| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Espace III not registering milleage (odometer problem)? ** resolved **  (Read 6245 times)
sebastien

« on: January 04, 2013, 01:48:58 pm »

Hi,

I have an ESPACE III 2.0 Petrol (140cv)  Automatic gearbox "privilege" build in 2001. Chassis number start like this VF8JE0L0

so for the last number of day the daily and total counter is no longer registering the mileage we do. the Speed is still displayed correctly.

when I looked around the net a few people have pointed the problem coming from the speed sensor (Capteur de vitesse).
when I looked at my gearbox it did not seem to have a speed sensor located at the back of the gearbox (near the exhaust outlet) but located on the far side of the box. (i.e. the left hand side)

I also phoned a local Renault dealer who mentioned the fault could be coming from the panel.

Any suggestion?

Thanks
Sébastien

Update 06-jan-2013

the gearbox is a DPO 005 #005913.

yesterday in a 2.5 hours journey the transmission warning icon came on the dash and the gear box was stuck in 3rd gear untill we reach home.
I am guessing I must have something wrong and more serious brewing than the mileage not clocking up.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 08:03:18 pm by sebastien » Logged
nairn man

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 09:48:41 pm »

i have a similar problem, but no speed or milage, looked into this and the speed is sent from the abs to the uch located under fusebox then to the dash, but it cannot be a problem with the uch because everything else works
Sparky

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 06:05:36 pm »

Mine did this a couple of years ago on my Espace III 2.2Dci for about 6 months where the mileage shot from 52,000M to 87,000M and then remained static. 6 months later it started working again with the mileage returning back to normal and the original 52000M. It never added any mileage for those 6 months and has been fine for the last 2 years.
Luckily this happened between MOT's and was never recorded as I still haven't reached the 87,000M post yet.

Roll Eyes

Drives:
Renault Grand Espace III 2.2Dci The Race
Renault SL29 Trafic 1.9Dci, Citroen XM 2.1TD Break
BMW's K1200LT, R1100GS & R65
Staps

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 02:41:40 pm »

I’ve had no experience with the mileage not recording but have had the same gearbox problem on a MkII.
On long sustained motorway driving the gearbox would revert to limp home mode i.e. one gear, around town and A roads it never went wrong. If you stop and switch the ignition off then back on the fault is cancelled and the gearbox should be fine i.e. change up and down again. This meant you can drive as normal without screaming the engine, on long trips you may have to repeat.

I never sorted the problem but was told it was probably dirt inside the box, and replacing the oil may sort it, removing and cleaning the solenoid pack may sort it or a replacement gearbox to definitely sort it. I chose to live with it but sold it in the end to get a newer version.

Espace 3: 2000 2L 16v manual
sebastien

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 08:02:26 pm »

thanks for your responses.

In my search to figure out what would cause the gearbox to go to safe mode. I came accross a post in french related to the odometer, and other dash board problem.

One person advised to disconnect the battery and drain the car of all electricity static.
method:

- disconnect both cable from the battery.
- touch both disconnected cable together.
- reconnect after a few minute to the battery.

The problem was resolve for me. after a test drive my daily and overall cmileage counter are both clocking the miles.

my second problem remain a mistery, but I know i will need to change the gearbox oil as this was never done as as i am concern.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: