| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print
Author Topic: Hello and my new Murena restoration...  (Read 112736 times)
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2013, 05:27:11 pm »

The top hat fits in the joint between the gear lever and the long rod that runs from front to rear.  You can access it from under the car by pulling off the rubber boot.
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2013, 06:26:55 pm »

TimS wrote:
Noticed this when I was having a look underneath, should there be a bracket here to hold the gear linkage?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3zq109xu4itgxs8/2013-01-17%2016.08.29.jpg

I have just been lying on my back under my Murena. The bracket on Tim's photo is the middle fixture for the fiberglass air guidance plate leading air up into the engine bay (by some called tank protection, however the tank already have a metal plate to protect its underside).

regards Hans
TimS

« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2013, 08:07:52 pm »

Thanks Hans. Is this an air scoop or the engine cover on The TUV approved cars?

Does anyone have a picture of what should go here?
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2013, 11:29:53 pm »

No pic because it is not to find on my car, but a drawing of the manual.
Still not clear to me Huh
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 11:33:49 pm by Oetker » Logged

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
FOB

83 Murena 2.2

« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2013, 12:00:17 pm »

Thanks Hans. Is this an air scoop or the engine cover on The TUV approved cars?

Does anyone have a picture of what should go here?
Take a look here:
http://www.matrasport.dk/forum/index.php/topic,943.0.html

Regards Finn
TimS

« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2013, 02:28:29 pm »

Thanks FOB. It does look like it is the bracket to hold this under tray in place.
TimS

« Reply #111 on: March 10, 2013, 05:58:59 pm »

I'm about to take the car for its first MOT in over 10 years next week, all being well. So I am just finishing off a few items to help it through.

One of the last jobs is fitting an original air filter system and working out how much of the wiring and hoses in my engine bay have been modified or changed to accomodate the current non-standard K&N pancake filter, which is pretty useless to me.

I've started refitting the main bracket to attach the filter and case but can anyone tell me where the choke cable is meant to attach? I marked it in the first photo. Does it fasten to the top of the metal hosing for the electronic socket?

Also I have a loose grey cable which was taped up and seems to have bee connected somewhere, sometime, coming down from this socket. Was it ever attached to anything?

Next the top air hose, that sits on the carb has two small pins on the base. Do they connect with the rubber cables to the lower air hose in some way? Where does the other one connect?

I know I am missing the very bottom hose of this assembly, but think I can make one for now with the siler, corrugated tube stuff until I can order one. But should anything go on the other intake of the lower air hose?

Thanks!

I am still trying to figure out the mess that is the breather hoses on my car so it may be trial and error.

suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2013, 10:52:51 am »

Good luck, Tim.  Looking forward to seeing your car at a Club meeting soon.
TimS

« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2013, 01:48:55 pm »

Well it passed the MOT so I'm road legal now!

It was good to have a good look under the car to see just how good the chassis is after 30 years. All the brakes are good, which is good news after we overhauled them all. The rear brake pressure reducer looks a bit the worse for wear though and could do with cleaning or replacing. As i need to replace some bleed nipples in the future this might all get done at once. Still some tweaks to be made here and there with the headlamps needing adjustment as well.

The coolant pipes running the length of the car certainly need doing soon, which will be a good time to renew some of the rubber on the vacuum system too as there must be a leak somewhere. 5 minutes after switching off the ignition, theres nothing left to raise the headlamps, although it works well with the engine running.

Quite a bit of old oil on the engine showing that in the past it has had probably had a cam cover leak at least. I'll need to scrub all this off and monitor it to see if any more comes out.

The exhaust emissions were a bit odd. The car has the twin exhaust, 4 down pipe system welded on by a previous owner. Almost running rich on one side and lean on the other, which is strange as its only a single carburettor. Suggested I have a look at the manifold first. There's going to be some tuning needed on the engine but it pulls strongly and seems very quick. Up to 70mph today and felt like it had a lot more.

The coolant went down quite a bit on the first run and the temperature barely moves past 50 when running on the road, but soon gets up to 90 at idle indoors. Enough to keep me busy now.

But at least I can get it on the road for test runs and club meets.
klumzer

« Reply #114 on: March 13, 2013, 09:52:24 am »

Congratulation!

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #115 on: March 13, 2013, 11:28:03 am »

Just in time for the summer.
Congratulations.
Now the car will show all his problems when you start driving it.
It will keep you busy for some time, but he, it's a nice hobby.

Good luck and lot's of fun driving Cool

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #116 on: March 13, 2013, 01:29:17 pm »

Congratulations.  Just in time to start enjoying the car if this winter ever ends.  Sounds as if you need a new thermostat.  For your headlamp problem, I would look at the electrovalve as well.  Remember that the lamps are powered down as well as up so you can lose vacuum in the down position.    Strip the valve down and check it, but don't lubricate it, just a dusting of talcum powder is all that's required.
TimS

« Reply #117 on: March 13, 2013, 08:35:10 pm »

Thanks, I'm going to get going on the snagging list this weekend.
TimS

« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2013, 04:11:17 pm »

Can anyone suggest replacements for these wheel arch trim pieces.

All the ones are missing from my car both front and rear. I have made temporary ones for the front wheel arches by cutting up rubber car mats and rivetting them in place. The rear pieces though seem thick and probably expensive.

In the rear wheel arches there is a gap both front and back. Are these parts still obtainable or do i need to make something here too?
klumzer

« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2013, 06:27:41 pm »

I managed to get a piece of plastic plate what could be formed by heat gun. We cut new covers and used new door seals at the sides.
Oetker mentioned plastic roof panels, if I remember well.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: