy. I'm sure Renault will replace both, but I'll check tomorrow.

Don't be sorry. It could have happened anytime, and it will be as good as new when they're done with it. For now, we're driving a hopeless Nissan, and after doing lots of Provence mountain roads in it, the family can't wait to get back in the Espace Smiley

/Anders
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 08:27:55 pm by Anders Dinsen » Logged

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
BrianM

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 08:03:07 pm »

Being mechanically minded & skint I found a second hand replacement.
here is the post with pictures > http://www.matrasport.dk/forum/index.php/topic,2451.msg19088.html#msg19088

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2014, 12:29:05 pm »

Thanks for linking to the old post. I should have reread it before going here :-)

Anyway... things are NOT going according to plans.

Tuesday, I saw the garage and they told me the gearbox had arrived from Paris and that they would start working on the car in the afternoon, work all day wednesday, and we could have it thursday and go back home Friday. Great!

I left them to do their work Wednesday, and called them Thursday morning. "Tomorrow" was the answer. What?! I went with my wife and two of the boys to see them just after siesta. This is what we found: A car with the old gearbox still fitted. The new one was in an unopened box on a pallet next to the car. Obviously they had NOT started working neither Tuesday or Wednesday, but hadn't rolled it in until Thursday morning. Duh!

They told me it would be ready the next day, though, so there was little we could do, and went back to our apartment. It wasn't fun for the family.

Friday morning, I went in to see it just before the siesta, and the new box was now fitted, but there was still a lot of work to do. The replenishment of airconditioning and a test drive for example... "C'est possible", the customer service guy said. The mechanic just looked at him.

Status is that the engine was running Friday afternoon half an hour before closing time, so we're still stuck. SOS couldn't get us a car big enough to fit us all... My oldest son felt really bad, so he went home by plane yesterday with the help of SOS. Tomorrow at 8 am I'm at the garage prepared to wait until the car is done.

So I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, but of course expecting it to be fine tomorrow. I'm really not worried about the car, the mechanic is competent and it will be perfect. It's my family I'm worried about :-/

/Anders

« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 05:44:27 pm by Anders Dinsen » Logged

Used to own:
BrianM

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 10:05:23 pm »

Sad to hear of your problems. I dont understand why they stripped the front of the car as the box can easily be dropped under the car!
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2014, 05:04:35 pm »

Sad to hear of your problems. I dont understand why they stripped the front of the car as the box can easily be dropped under the car!

That was a surprise to me too, but I think the manual might instruct them to do so to gain better access. I haven't checked it.

Anyway, it's well running now, and did the 2000 km home without any trouble at all. It was actually a nice experience to be caught in a stau near Hamburg for an hour or more, as the gearbox coped perfectly with the very slow driving. Coolant level was perfect all the way home, and still is. Next long drive is Le Mans in June (1500 km either way).

As a service they cleaned the car and the engine, leaving water in the front ignition. I've experienced that before, so I knew immediately what was wrong when the engine was only running on 3 or 4 cylinders, and went back to the garage. They looked quite surprised when I turned up, but fixed the problem immediately (removing the coil pack and cleaning out the water with compressed air is the way to do it).

Here's a photo of the car set and ready to go home :-)

/Anders

Used to own:
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2014, 10:39:17 pm »

Brian, I just checked the instructions on removing and refitting the gearbox. It instructs the engine and gearbox to be removed to refit the gearbox. It doesn't give a reason, but at least my mechanic followed instructions.

http://www.matrasport.dk/Cars/Espace/vault/JE/2996A_L7X_LM0_SPECIAL_NOTES.pdf (page 151)

Used to own:
renaultbiler

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2014, 10:09:36 am »

Glad to hear it turned out well in the end - one thing is getting stuck on your own but with the family stucked aswell is a whole other chapter.

When my gearbox packed up it was near to home and with the same whining noises. I shipped it to ZF for a rebuild and new converter, and 30k later its still shifting 100% perfect.

I replaced it outside our house with just basic tools and a couple of good jacks to lift the car up and help lowering and raising the box out/in, so its a bit overkill to take it all out. But its somehow a relief to hear when Renault mechanics actually reads and follows procedure. Perhaps a more common situ down in europe than home here.

I wish you many more years of purring 24v driving Smiley Mine is not going anywhere neither ! Only "problem" with mine is a noisy hydraulic lifter on warm engine that i need to sort out somehow. -sometime.

1980 Alpine A-310 w/GTA 2.5 V6 Turbo
2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
Service Online: www.servicehefte.net/servdata/?cid=qqkX
31mev

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2014, 09:16:51 pm »

Hi All
My first post (on any forum anywhere ever)
I am the proud (I think!) owner of a 1994 Espace 2.1 turbodiesel. It has covered 275000 miles (440000km).
The last 50000 miles it has been running on veg oil and still runs perfectly.
I have owned it for 13yrs and it has completed many runs to the alps carrying 6 people and a large camping trailer. It is a fantastic old thing and I cannot imagine being without it.

Andy

Espace 2.1td 1994
Range Rover 1994
Lotus Excel 1987

BrianM

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2014, 10:12:23 am »

Hi there Andy, congrats on your first ever post! & welcome to the forum. Yes, these cars do seem to keep on rolling. I don't do that many miles anymore so I guess I will not knock up the kind of miles you have any time soon. However these cars do go wrong & for as long as they do it will keep me in business Smiley Oh, if anyones thinking of running a dci on bio diesel then be aware that the acidity of it will weaken the seal in the hp pump on these bosch pumps, leading to filling your sump with it.
Regards
Brian
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 10:44:45 am by BrianM » Logged
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2015, 08:59:48 pm »

Getting very close to 290.000 km, the header tank has decided to give up. Cold-hot-cold-hot and some vibrations probably caused the failure. I've had a very hard time finding the leak, but today I finally spotted it: It turned out that the problem is around a supporting stud in the bottom of the tank. The photo shows the stud, its rubber thing that goes into a matching hole in the chassis has been removed for the photo.

A new tank is on the way!

Happy New Espace-year everybody :-)

/Anders
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 09:02:37 pm by Anders Dinsen » Logged

Used to own:
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2015, 09:53:58 pm »

Pretty and brand new header tank installed :-)

« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 09:57:03 pm by Anders Dinsen » Logged

Used to own:
renaultsan

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2015, 09:06:40 pm »

Our beloved Grand Espace 24v passed the 250,000 km mark today. It's 11 years old and still running like new. I can't imagine a better car for our family!

Congratulations, our 1990 2.0 has just covered 235200 km and running perfectly here in USA.

Renault Alpine GTA D500
Renault 25 V6 Automatic
Renault 25 TXI Multivalve
1990 Renault Espace
1974 Renault 15 TL 1300
1978 Renault 15 GTL 1300
Renault 25 GTX 2,2
Renault Extra 1.9 Diesel Vans (2)
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: