| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Renovated Calipers, New disks and Pads, but….  (Read 23694 times)
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« on: November 02, 2012, 07:53:39 pm »

Today I finally got time to install the rear calipers that Roy has renovated for me. Smiley First I pulled the hubs in order to install the shiny new brake disks.
But, what the #%&#. The bolts holding the disk to the hub, that I had taken out, did not fit the new disks. Huh Huh Huh A thread gauge confirmed that the bolts were 10 mm/1,25 rise, but the holes in the disk had 10mm/1,5 rise.
A call to Simon and they checked that new bolts and disks should be 10mm/1,25. But they had sent me the disk, so they of course offered to send me a new set of disks right away.
All fine, but the day was blown Angry
Worse, the car must go to the MOT on the 13th. Cross my fingers the new disk gets here and weather permits doing the replacement in time. (Car is without wheel outside)

Matranaut par excellence Cool
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 11:26:39 pm »

Story of my life.
Planning things and ready to make progress, but the car or parts want let you, keeping the work-spot in use for days.
Its strange, because the rear 2.2 disks are only made for Murena
Factory fault???
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 11:29:06 pm by Oetker » Logged

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
klumzer

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 10:59:41 am »

Story of my life.

Smiley
I feel the same since I bought my Murena...

Usually shipping from Simon is quite fast so you can be optimistic.
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 11:43:46 am »

10mm x 1.25mm pitch seems to be a strange French quirk.  Here in the UK, if you ask for a 10mm fastening, you will always get 10mm x 1.5 unless you specify something different.  French cars, not only Matra, but Citroens, Peugeots and Renaults always use 10mm x 1.25.  Obviously the person who re-manufactured the discs didn't understand this.  Had I been in your situation, I would simply have gone round to my local stockist and bought some 10 x 1.5 bolts rather than go to the trouble of sending the discs back.  You may find that the replacements have the same fault.
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 10:13:15 am »

10mm x 1.25mm pitch seems to be a strange French quirk.  Here in the UK, if you ask for a 10mm fastening, you will always get 10mm x 1.5 unless you specify something different.  French cars, not only Matra, but Citroens, Peugeots and Renaults always use 10mm x 1.25.  Obviously the person who re-manufactured the discs didn't understand this.  Had I been in your situation, I would simply have gone round to my local stockist and bought some 10 x 1.5 bolts rather than go to the trouble of sending the discs back.  You may find that the replacements have the same fault.

Simons has not asked for the disks back. Not worth the cost, I guess. They are sending me new disks anyway.

About bolts, you will have noticed several 7mm X 1mm in the Murena. Those aren't seen on many other cars.  Cheesy

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 10:46:14 am »

I guess they will send you bolts.
Probably this is the new batch made in Hungary.
They all have the same problem I presume.

klumzer

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 06:42:01 pm »

I do not think so. I have bought a pair in Hungary and those were perfect. Otherwise human factor can cause any fault during production.

The Hungarian rear discs are available at Carjoy. I do not think that Simon has the same source, but I am not sure in it.
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 07:01:21 pm »

I do not think so. I have bought a pair in Hungary and those were perfect. Otherwise human factor can cause any fault during production.

The Hungarian rear discs are available at Carjoy. I do not think that Simon has the same source, but I am not sure in it.

I know Laszlo was busy preparing a batch from Hungary around 2010.
Normaly you see the the items come available  from all sources in Europe.
I don't know if they still co-operate since Ruud is gone at Car-joy.

The disks were unavailable for some time.
That's the reason why I had to switch to Alfa disks.
They work awesome so I will run them till they die.
That can take more then a decade or 2  Cool

Greet herman

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 08:10:42 pm »

Well the disks had arrived a while back and I got a replacement piston seal from Roy for one of the renovated calipers.
So the other day I started putting things back together again.
The wheel hub that I had so much trouble getting off turned out to give as much trouble putting on. It did not go on far enough for the wheel nut to be able to pull it back on. One thread got hold and, of course, stripped when I tried to let it pull the hub on. Instead I held the back part against the bearing while Jan pounded on a large socket pressed against the hub. After several good whacks there were enough threads engaged on the wheel nut to allow it to pull thee hub back on. With the notch lining up again with the grove in the axle, there was no play, but free movement of the axle. Got the calipers on, but by this time it got too dark outside to continue.
Part two later in the week. Grin

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 06:25:52 pm »

Part two later in the week. Grin
Part two:

The second disk installed easy. The hub was fairly easy to pull off but a little more difficult to put back on.
Calipers back on and brake hoses mounted. But the Banjos were a bit rusty on the surface and took some careful filing to get to seal. They are holding for now, but just in case I have ordered a new set of hoses.

Next comes replacement of the gaiters on the rack and pinion steering. I could have sworn that I replaced them right after I got the car 3 years ago. But they are completely shot so I have gotten new ones. Philbert has the same problem. New ones have lasted 3 years. Anyone else having problems with gaiters failing prematurely?

After that comes replacement of the cracked windshield. New one is waiting for fix of probable rust problem in bottom left corner of the frame, where the old one has cracked.

Good thing I have retired or I would never have time to keep up with the repairs.  Grin Grin Grin

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 08:46:41 pm »

---------
Good thing I have retired or I would never have time to keep up with the repairs.  
==========================================================

Just buy another Murena, and it starts looking like work. Roll Eyes

It is important to look at the hoses and brakelines.
Most were gone on the cars I have and 30 years old Shocked
Some didn't even pass fluid.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 08:49:46 pm by Oetker » Logged

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 05:53:12 pm »

Next comes replacement of the gaiters on the rack and pinion steering.
Well the gathers are replaced with no problems. That was the easy part.
Getting the air out of the brakelines and calipers was next. Had decided to do it without waiting for the new stahlflex hoses I had ordered.
The vent screw on the left banjo bolt came loose grudgingly. Airing it out did not go easy and is still not complete. Reason being that the stuff coming out was like mayonnaise rather than brake fluid. I will have to flush the whole system. Angry
The vent screw on the right banjo bolt broke  Shocked. So I loosened the banjo bolt and wrapped it in tissue paper and then pumped lots of fluid through. After tightening it up the brakes seemed pretty firm. But I will do it again after the stahlflex hoses arrive.

Update.
Well the hoses did arrive. But the supplied banjo bolts do not have a vent screw. Angry Worse. they have the wrong thread. they are 10mmX1mm where as  the calipers and original banjo bolts are 10mmX1,25mm thread.
I have written for a replacement. Hopefully they have them in stainless steel like the ones they sent. If not, I have found a pair on ebay that are 10mmX1,25mm with vent screw, but not stainless. We shall see.

The result of all this is that the car still has not been to its MOT. It should have been there on November 13th. I have called to ask what I can do. They say they will send me a (stern) reminder between Christmas and New years and after that I have 2 weeks to get it passed. If not I will receive a 2000 DKK. fine. Optionally I can turn in the license plates (un-register it  Sad)  Then I will have to buy new plates for it when I get it running. Still cheaper than the fine, so we shall see. It is going to be a race between getting new bolts, airing out the brakes and getting through the MOT before the deadline. Wish me luck. Cheesy

PS. Anyone want to buy a Matra Murena 2.2? Lots of spare parts. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

TimS

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 06:52:49 pm »

Had similar trouble with the rear ones on mine. Have bled the whole system, fronts work well but there is little braking with the foot pedal at the rear. How much is normal through the pedal?

The handbrake though works well.
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 11:09:19 am »

Had similar trouble with the rear ones on mine. Have bled the whole system, fronts work well but there is little braking with the foot pedal at the rear. How much is normal through the pedal?

The handbrake though works well.
I'm sure I've seen my car lock the rear wheels on the rollers at MoT time.  If you are having trouble bleeding the rear brakes, try removing the calipers, turning them upside down and bleeding through the nipple which is normally at the bottom before replacing them and bleeding through the banjo connection nipple.  Otherwise I would look at the pressure reducer for the rear brakes.  I think there is a thread on them in this forum.
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2012, 11:54:21 am »

Otherwise I would look at the pressure reducer for the rear brakes.  I think there is a thread on them in this forum.

I agree with Pete that the reduction valve could be the problem. There is a post here about the valve:
http://www.matrasport.dk/forum/index.php/topic,1728.0.html

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: