| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Hello and my new Murena restoration...  (Read 112733 times)
klumzer

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 11:39:44 am »

SUCCESS! Got it running today for the first time in ten years.

Congratulations! That could be a nice moment! Smiley

I would be grateful if you wrote your experience about the Weber carb in your car.  Wink
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 04:47:09 pm by klumzer » Logged
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 07:23:56 pm »

Congratulations.

I would not put all effort in finding the right carb.
Fuel in the near future will be very lean.
That means that more and more ethanol will be mixed in it.
That will kill the engine's of our young-timers.
I am planning to put my Murena's  on auto-gas.
The cars run very good on it, and a classic installation will not be expensive.
My 27 years old Honda is already running on it.
The Murena's will follow.

[/img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Ir36Ckh9aRU/T2ex3LjriiI/AAAAAAAAAts/HkNOJ_7XDEE/s800/mventiel.jpg[/img]

Goverment is planning new rules.
Old cars can not longer enter city-centers, because of polution.
When the car is on gas there will be no problems concerning that.

Herman

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
klumzer

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 11:43:49 am »

Goverment is planning new rules.
Old cars can not longer enter city-centers, because of polution.

Every government has different plans. E.g. ours will raise the tax of the LPG next year... In my opinion people should be inspired to use LPG in elder cars but increasing tax is not so inspirational...

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 12:26:01 pm »

Every government has different plans. E.g. ours will raise the tax of the LPG next year... In my opinion people should be inspired to use LPG in elder cars but increasing tax is not so inspirational...

[/quote]

That is the case in the Netherlands.

Fuelprice Euro95  €1.85 a litre.
Fuelprice LPG €0.75

Normaly LPG drivers in the Netherlands have to pay extra Road taxes and LPG is only interesting if you drive more then 15.000 miles /year, however cars older then 25 years are are free of road tax.
So it is interersting to put the cars on LPG  if you make some miles in it or build it in by yourself.
Materials for the Honda were around €350.- and MOT 50 so it was ready for €400.-
The Murena's will be a bit more, but I think no more then 600 Euro.

It is not only because of the price, but it is intended to save the engine in the very near future.
I am not driving the Murena's very much (around 2000 miles a year) so the LPG is not intended to drive cheap.
After 10 years the LPG instalation will need to be partly renewed because of safety rules.

Herman
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 12:29:02 pm by Oetker » Logged

TimS

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 02:02:30 pm »

I've been thinking of LPG for my Golf. If the petrol prices go up more I may have to.

Now I can start the engine I decided to try and back it out of my garage but the clutch will not engage. If I press the clutch pedal in, nothing happens. So I cannot put the car in gear. I think the clutch cable may need adjustment. If not then a new clutch.

Does anyone have a pic of the clutch cable routing and where I can adjust it? A diagram or photo would be great. ( I really must buy a technical manual, even if it is all in French!)

If I can try and engage the clutch then I can use reverse. If not I'll fit a new clutch, but then at the same time i would probably rebuild the gearbox too.
klumzer

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 02:54:45 pm »

Murena has a hydraulic clutch operation. The master cylinder is beside the brake master cylinder and the clutch system use the brake fluid reservoir.
If you follow the plastic tube from the clutch master you will find the routing to the clutch slave cylinder under the car. Unfortunately I do not have any figures of it.

It is not difficult to find new clutch set for Murena 2.2, I also bought one. I also had to buy repair kits for the cylinders whiches contained new seals.
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 03:55:29 pm »

Yes, hydraulics and you can't adjust anything.
Best is to replace rubber in the front and rear cylinders, because if one leaks the the rubber in both will be at the end of life.
Repair sets are available at Simon.

Front.

No pics of the back because i replaced the cylinder completely.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 04:01:44 pm by Oetker » Logged

suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 06:33:59 pm »

Given the length of time that the car has stood, the clutch plate may have rusted to the flywheel.  There are various brute force methods that can be used to free it.  The gearboxes on these cars are normally quite robust and I wouldn't pull it to bits unless you know it's faulty.
TimS

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 07:21:56 pm »

I'm surprised that more is not seized on this car after ten years but it was surprisingly dry. There is a lot of 'feel' to the clutch pedal but obviously nothing happening to the clutch. Better to strip down or replace the cylinders first or attack the clutch plate?
klumzer

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2012, 07:55:28 pm »

I think it is not needed to buy new cyliders. They are very expensive. Better to buy repair kits and overhaul them.

Have you checked the brake calipers? They are also prone to get stuck. After reviving they look like these so it is not worth buying new ones.

The brake proportional valve  is also prone to rust. You can find it at the right rear wheel, under the car. Mine was very rusty outside, but it works perfectly, we tested it on a bench. A new paint and it looks like a new.

You can download a parts catalog from Simon's website, it was very useful for me just to see the structure of different systems.

http://www.simon-auto.de/matra/englisch/kat_mur.htm
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 08:11:52 pm by klumzer » Logged
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2012, 08:05:47 pm »

It can't do any harm to overhaul the hydraulics after all this time, although the fact that you can feel resistance at the pedal points to s stuck driven plate.
TimS

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2012, 08:33:05 pm »

Thanks. The brakes do seem to work although they will need an overhaul. How do you suggest I unstick the clutch pate?
TimS

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2012, 11:22:01 pm »

How easy is it to overhaul the clutch and brake master cylinders? Is it fairly easy and do Simon do a kit for both?

I also like the fact that some of you have painted the bellows and master cylinder. It looks a lot cleaner. What paint did you use?
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2012, 10:19:27 am »

How do you suggest I unstick the clutch plate?
The methods I've heard, with the disclaimer that I've not actually tried any of them, are:
1. Get the engine up to its normal operating temperature, wedge the clutch pedal hard down and leave overnight
2. If you have a suitable stretch of private road, warm the engine up, start it in gear and alternately accelerate and decelerate with the pedal held down
3. As above but with the car jacked up and the rear wheels off the ground
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2012, 11:41:07 am »

First look if the hydraulics work Wink
Let someone look if the rear cylinder comes out when you step down the pedal.

Herman

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: