| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Yay - got my car back!  (Read 13471 times)
macaroni
YaBB God

Murena and Multipla - I like it 3 abreast!

« on: October 05, 2006, 02:52:16 pm »

Just picked my car up and most of the work I wanted done was done.

The charge light doesn't come on, the passenger window works, the gearchange is much improved too.

The nearside top swivel joint was replaced and the knocking over bumps has now gone.

The carbs mixture was reset and the popping on the overrun has stopped, not as much fun, but better for economy and performance.

Very pleased to have it back after so long, looking forward to my drive home now!!

Just thought I'd share this joy with you all.
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 07:16:33 pm »

Just picked my car up and most of the work I wanted done was done.
E X C E L L E N T  !     Great news!

Now, don't delay taking your friends for that drive, - go ahead, impress them with your almost 25 year old car.

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 09:27:55 pm »

HURRRRAAAA! (danish for hooray) :-D

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
macaroni
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 11:31:12 pm »

Cheers guys, it was raining hard on the way home and I'm still not used to the handling, so I took it slow.
I'm so excited about this car, I'm like a child! It feels like when I got my first 205, all those years ago.
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 09:55:17 am »

Cheers guys, it was raining hard on the way home and I'm still not used to the handling, so I took it slow.
I'm so excited about this car, I'm like a child! It feels like when I got my first 205, all those years ago.

Your rain has reached us by now.... so I also took it carefully this morning though I do feel I'm getting used to the handling - I just feel the lighter traction much more in this car. Besides, I *have* tried rotating my Murena 180 degrees on a wet track and I'm not going to repeat that in traffic (but we were pushing it to the limit).

One important thing: Check the tyre pressure regularly - it makes an ENORMOUS difference in this car. Mine was down to 1.5 (front) / 2.0 (rear) a couple of days ago (I simply forgot checking) - so I pumped it up to the 1.8/2.5 AND I GOT A NEW CAR!

I knew already that it was important (Roy told me his own experiences!), but now I've felt the difference myself.

- Anders Smiley

Used to own:
macaroni
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 05:32:18 pm »

Rain all gone now, its a beautiful day here.

How fast were you going when you span it Anders?

I checked the tyres this morning and the drivers side front was at 7psi!! Think it may heva a leak...

I went to get the tracking checked and the drivers side track-rod end had no threads left with which to adjust it, they were so rusted. It was at 2degrees toe out, so I'm going to order another one and get it adjusted correctly. I think I'll get the anti-roll bar bushes done at the same time, just for fun.

The car gets soooo much attention it is quite embarassing! As I pulled into the tyre place, 7 grown men all stared with open mouths as I drove up and they'd taken bets as to what it was, the guy that said it was  Bagheera won, apparently!
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 06:13:47 pm »

Definitely sounds like you wheel has a leak - could be corrosion creeping in, or of course a puncture.

Tyre pressure *is* very important, - almost as important as using high quality tyres.

Toe-out will certainly make the car very nervous :-)  - luckily track-rod ends are cheap, so its a good and simple solution to replace them.

Yes, the Murena gets a lot of attention, - but don't get embarassed, - be proud! - you own, and display a piece of automobile history, - and it even makes sense too ! :-)

PS: Anders wasn't doing high speeds when he spun it, -  I was right behind him :-)
it happened at our local skidpan track, where the track has a *very* tricky turn-2, that regularly catches people out - even if the speed is under 50mph. 

I wrote an article to the UK Matra magazine about my trip to that track with my previous Espace: http://www.matrasport.dk/Cars/Espace/story/skidpan/espace-skidpan.html

/Lennart
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 07:05:55 pm by Lennart Sorth » Logged

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 12:03:23 am »

PS: Anders wasn't doing high speeds when he spun it, -  I was right behind him :-)
it happened at our local skidpan track, where the track has a *very* tricky turn-2, that regularly catches people out - even if the speed is under 50mph. 

Sure, we had fun that day!!
I have no idea what speed I did - but in the critical moment where I realised I was going slightly too fast, I lifted my foot from the throttle. This shifted some weight towards the front, and since the rear was already on the limit - I lost it completely.
Try it! That's all I can say - it's a good experience.

Used to own:
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: