| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Clutch slip  (Read 4178 times)
JL

« on: August 13, 2012, 11:22:03 pm »

2 weeks ago I felt a little bit of clutch slip on my 1.6lt car, over the distance of about 8km a bit of slip became virtually  no drive. After checking that the release arm was free and not jammed I decided that I had no option but to remove the gearbox and investigate.

I armed myself with a new clutch kit, whipped the box out and found that there was still plenty of wear left on the clutch but the cover was very rusty with a wear ridge on the fingers - I can only assume that the diaphragm was jamming and not applying enough pressure on the plate. I took the shine off the flywheel and fitted the new clutch parts and the car is now fine and ready for its new MOT test.

Regards
John
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 09:19:44 am »

------
 I can only assume that the diaphragm was jamming and not applying enough pressure on the plate.
------

Perhaps some debris had gotten caught between the shaft and the release bearing. If it could not slide all the way back the pressure springs would not be able to apply enough pressure on the clutch plate. Just a thought since you write there was "plenty of wear left".

Matranaut par excellence Cool
JL

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 02:12:13 pm »

Quite possible, it would have to be something that either jammed the release bearing or the clutch diaphragm.

Regards
John
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: