| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Additional information to Espace cooling 1985 to early 1990 Jii6 models  (Read 3827 times)
renaultsan

« on: June 14, 2012, 05:13:37 pm »

The low temperature radiator cooling fan switch I have fitted to my Espace is a Valeo part - Valeo number 819756. The normal operating range of the Renault radiator switch is 0n at 92C and 0ff at 82C.
The low temperature switch turns on at 78C and 0ff at 68C which makes sure the engine cannot get too hot.

I think this modification would work for most of the Espace range as the thread size seems to fit all the Renault range , spanner size is 29mm.

Renault Alpine GTA D500
Renault 25 V6 Automatic
Renault 25 TXI Multivalve
1990 Renault Espace
1974 Renault 15 TL 1300
1978 Renault 15 GTL 1300
Renault 25 GTX 2,2
Renault Extra 1.9 Diesel Vans (2)
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 04:59:11 pm »

The low temperature radiator cooling fan switch I have fitted to my Espace is a Valeo part - Valeo number 819756. The normal operating range of the Renault radiator switch is 0n at 92C and 0ff at 82C.
The low temperature switch turns on at 78C and 0ff at 68C which makes sure the engine cannot get too hot.

I think this modification would work for most of the Espace range as the thread size seems to fit all the Renault range , spanner size is 29mm.

The J11 Espace had one of two radiator fan switches depending on model.  The standard switch is a two wire single trigger switch that cuts in at 92 and out at 87 or 82 degrees (depends on make).  However some models (diesels and those with air conditioning) have a three wire double stage trigger switch since the twin fans operate at half speed whenever the air conditioning is switched on, and go to full speed if the temperature rises above the top temperature rating.  Without the air con. switched on the low temp. trigger is at 92 degrees (half speed on fans) and the upper temp. is at 95 degrees for full speed on both fans.  Both these switches are available from various sources such as Intermotor and Klarius (Quinton Hazell).

The two wire switch is the same as used on the Murena.  It has a 22mm x 1.5mm thread and 29.2mm spanner size, and two connections for the wires.  The three wire twin stage switch is the same size, but comes with a short flylead already attached, and a three pin plug to connect to the loom.  I have that switch on my J11 Espace with air con. and it all works fine (but I still have an over-ride just in case).

The problem with using the lower temperature switch you are suggesting, is that the engine will not run at its correct operating temperature so will be less efficient, and in cold weather the heater will be useless.  Since the interior of the Espace is vast compared to a normal car, you need the heater to be good to warm the interior.  I have driven an Espace here in the UK in winter without a decent heater and it was really unpleasant and could be dangerous, since ice forming on the inside of the windscreen is unreachable!

If you are having over heating issues or find it is running too hot and the fan is on a lot of the time, you need to look at the cooling system and where necessary overhaul it, not fit a lower setting switch.

The single stage switches are known to be unreliable and it is always wise to fit an over-ride switch with warning light that you can activate if the radiator switch fails.  Second, with a car as old as these are now, when was the thermostat changed?  They should be replaced about every five or six years.  Also when was the radiator last changed or at least cleaned?  After many years they silt up and become less effective.  That should be cleaned or changed if it hasn't in the last 12 years.  The coolant is a mix of anti-freeze and water that should be about 33 percent anti-freeze to 67 per cent water.  That should also be changed about every four to six years to replace the additives for corrosion resistance and water pump lubricant.  If it hasn't again the system will get worse quicker as scale builds up.  These are what should be done long before thinking of putting in a lower temperature switch.

Roy
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 05:19:12 pm by roy4matra » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: